• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is the problem Woodson?

Vesper

Player Quotes

"Really, it's on us as players. Because we didn't use the game plan we were given as far as taking Al Jefferson out of the game. He got them going. But in the second half we stuck to the game plan and well, 12 points in each quarter ... you can't get much better than that."

"I don't think you can ask for anything better than that," Marvin Williams said. "Once we made our minds up to defend and be more aggressive in the passing lanes, things that coach tells us all the time, this whole game turned around."

It looks as if Woodson is making the correct game plans but the young Hawks are just being hard headed and not following the plans!

Let's see, he listened to his high school coach and landed a scholarship to a top 5 college basketball program. He listened to his college coach and accepted his role on the bench, hit the game winning shot in the title game, won a National Championship, was discussed as a possible #1 pick after his freshment season and was selected 2nd in the NBA draft. Hmm, I wonder why he would think listening to his coach would ultimately benefit him and his team?

Quote:

Let's see, he listened to his high school coach and landed a scholarship to a top 5 college basketball program. He listened to his college coach and accepted his role on the bench, hit the game winning shot in the title game, won a National Championship, was discussed as a possible #1 pick after his freshment season and was selected 2nd in the NBA draft. Hmm, I wonder why he would think listening to his coach would ultimately benefit him and his team?

I agree. Marvin's coachability is one of the things I like most about him. I wish more players were like him in that regard.

Quote:

Quote:

I agree. Marvin's coachability is one of the things I like most about him. I wish more players were like him in that regard.

Horford seems to be very much that way. My guess Law is too with his focus on distributing vs. scoring. Chillz seems pretty coachable too.

My guess is Smith is a victim of his environment. He's been told his whole life that whatever team he was on was HIS team. The Hawks didn't do him any favors by starting him his rookie season, when the Hawks were awful, and telling him and all of Atlanta that he was the future. Had they been in a position to bring him along the way they have Marvin, he may be more coachable and have the maturity he seems to lack.

I wonder if the latter has to do with some of why this team is divided. Joe was brought in to be "the man," but they had already sort of handed this team, marketing and otherwise, to Smith - the hometown boy. Now Joe probably wonders why, as an all-star, Smoove is "the face" of the team. I think the Hawks FO dug the roots of this divide, and rather than right the wrong, seem hell-bent on letting it work itself out.

Quote:

Player Quotes

"Really, it's on us as players. Because we didn't use the game plan we were given as far as taking Al Jefferson out of the game. He got them going. But in the second half we stuck to the game plan and well, 12 points in each quarter ... you can't get much better than that."

"I don't think you can ask for anything better than that," Marvin Williams said. "Once we made our minds up to defend and be more aggressive in the passing lanes, things that coach tells us all the time, this whole game turned around."

It looks as if Woodson is making the correct game plans but the young Hawks are just being hard headed and not following the plans!

Is he brown nosing the coach? If the coach tells them to double team Al, how did they deny the coach in the first half? Why wasn't woddy yelling at them to double team? Is he slow?