• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Wednesday Insider

PIT preview: Where have all the seniors gone?

by Chad Ford

Send an Email to Chad Ford

Also Below: In or Out of the NBA Draft | Krause leaves lasting legacy | Mavericks humbled in Hollywood again | Peep Show

PORTSMOUTH, Va. -- What do Nick Collison, Kirk Hinrich, Luke Walton, David West, Brian Cook, Reece Gaines, Dahntay Jones and Josh Howard all have in common?

They are among the 32 college seniors who have decided to stiff NBA scouts and GMs this week by refusing to participate in the NBA's Portsmouth Invitational draft camp.

The first and only postseason draft camp for seniors, the Portsmouth Invitational (PIT) kicks off today. Seniors projected to be potential first-round picks have decided to forego the three-day tournament showcase in favor of either private workouts or the Chicago pre-draft camp in June.

It wasn't always that way for the PIT. This was the tournament in which players like Dennis Rodman, John Stockton, Charles Oakley and Dennis Rodman were discovered. While Collison, Hinrich, West, Cook, Gaines and Howard are all getting feedback that they're first-round picks, the rest of the absentees are more puzzling.

Boston College's Troy Bell, Arizona's Jason Gardner, Oklahoma's Hollis Price, UCLA's Jason Kapono, Creighton's Kyle Korver, Texas A&M's Bernard King, Tennessee's Ron Slay, New Mexico's Ruben Douglas and Pittsburgh's Brandin Knight all decided to skip the event despite being projected as likely second-round picks.

If that isn't egregious enough for you, over the last three days, eight lower-profile seniors -- Steve Blake, Marcus Hatten, Marquis Daniels, Marvin Stone, Derrick Zimmerman, Marcus Banks, Matt Carroll and Uche Nsonwu-Amadi -- all pulled out of the camp.

What is going on?

"There's a perception out there, that this camp is for bottom-tier prospects," one NBA scout said. "Kids gamble that they'll get invited to Chicago or that they'll be able to rest on their laurels from the tournament. Every year we spend as much time pondering who isn't there as pondering who is there."

The senior defections cause problems for NBA scouts. Up until last year, the NBA had a third draft camp, the Desert Classic, held in May. Most of the top seniors who skipped Portsmouth played there. Now, with everyone holding out until June to be seen, there is a pretty big scouting gap for many teams.

It can also be a problem for seniors getting bad advice. While no one who played in Portsmouth last year was drafted in the first round, several players, including Rasual Butler, Ronald Murray, Corsley Edwards and Matt Barnes, boosted their stock enough to make it into the second round.

How can 32 seniors feel comfortable with their draft status? Last year, only seven seniors were drafted in the first round, and only 15 seniors made it into the second round. If you project those same numbers this year, 10 seniors who skipped this camp won't even be drafted.

Still, there are a few seniors here who intrigue NBA GMs. Here's Insider's preview of the top 10 seniors at the PIT.

1. LaVell Blanchard, SG/SF, Michigan

The skinny: Can you believe that Blanchard was once ranked as the top college recruit in the nation? The 6-foot-7 swingman never had a breakout season at Michigan, but scouts still love him. He's a good shooter, a strong rebounder and is very intelligent. Many blame Blanchard's struggles in college to all of the problems at Michigan over the last few years. A couple of strong draft camps from Blanchard, and scouts could fall in love all over again. He's the most talented kid in Portsmouth.

2. Erwin Dudley, PF/C, Alabama

The skinny: A preseason first-team All-American who tossed out a dud his senior season. He would've been a late-first-round pick last season; now he's fighting to make it into the second round. While NBA teams love his physical play, post defense and rebounding ability, he isn't a great athlete. He does, however, run the floor well, has nice post-up moves and even developed a decent mid-range jumper over his career. Is he really 6-foot-9? Scouts will be watching his measurements closely.

3. Ugonna Onyekwe, SF, Penn

The skinny: This 6-foot-8, 225-pound swingman from England has scouts intrigued. He's coming off a huge game against Oklahoma State in the tournament. He scored 30 points on 10 of 12 shooting from the field. Onyekwe is a good athlete and a solid rebounder for his size. But scouts are going to want to see what he can do on the perimeter.

