• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

McDavid Closes in on Hawks

jaywalker72

As was reported widely almost a month ago, Dallas businessman David McDavid has reached the point of exclusivity in dealings with AOL/Time Warner for the purpose of purchasing the Atlanta Hawks and Atlanta Thrashers.

RealGM has learned that employees of the Braves, Hawks, and Thrashers were sent an inter-company email from Turner Sports Teams COO Terry McGuirk that spoke to a letter of intent to sell the franchises, as well as operating rights to Philips Arena, and that while the sale is not final; a letter of intent to sell to McDavid has been signed.

Also, later tonight, the Atlanta Journal/Constitution was told by Turner Broadcasting spokesman Greg Hughes the same information regarding the letter of intent.

McDavid himself told the AJC, "I am thrilled about the prospect of owning such an esteemed collection of sports and entertainment properties as the Hawks, Thrashers and operating rights to Philips Arena. This is one big step in a long process and there still remains a lot of work to do before the deal is completed."

"However, I remain confident that the acquisition will come to fruition. My family has always had a love affair with the city of Atlanta due to the many friends and business associates of ours who live in the area. I have visited the city quite often and am amazed each time at the level of excitement generated by its professional sports teams."

"I plan to build on this excitement and help solidify Atlanta's reputation as the sports capital of the world."

Read the entire article:

http://hawks.realgm.com/showarticle.php?artid=315

I hope this guy really means it.I hope this can be

a big step for a franchise that hasn't really had a

face.

With the bitterness of last season coming to a end,

I'd like to have something to look forward too for

next season.

Maybe he should change his name to Ronald McDonald, I'm starting to think this guy actually is a bigger clown.

"I am thrilled about the prospect of owning such an esteemed collection of sports and entertainment properties as the Hawks, (and) Thrashers.."

huh???? Esteemed??? When did that happen???

" I have visited the city quite often and am amazed each time at the level of excitement generated by its professional sports teams."

Does he mean the Octoberchokers, errrrr Braves, who's attendance has slipped steadily since their one and only World Series win? Or maybe he means the Thrashers, oh wait, Atlantans barely know they're a hockey team, don't even mention their 50 strong fan base HAHA. Hey maybe he means the mighty playoff bound Hawks! No wait a minute, if we negate the players families, they only draw about 10 fans per game (and that's counting Jeffrey Denberg and the pressbox guys!). He must mean college teams, no wait he said professional sports teams. Well I guess that could mean college teams. Other than the Falcons (note to McDavid, they play football) I don't exactly see Atlantans clamouring over the local teams. I just don't get this guy.

"I plan to build on this excitement (excitement about what? A 35 win playoff bound season or sending a lottery pick to Milwauakee??) and help solidify Atlanta's reputation as the sports capital of the world."

Say what???? Solidify Atlanta's rep as the what of the what? Please tell me he did not say that with a straight face. There are so many things wrong with that statement I'd hafta drag out charts and graphs to explain it. That's even funnier than the thought of Billy Knight looking Jason Terry in the face and telling him he's not worth a max contract (remember Billy gave Shareef 'isn't defence the thing that surrounds my yard?' Abdur Rahim and Michael 'who?' Dickerson max deals AND traded Mike Bibby for Jason Williams LOL) without doubling over with laughter.

'McDavid has since sold about 70% of his lucrative auto sales business that bears his name..' Ah ha, here we go, used car salesman, NOW it all makes sense LOL! Let me guess, the Hawks and Thrashers were previously owned by little ole ladies from San Antonio who only drove em to church on Sundays. HAHAHAHAHA.

My, my, aren't we toutchy today! Excitement? Heck yes!

You didn't notice??? My gosh, the kid just bought for

himself a new toy, in fact, two of them. Don't try to

spoil things for him yet. There will be plenty of time for

that later.

The Thrashers are a young, growing and upcoming team

with a real chance to improve next season to the point

hockey fans will go wild in Atlanta.

The Falcons {Remember, they are in Atlanta, too} are now

selling out every game instead of playing to an empty house.

New ownership had a big hand in that, plus M.V.

The Hawks need new blood. We have that in a new owner.

If he can sell used cars, just maybe he can sell Atlanta on

the Thrashers and Hawks, as Blank has the Falcons.

I doubt he would have said those things had he

paid the price that forbes said the Thrashers and

Hawks were worth.

However,he just got his team and as Gray Mule

said he's little happy he got what he wanted.Hope

fully he'll hire a good marketing department.The

Hawks(like the league overall)are being market

correctly.Atlanta Hawks need to be "hip"if fans

are too go there...They are to feel that it's the

cool thing to do.

The current Hawks don't understand about that.

I'm trying to be a little bit postive about this...

Ah, it's nice to see somebody digging up the "Atlanta does not support its sports teams" myth.

Sorry, but it doesn't fly. Of course, Atlantans do expect one small thing in order to support their franchises: winning. Check the facts. The Braves remain one of the top teams in attendance (although attendance has dipped lately, which is expected for a team that has gone backwards since 1995).

The Falcons are sold out completely next year for every game. Why? Arthur Blank and Mike Vick help. But if they were losing, it wouldn't matter. Historically, the Falcons have sold out their venues when they put a winner on the field('98, '91, '80). The Hawks have also historically had good crowds when they were winning, as recently as 1998 (I believe Hotlantadude posted the numbers in another thread).

I'll bet you that when the Thrashers (and Hawks) start winning again, they will have no problems filling Phillips arena.

But hey, I guess you would rather have Atlanta fans support bad teams. Me, I don't think losing should be rewarded, and apparently most of the city agrees...

My thoughts exactly. It amazes me why people continue to pile on this city for having the common sense not to spend $$$ on a consistently bad product. Why go to a bad movie when you already know the ending? What the [censored] is so wrong with that notion? Give me something worth spending my hard-earned dollars for and I'll come; otherwise, don't bother. That's the way its done in movies and other forms of entertainment. Now don't get me wrong; I've been a lifelong fan of the Hawks, Braves, Falcons, as well as the Thrashers but I utterly refuse to spend $$$ when the results aren't there. It would be an entirely different story if the Hawks had a few more banners hanging up in the rafters of Philips Arena. If they had been in an NBA Finals or two, even if they been conference finalists on a few occasions. When was the last big game the Hawks had been in that the entire basketball world stopped and took notice? No one cares about beating the Kings in March; give me some victories in May and June when it really MATTERS. If the Hawks had only done that throughout their 35 years here, then, and ONLY then would I agree with you. But they've never reached that level, haven't they??? As bad as the Falcons have been, even they can say that they've played one more big game than the Hawks have. At least they have a trophy that they've won since the Kennedy era that means something. Call it fairweathered, call it what you want. You know what I call it? HUMAN NATURE.