• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

FIBA U19 World Championships in Novi Sad

BigDirty

Any of you guys following this tournament?

I watched USA-Serbia this morning and it was a really good game (unfortunately the wrong team won). Because of the serbian school all of Serbia's players had awesome passing abilities even the 7 footers, so when USA switched to a zone Serbia picked it apart like it's nothing.

On team USA I really liked Stephen Curry, the son of Dell Curry, he made some very nice shots and showed some leadership, if he doesn't get into the NBA he can become a star in Europe.

On Serbia's team there wasn't a outstanding individual performance, it was all about the team, but there was one player that caught my eye, Boban Marjanovic. Marjanovic is 7'3 and from what I could get he's still raw and unexperienced, but his basketball iq and passing skills are awesome, especially for a guy his size. On defense he makes mistakes, but everytime he made a mistake he adjusted the very next play so he didn't make the same mistake twice. He has some post moves but still a lot to learn. He can't jump at all, but then again he's 7'3 with long arms. I don't know if he'll ever be a NBA prospect but he's perfect for the european teams, I want him in a ALBA uniform now!

The next game was France-Libanon but I really didn't watch it. The commentator said that France is very strong and has at least 7 players with NBA potential, I guess it will be exciting when they play the USA. France has a 7'0 center and he's no doubt the skinniest player I've ever seen (Snoop Dogg like skinny). His name is Alexis Ajinca, he's supposed to be a very talented and funny guy (I guess he'll be drafted by Seattle to go the Petro, Sene way wink.gif ). Here's a picture:

1147015093.jpg

You can either subsribe to the Eurosport webplayer (5€ for a month or 40€ for a year, in Europe Eurosport 1 & 2 are free TV channels) or you can use one of those internet streaming devices, but I don't know if it is allowed to post about them here so I will not post the address here. Unfortunately I can't watch the two games today cause at the time they're shown on Eurosport 2, Eurosport 1 is showing soccer U19 European Championship games and soccer>>>>>>basketball.

When the quarterfinals begin on 20th July FIBA offers a live video stream here: http://www.serbia2007.fiba.com/pages/eng/f.../5977/live.html

Just watched the first half of France-Serbia, the game is very close and there is an interesting center duell, the skinny, fast, athletic Ajinca vs. the slow, tall, powerful Marjanovic.

Both players are arguably the bests for their team today. Ajinca has made some nice dunks and even an alley-oop, Marjanovic often has trouble keeping up with Ajinca and he's easily faked, but when he's not fooled then he makes some nice blocks and always keeps his arms high in the air. On offense Marjanovic made some nice powermoves, they can't really stop him when he gets the ball downlow, unfortunately Serbia is not passing so much until now. Ajinca has 12 pts & 5 reb and Marjanovic has 10 pts & 8 reb.

Nicholas Batum, France's star, has only taken one shot, at least that shot got in.

The usual starting center for Serbia, Miroslav Raduljica, got injured after a few minutes.

Later USA plays Brazil, don't know if I'll watch it.

I think it's really strange that you US guys can't see the games on TV, you have like a gazillion TV channels but you can't watch Rocky Mountain Revenue, you can't watch FIBA U19 World Championship, can you at least watch FIFA U20 World Championship??? wink.gif But seriously, I don't understand it, basketball is MUCH bigger in your country than it is in most other countries, but your're the ones who can't watch an international tournament including your own team. If you get international channels, here's the complete channel list that show the games:

Quote:

Eurosport 2 - France & French overseas Departments & Territories, Germany, Austria, United Kingdom, Ireland, Finland, Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Denmark, Holland, Belgium, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Russia, Poland, Romania, Belarus, Montenegro, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Czech Republic, Slovak Republic, Hungary, Slovenia, Bulgaria, Armenia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia, Macedonia, Albania, Ukraine, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Turkey, Greece, Malta and Cyprus

Eurosport Asia/Pacific - Australia, Indonesia, Myanmar, Philippines, Hong-Kong, Malaysia, Brunei, Fiji and Maldives

