• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Grifefy Jr to the Braves?

frosgrim

Terence Morroe, who every so often has a good idea, proposes that the Braves get Ken Griffey Jr ( Link)

Griffey has a year left on a 12 million per year contract. The match certainly seems to be there between the Braves and the Reds. Griffey loves the Braves and would love to play for Bobby. Second, according to Moore, Frank Wren, wants to fill center field through a trade for a vet who will give way to the youngsters coming up through the system in a season or two. The Braves have talent to send as well.

The Braves' line-up becomes very hard to deal with if Griffey is acquired:

Johnson (2nd)

Escobar (SS)

Chipper (3rd)

Tex (1st)

Griffey (CF)

Francouer (RF)

McCann ©

Diaz (LF)

Pitcher

There are no holes in that line-up. Its well balanced from a side of the plate.

Dont get me wrong I would love to see that lineup everyday BUT we would be in the same boat as this past season...no pitching. I just wish for once we could balance this thing out. It seems the yrs we have killer offense we have aweful pitching and vice versa. While getting griffey would be great I submit we sign a FA CF by the name of Aaron Rowand. Will be cheaper than Griff plus we dont have to give up anything to get him. Whne our youngsters r ready we then trade Rowand. I dont know how much cash we have to throw around but I am guessing around 20mill wiht the departure of Ren and AJ. Split the money between Rowand and say Tommy G. We would still have the money to resign Tex when Hamptons bloated deal comes off next yr. I think Wren is going to make some big deals this offseason to cement himself as the new GM. Hard act to follow in JS.

• Moderators

There are two problems with Rowand:

(1) He is not going to come cheap - he will get a serious contract; and

(2) He will want to sign long-term.

If we really want a short-term fill-in at CF until next season when we promote someone from the minors, Griffey might work out pretty well. Losing Jones and Renteria frees up some serious payroll $$. If the team was serious about raising the cap, we should have enough to add Griffey and some help for the rotation (most likely Glavine).

For me, the attractiveness depends on what the Reds want out of a trade. It can't be all that much for me to go for it since the $12M and injury risk is already a significant payout for the Braves, IMO.

There is ONE decent FA pitcher on the market and he's a #3 starter at best, Carlos Silva of the Twins. The other option for pitching is Glavine who is an OK 1 year and done player. His arm strength really faded towards the end of last season, but he still can get outs and pitch into the sixth inning, at least through the first 2/3 of a season.

Hence, the options for another pitcher will have to come via trades. I am not sure the Braves have what it takes in terms of major league talent to make a trade for a legit #1 or 2 starter. There are a lot of guys that the Braves have at the AAA level that maybe ready to make the jump.

Now, the question about Griffey. The Braves need another CF. If the Braves can get him for that outfielder just acquired from the Tigers plus one of the pitching prospects, that seems to be a good trade for both teams.

In sum, I don't see where the Braves can get a top-level pitcher at this point in time. Maybe a deal could be made for Dontrel Willis, but he had a horrible year for the Marlins. Other than Willis who is available? (and I am not sure Willis is available)

Santana certainly would be an amazing addition, but what do the Braves have to offer? Lillabridge and Key, plus some A-level prospects maybe. The question is what do the Twins want for one of the top 5 pitchers in MLB right now?

• Moderators

Quote:

Santana certainly would be an amazing addition, but what do the Braves have to offer? Lillabridge and Key, plus some A-level prospects maybe. The question is what do the Twins want for one of the top 5 pitchers in MLB right now?

I would say that Santana is clearly the top pitcher in baseball right now. They are going to want a LOT for him. A team like the Yankees will absolutely break the bank to sign this guy.

The problem with the Yankees is that they can offer money (for next year) but in a trade this year, I don't know what they have in the minors or what they can take off their major league roster.

Since Santa is a FA after this year any trade for him must be accompanied by a long-term contract (for the Braves). The team already has to figure out re-signing Tex, I don't see how they could do both Tex and Santana. However, if Liberty is serious about raising pay-roll then it shouldn't matter. Santana in the Braves rotation would be sick:

Santana

Smoltz

Huddy

Glavine/Hampton/James

James/Key/??

At any rate, I really don't see how the Braves can get Santana. Dontrell Willis, IMO, is an option if we offer the right minor league kids to the fish. I think Willis just needs to get out of S. Fla. to be effective again.