4. Kevin Johnson, SF/PF, Tulsa

The skinny: A great athlete who will have to make the transition from college power forward to small forward in the pros. Scouts say he's only 6-foot-7. He's very quick, a strong rebounder and an above-average shot blocker. Has some nice moves in the paint. Already has a pro body. His long arms and explosive leaping ability make up somewhat for his lack of size. He's going to have to show scouts that he can face the basket if he expects to get drafted. He reminds some scouts of last year's Portsmouth hero, Randy Holcomb.

5. James Jones, SF, Miami

The skinny: Scouts claim he could be one of the sleepers in the draft. James is a versatile, 6-foot-8 forward who is going to have to make the transition from power forward to small forward in the pros. Unlike most kids in this position, Jones already possesses a decent outside jumper. He shot 40 percent from behind the arc this season. He's a solid rebounder and an above-average defender. Scouts feel he's definitely got a shot at the second round if he plays well in Portsmouth and Chicago.

6. Jerome Beasley, PF, North Dakota

The skinny: Beasley has the size and strength (6-10, 240) NBA scouts love in a power forward. He's comfortable facing the basket, has a nice mid-range jumper, runs the floor well and is a decent athlete. He has the size and strength to back defenders down in the paint, though scouts say he doesn't do it enough. Beasley has the skills to make a big time leap on draft boards if he plays well in the draft camps. He averaged 25.5 ppg and 8.9 rpg this season. The biggest question about him has been the level of competition he faced at North Dakota. He can answer those question with a strong performance here.

7. Ebi Ere, SG, Oklahoma

The skinny: Ere had an up-and-down season for the Sooners. He can be an explosive scorer. He's at his best when he's taking it to the basket. Unfortunately, Ere spends a lot of time on the perimeter settling for what scouts feel is an inconsistent jump shot at best. He's already got the NBA body and he's an above-average rebounder for his size. When he plays aggressively, he can be very good. Scouts will be watching his measurements closely. Some feel he's closer to 6-foot-3; he's listed as 6-5.

8. Julius Barnes, PG, Stanford

The skinny: A lightening quick point guard with great athleticism. For years the knock on Barnes was his outside shooting. But he really improved this season, hitting 35 percent from beyond the arc. He's very good at attacking the basket. The question most scouts have about Barnes concerns his playmaking skills. Most scouts see him as a two guard in a point guard's body. That's the kiss of death in the NBA. If Barnes can show some pure point skills in Portsmouth, his stock will really rise. If he's content just to shoot it, he's looking at wearing a Lowgators jersey next season.

9. Jason Keep, PF/C, San Diego

The skinny: He's a wide body who likes to play physical in the paint. Keep loves to attack the basket, is a solid rebounder and has above-average hands. The downside is that teams wonder about his conditioning, lack of athleticism and tendency to get in foul trouble. He, along with Dudley, is the best big man here, but we're not sure how much that really means.

10. Ronald Dupree, SF, LSU

The skinny: Dupree is another undersized four who will have to make the switch, possibly to shooting guard, in the pros. He's got the athleticism and scoring ability to make the leap. But scouts are very worried about that inconsistent jumper. He doesn't have NBA three-point range right now, and that will be a problem. The one thing he does have going for him is an excellent defensive presence.

Others to watch: Jules Camara, C, Kentucky; Travis Watson, PF, Virginia; Sam Hoskin, PF, DePaul; Brandon Hunter, SF/PF, Ohio; Robert Jackson, PF, Marquette; Tahj Holden, PF, Maryland; Kasib Powell, SF, Texas Tech; Ezra Williams, SG, Georgia; Tony Bland, PG/SG, San Diego St.; Henry Domercant, SG, Eastern Illinois; Travis Hansen, SG, BYU; Kirk Penney, SG, Wisconsin; Brett Blizzard, SG, UNC Wilmington; Tom Coverdale, PG, Indiana

In or Out of the NBA Draft

Mississippi State forward Mario Austin pulled an about face this week, announcing that he will declare for the NBA draft. Just a few weeks ago Austin said he was returning to school for his senior season. What changed his mind (he did the same thing last year twice before eventually returning for his junior season)?

"It's just time for me take care of my family and do what's right," Austin told the Clarion Ledger. "I had been thinking about it for a long time. I based it on that. My mom can't work. She doesn't have any money to pay any bills. It's time for me to take care of my family."

