• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Mike Fratello pulls name from Hornets list

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0602/1562088.html

NEW ORLEANS -- Mike Fratello withdrew from the New Orleans Hornets' coaching search Monday, leaving Brian Hill and Tim Floyd as the only candidates the team has identified.

Fratello, a former Atlanta and Cleveland coach who now works NBA broadcasts for TNT, declined to go into further detail about his decision.

Bob Bass, the Hornets' vice president of basketball operations, also declined comment on the coaching search. But Bass has left open the possibility the Hornets could add candidates as they become available, such as former Detroit coach Rick Carlisle, who was fired Saturday.

Carlisle said Monday he intends to speak with two teams during the NBA's pre-draft camp in Chicago, but he would not identify them.

Bass and his scouting team plan to be in Chicago this week.

Carlisle was fired with one year and $2 million left on his contract despite winning two straight division titles and the NBA Coach of the Year award in 2002. This season, Carlisle's Pistons advanced to the Eastern Conference finals before being swept by New Jersey.

The Hornets' search for a new coach began May 4 when they didn't renew the contract of Paul Silas, who was hired Monday by the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Floyd, who coached the Chicago Bulls for three-plus seasons after Michael Jordan's departure, lives in New Orleans and was the first candidate interviewed.

Hill, a former head coach with the Orlando Magic and then-Vancouver Grizzlies, was an assistant with the Hornets the past two seasons."

Is he waiting on the Hawks?He seems like he's waiting

on something to me.

• Premium Member

I think two things are here.

1. He wants the Atlanta Job. I think he maybe wants to be HC/GM.

2. The Charlotte Job has been blacklisted. Every coach who has wanted to coach has turned it down. It makes sense. They gave up on a very good coach for no apparent reason. Good Coaches have come together to not accept that position.

I supposed N.O. will take Floyd because they will have NO Choice.