One Nice Piece of Coaching Last Night

AnakinJoe

T'Wolves had made the comeback and were actually building on their slim lead very late in the 3rd quarter. Hawks were not doing what they were supposed to be doing (doubling Jefferson in the paint) and they were being abused. The common ploy when the other team has strong momentum is to call a time-out. Woody did not. He let the Hawks look like selfish, undisciplined losers in the last 75 seconds of that quarter. He allowed them to walk to the bench at the end of the quarter to the sound of boos. He allowed them to hit "rock bottom" so they could feel the humiliation.

I am far from a Woody fan. But I thought that was a smart coaching move. If nothing else, we should feel comfortable that Woody has taught this team defensive fundamentals. If they choose to act like they have never seen a pick and roll before, that is on the players on the floor. If they choose (after the first half of the last T'Wolves game) to not double Jefferson in the paint, then why should Woody have to waste a timeout to tell them for the upteenth time how to play defense against a team with a single offensive weapon?

Our offense is uneven (at best) and he obviously was about to call the wrong play at the end of the game (thank goodness for AJ's skunk face), but I thought he handled the poor defensive effort at the end of the 3rd quarter in a very good way. Those players are accountable for their defensive intensity and executing the defensive principles they have been taught for 3+ years. He allowed them to dangle from their own rope for about 75 seconds... nice move.

Quote:

T'Wolves had made the comeback and were actually building on their slim lead very late in the 3rd quarter. Hawks were not doing what they were supposed to be doing (doubling Jefferson in the paint) and they were being abused. The common ploy when the other team has strong momentum is to call a time-out. Woody did not. He let the Hawks look like selfish, undisciplined losers in the last 75 seconds of that quarter. He allowed them to walk to the bench at the end of the quarter to the sound of boos. He allowed them to hit "rock bottom" so they could feel the humiliation.

You really think Woody was smart enough to do this? There is no way this was a "coaching move". Although I do agree the crowd could do a better job of coaching that Woody does.

Give us the damn chalkboard!!! smile.gif

• Admin

I'm at a point where I think that most in-game moves that Woodson does that actually work to our advantage are simply luck. How good of a coach do you have to be to call a timeout to draw up the last play of the quarter/half/game and that play ends up being nothing more than an iso for JJ.