Austin said he told reporters last month he was staying in school just to get them to leave him alone. "That was just something to get people off my back, to (have them) quit questioning me," Austin said. "I had my time at Mississippi State and gave them everything I had. Now it's time for me to look out for my family."

This time, Austin won't be able to change his mind. He hired an agent, Bill Duffy, effectively ending his college eligibility. Most NBA scouts feel that Austin's decision is a good one. While some question whether he's tall enough to play power forward in the pros, most scouts feel he's a late lottery to mid-first-round pick.

"He's not totally different from Elton Brand," one NBA executive told Insider. "He's in great shape, works really hard in the paint, has very long arms. He's not as tall or athletic as you'd like, but I think he has the chance to be real good."

Austin is a beast in the paint. Likes to play on the block. He can either back his defender down, or use his quickness to spin around him. Really throws his weight around. Has added a nice mid-range jumper to his game this year. The biggest knocks on Austin are his size -- some scouts claim he's closer to 6-7 than 6-9 -- and his lack of athleticism. He's not a leaper, which hurts him on the boards and when trying to block shots. He gets his shot blocked a lot and can disappear when playing against other big men.

Austin believes he's a lottery pick this year. "I don't know what number, but I think I'm a lottery pick," said Austin. "That makes a lot of difference as opposed to last year, when I would have been a second-round pick."

Minnesota sophomore Rick Rickert said Tuesday he'll also test the draft waters. Unlike Austin, however, he won't hire an agent right away, keeping his college eligibility in tact.

"Ever since I was a kid I've had this dream to play in the NBA," Rickert told the St. Paul Pioneer Press. "Now I have a chance to pursue this dream and fulfill it. It's a great opportunity, and I want this challenge."

Rickert consulted with the NBA draft advisory board before making his decision and came away believing that he'd go anywhere from 10th to 17th in the upcoming draft. That may be a bit of stretch. Several scouts here at Portsmouth have Rickert rated no higher than a late first-rounder.

"He's not ready at all," one scout told Insider. "He's not strong enough, he's not quick enough, he's not a good rebounder and he's going to get killed on the defensive end. He's an above-average prospect, but he's making a mistake."

Rickert knows the knocks against him, but he still feels he has something to prove.

"I know I have to get stronger, I know I have to get quicker, those are obvious things," he said. "I look at that as another challenge. Having to make this decision, you think about everything. What if I stayed a few more years? What if I went now, what would be better? You don't know. It all comes down to how hard you work at something."

Carmelo Anthony impressed one big-time NBA executive with his performance in the tournament: Michael Jordan.

"I think his coming-out party was during this tournament," Jordan told the Washington Post. "A lot of people have been talking about LeBron James and rightfully so, at the age of 18, and what he's capable of doing. But [Anthony] is a kid that came out of high school probably in contention with LeBron in certain situations and I think that one year of experience in college may make a big difference for him stepping into the pros."

So would Jordan take him No. 1? "I think he threw his name in the hat in terms of who could possibly be number one," Jordan said. "Everybody was looking at LeBron and you've got to give this kid some consideration, at least from my perspective."

Austin headed to NBA (this time it's for real)

Todd Kelly / Jackson Clarion-Ledger

Rickert plans to enter NBA draft, but plans to keep options open

Mike Wells / St. Paul Pioneer Press

This 'dream' could turn into nightmare

Tom Powers / St. Paul Pioneer Press

Anthony Earns Shot at No. 1 Pick

Steve Wyche / Washington Post

Krause leaves lasting legacy

To know Jerry Krause is to love Jerry Krause.

"He's one of the best general managers in the history of the NBA," said former Bull Ron Artest. "He has a nice family. His wife is awesome. He has grandkids.

"And he has six championships. Can't do any better than that."

Or hate him.

"During the height of the Pistons-Bulls rivalry, it was difficult to figure out whom Bulls players disliked most." wrote Terry Foster of the Detroit News. "Was it the Bad Boy Pistons? Or was it their own general manager, Jerry Krause?"

Heck, when the Chicago Bulls celebrated one of their six championships at Grant Park, the fans in attendance actually booed him.

His players called him "Crumbs" and laughed behind his back.

And we are left wondering if it had more to do with Tyson Chandler, Eddy Curry and Jamal Crawford replacing Elton Brand, Brad Miller and Ron Artest or was it Elton Brand, Brad Miller and Ron Artest replacing Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen and Phil Jackson. Maybe it was Tim Duncan, Grant Hill and Eddie Jones not replacing them.