RTS - Serbia

LBC - Lebanon

CCTV - China

TYC Sports – Argentina

ESPN Brasil, Sport TV, - Brazil

Hi TV – Nigeria

TVE Deportes – Spain

I was looking over the stat leaders after the first 6 games and there is a 6'10 brazilian guy, Paulo Sergio (Paulao Prestes), who is averaging 22 pts (leader has 23.2 pts) and 14.8 reb (2nd best has 10) while shooting 58%, not bad, not bad. Other stats:

ARG Diego Gerbaudo 5'11 PG 8.7 Pts, 4.7 Ast (Real Madrid)

ARG Nicolas De Los Santos 6'0 SG 14.2 Pts, 53% FG (C.B. Granada)

AUS Andrew Ogilvy 6'11 C 23.2 Pts, 10 Reb, 2.7 Blk, 75% FG (AIS)

CAN Kai Williams 6'6 SF 15.8 Pts, 6.5 Reb, 60% FG (South Dakota State)

CAN Devoe Joseph 6'3 SG 20.5 Pts, 5.7 Reb (Pickering HS)

FRA Nicolas Batum 6'7 SF 11.2 Pts, 6.2 Reb, 4.3 Ast, 68% FG (Le Mans)

FRA Alexis Ajinca 7'0 C 7.5 Pts, 5.3 Reb, 2.5 Blk, 59% FG (Pau-Orthez)

FRA Edwin Jackson SG 17.2 Pts, 57% FG, 44% 3FG

LTU Zygimantas Janavicious 6'4 PG 10 Pts, 3.5 Reb, 6 Ast, 64% FG (Alytus Alita)

SRB Milan Macvan 6'9 PF 15.8 Pts, 4.2 Reb, 70% FG (Zeleznik)

SRB Miroslav Raduljica 6'11 C 11 Pts, 6.2 Reb, 60% FG (Zeleznik)

SRB Boban Marjanovic 7'3 C 9.8 Pts, 6.7 Reb, 1.7 Blk, 63% FG (Hemofarm)

SPA Xavi Forcada 6'4 SG 17.7 Pts, 4.2 Reb, 59% FG (L'Hospitalet)

SPA Victor Claver 6'9 PF 18 Pts, 8.2 Reb, 53% FG (Pamesa)

USA Jonny Flynn 6'1 PG 10.8 Pts, 2.3 Ast, 57% FG, 42% 3FG (Niagara Falls HS)

USA Stephen Curry 6'1 SG 10.3 Pts, 4 Reb, 2.8 Ast, 59% FG, 50% 3FG (Davidson)

USA Patrick Beverley 6'1 PG 11.5 Pts, 4.8 Reb, 3.3 Ast, 65% FG (Arkansas)

USA David Lighty 6'5 G/F 8.7 Pts, 71% FG, 50% 3FG (Ohio St.)

USA Matt Bouldin 6'5 SG 4.8 Pts, 3.2 Reb (Gonzaga)

USA Deon Thompson 6'8 F/C 9.7 Pts, 4.7 Reb, 51% FG (North Carolina)

USA DeAndre Jordan 6'10 F/C 7.2 Pts, 3.2 Reb, 76% FG (Bellaire Episcopal HS)

Quote:

AUS Andrew Ogilvy 6'11 C 23.2 Pts, 10 Reb, 2.7 Blk, 75% FG (AIS)

Good to see the Aussie big man having a good tournament. He'll be a freshman at Vanderbilt in the season coming up. Hopefully the Aussies can repeat as champions!!

Cheers

Rick

Srbija won!!! woohoo.gif

Jeremic and Macvan were definitely the match winners for Serbia today. Macvan is either really smart or really really lucky, he is always at the right place.

The most talented US players during the tournament seemed to be Patrick Beverley, Stephen Curry (although he seems to be a bit arrogrant) and Deon Thompson.

France won the bronze medal game against Brazil.