Which is exactly the point.

''There were times we did not see eye-to-eye on various things,'' Pippen said. ''But we buried the hatchet a couple of years ago, and if I ran into him, I'd offer him a beer. I just hope his health gets better and he's able to be happy and enjoy life.''

Pippen says that he would love to play for the Bulls next year if it meant a management position in the organization would follow alongside former teammates John Paxson and B.J. Armstrong.

Jordan, on the other hand, declined.

"I'm in Washington, D.C. Why worry about Chicago?'' he said to Jay Mariotti in today's Chicago Sun-Times, reminding everyone that he already had a front office position. "Washington is where I started. It's where I want to finish.''

He went on.

"Winning became something very familiar in Chicago after I got there," he said. "We had good things there. We had bad conversations, too. Before I got there, it was always a wait-'til-next year attitude. Unfortunately, things went back to just trying to rebuild and getting back on track, and they haven't been able to do that thus far.

"Knowing Jerry like I know Jerry, I think physically he has been trying to do everything he can to get this team back to winning. The most important thing for him was to show that he could put together a winning organization without Michael Jordan, without Scottie Pippen, without Phil Jackson and all these other guys. I know physically it's taken a toll. It's about time he started thinking about himself physically, and I think everybody understands that.

"It's unfortunate about Jerry . . ."

Jordan, of course, went on to become the greatest athlete of the twentieth century. The Hall of Fame awaits Scottie Pippen and Phil Jackson is working on his fourth NBA title in as many years after leaving Chicago.

LeBron James, a high school senior, will be the first pick in the upcoming NBA Lottery which the Bulls will be eligible for . . . again. Kevin Garnett, at $25M a season, is the MVP frontrunner. Tracy McGrady is about to average more than 30 points per game.

In a league dominated by individual greatness, Jerry Krause staked his legacy on the franchise, instead. By now you know the quote. No need repeating it at this time and place when a man's health is in question.

To which we are left with Chandler, Curry and Crawford, three players who have yet to become full-time starters but are, then again, just getting started, to be the ultimate judges.

"In two years, when we turn this team around, I'm going to make sure people know Jerry Krause deserves a lot of the credit," Chandler said. "We won't forget him."

Pippen sounds conciliatory notes

Lacy J. Banks / Chicago Sun-Times

A tribute from 'Jerry's Kids'

K.C. Johnson / Chicago Tribune

Krause's magic faded when rebuilding failed

Terry Foster / Detroit News

Don't bank on MJ returning

Jay Mariotti / Chicago Sun-Times

Mavericks humbled in Hollywood again

Long before last night, the Dallas Mavericks began the season by winning their first 14 games. Before last night, they had won nine of their last 12. Before last night, they were the team with the best record in the entire NBA for 76 straight games.

Then came last night.

"We've fought them off all year," Dallas coach Don Nelson said in the Dallas Morning News. "To be in first place for that long is quite a tribute to those guys in that locker room. Hopefully, we'll get it back soon."

Last night, the Dallas Mavericks lost to the Los Angeles Lakers, 108-99, for the 25th consecutive time in Los Angeles, after losing to them on Thursday, 100-89. Earlier in the season, they fell to the Lakers despite having a 27-point lead at one point.

"We're dumber than a rock as a team, sometimes," Nelson said. "We [make Shaq mad]. We got an owner who talked about him and got him mad. We got [Nick] Van Exel talking about him and getting him mad. [shawn] Bradley gets him mad just by showing up. He just hates Bradley for some reason.

"Let sleeping dogs lie was always my plan. When Shaq came into Dallas, he played as well as we've seen him play all year. And then the next two games he kind of goes to sleep again and they almost lost both games. So maybe we'll learn."

Now, with about a week left in the regular season, the Dallas Mavericks have lost two of their last three, fallen from first-place in the West to third and, if the season ended at the end of this column, would face those same Los Angeles Lakers in the First round of the playoffs.

"A lot of times it's better not to wake a sleeping dog, so they say," said Laker forward Rick Fox in the LA Times. "A lot of people have been yapping.

"Nothing's been played. Nothing's been won. So it's all been premature. We can't prevent people from having opinions. But, the opinions have sometimes been quite laughable."

And all of a sudden, just last night, the team with the 57-20 record is the underdog against the team with the 47-31 record.

"It's going to take a lot more than crying and whining by underachieving big men to beat us," O'Neal said. "All of them. They all stink."

Long before last night, the Los Angeles Lakers had lost 9 of their first 12 games, didn't break even until February 4, 2003, and will probably finish with the sixth best record in the Western Conference.

"When the playoffs come, they are going to have the memory of what we've done and the groups we used," Laker coach Phil Jackson said. "Obviously, the key is that we feel we can win on their court. We have had success there and they haven't here."

Mavs fall out of first

Eddie Sefko / Dallas Morning News

Lakers Have Mavericks Off Balance

Tim Brown / Los Angeles Times

Peep Show

Orlando Magic: Orlando has lost four in a row and has back-to-back games against the Celtics and Pacers coming up with Drew Gooden injured and Pat Garrity probable, which prompted Tracy McGrady, sore ribs himself, to repeat himself over tonight's game against the Toronto Raptors. "Must win," he said. "Must win. We have to take this game as if we're playing a playoff-contending team." Of course, the 24-53 Raptors aren't, but, then again, the 39-38 Magic may not, either, if they're not careful, just 1 1/2 games ahead of the Bucks and three games ahead of the Wizards. "We have to win, to me, three more games," coach Doc Rivers said to the Orlando Sentinel. "Let's start now. If we don't win our home games, we're putting ourselves under the gun."

New Jersey Nets: Seven-foot-plus Dikembe Mutombo can't fit in theback seat so don't expect him to play that way, either. "He is our starting center," Nets coach Byron Scott said after Mutombo complained of averaging only 12 mpg in his five games back after missing four months. "There will come a time, maybe with two games left or two games into the playoffs, when it happens." To which Mutombo replied in the N.Y. Post: "We were just working out our differences. The team has always been more important [with me]. I never argued about that. I was more concerned with fitting myself into part of the organization because I've been out for a while."

Minnesota Timberwolves: Rasho Nesterovic has fallen, but he plans on getting back up. "I just try not to get upset, and just try to play my best, even when I know I can play better," he said of his recovering ankle injury. "I think every injury, you just have to get through it, try to forget about it and try to do what you did before." Nesterovic missed the first five games of his career when he twisted the ankle back on March 14. "His presence down there has been huge for us all year, and we missed that when he went out," said teammate Wally Szczerbiak in the St. Paul Pioneer Press. "Now he's really back to form. And that's what we need come playoff time."

New York Knicks: Despite being eight games under .500 and three games behind the Milwaukee Bucks with four to play, the Knicks are still dreaming of the playoffs after defeating the Atlanta Hawks Tuesday night. "We're still in it until we're mathematically out of it," said power forward Kurt Thomas, who had 15 points, eight rebounds and three blocked shots without having to take off any of his shoes to count. "Milwaukee's been playing well, but if we get a little help and continue to win games, we're still in the hunt." Uh, guys . . . the Bucks play the Clippers tonight. "We know our chances are slim, but we're going to keep fighting until it's over," said Latrell Sprewell.

Detroit Pistons: It was Ben Wallace who hurt his knee recently so it was only logical that Danny Manning was placed on the injured reserve to make place for Zeljko Rebraca, who had missed 50 games due to an irregular heartbeat, on the active roster. "When you are talking about a player the caliber of Ben Wallace, with his willpower and strength, you never want to underestimate him," said John Hammond, Pistons vice president of basketball, told the Detroit News. "Now, did we put Danny on the injured list because we assume Ben will be back? No, we know the chances are pretty remote. But whenever you are talking about Ben Wallace, you want to leave that window of opportunity open." Wallace was initially expected to miss two weeks and still might. "We've got to group-rebound, that's the key," Cliff Robinson said. "And we have to get back and make them play against five men on defense instead of playing a transition game. Before, if somebody got to the basket against us, we had Ben back there to block that shot. We don't have that luxury now, so we have to make teams play against a set defense."

Magic now in 'must win' game time

Jerry Brewer / Orlando Sentinel

Mutombo Awaiting Scott's Starting Nod

Dan Martin / New York Post

Rasho back on track

Robbi Pickeral / St. Paul Pioneer Press

Knicks Stave Off Execution

Marc Berman / New York Post

Pistons keep an option available for Wallace

Chris McCosky / Detroit News