• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Let's take the Hawks Soap Opera to the tilt....

Diesel

• Premium Member

Ok,

Playing off of CoachX. (I think).

Let's say Hawks Ownership sat down with Larry Brown when we played Philly Last. And they said " What do you see as the problem?"

LB: I don't think Woody is the problem. I think he has been giving a bad hand and he's playing with it the best that he can.

ASG: What's the problem?

LB: You have too many wings and not enough essential pieces. You need good players at the 1 and 5 if you want to survive in the NBA.

ASG: If you were GM what would you do?

LB: My sources tell me that Bibby is on the blocks. I would go out and get Bibby. He's got a large contract so he should be cheap.

ASG talks to BK, encourages him to find a good deal for Bibby. He does.

BK: OK, now we're going to finally fire Woody right?

ASG: NO. There's no problem with Woody. We will let him ride out his contract....

Now, if this was the way it happened, I can see BK kinda being a little peeved and maybe him and his agent leaking that he has tried to fire Woody three times. BK has to realize that somebody else is calling the GM shots (Larry Brown) and he needs to clear the air about certain GM decisions he has made so as to not look like it was all him all the time. Unfortunately for BK, he will always be the man who took Marvin over Chris Paul.

But to keep the Soap Opera going... here's the prediction.

Larry Brown becomes GM.

He allows Mike Woodson to continue as HC... but he probably brings in a top assistant to handle the offense.

Larry Brown also goes for a veteran big man. LB has never been one to deal with young players very well, so I see him going for some more vets.

The big might be a guy like Brad Miller...

LBrown has to love a guy like Horf.

LBrown might not be so fond of Smoove. I just don't remember LBrown getting along too well with young passionate players like Smoove. Well, he did get Sheed??

How do you think LBrown will build the Hawks?

Ya that radio talk today made me dream up something very close to that.

It makes alot of sense as to why BK would now air all the bad laundry to save face for a futue job. BK has never given info like this out before, he alwayse been so secretive until now.

Larry Brown loves defense so much I think he would find away to deal with Smoove. However, Brown would demand Smith play with more awareness and force less on the offensive end. He would force Smith to play under control offensively . It will be tough at first but eventually Smith could credit the "tough love" for helping him learn how to play the right way much like Chauncy Billups did for Brown. Larry Brown will deal with attitue problems if your talented(Wallace and at one time Billups) he just won't deal with an attitude problem if you have no talent (Darko, Starbury, Francis).

I bet Brown loves Chills and his energy and intangibles off the bench.

The main difference I see with BK and Larry Brown is with the perspective of Marvin Williams. Marvin is the '''golden boy' in BK's eyes and just an average SF to Larry Brown. ..I bet Brown sees Marvin as the piece that does not fit. He probably feels that a veteran with the mind set of a defensive stopper rounds out the chemistry. (Brown does not have the patience to deal with a #2 pick who lacks agression) (see Darko in Detroit)

I am sure he loves Horford's play.

Brown is probably more realistic about JJ then is BK.

Brown probably likes Bibby's vetran savy & ability to lead.

I bet he likes what he sees in Solo.

I am positive he hates ZaZa's lack luster D.

Bet he would go after a true big like Diop.

I bet Brown likes Law as a long term NBA PG. He seems to be so much like Chauncy Billups why not ?

The main bonus I see in in bringing Larry Brown in as GM is that the ASG would have to committ to allowing Larry Brown to call all the shots and give him the money or ability to spend luxury tax to balance out the roster and bench. LB is going no where to be a puppett for owership. Another plus is that Brown would at least explore the possibility of trading Marvin. I doubt BK would ever even say those words much less put feelers out around the league togage his value. Brown may also listen to offers for JJ where BK may not even listen.

The main draw back with Brown as GM. He may keep Woody as coach.

Yea, this is assuming Woodson still wants this job. He my bow out to take a college coaching job after this mess.

I do think that keeping Woodson wouldn't be too bad if we got an excellent offensive coach. But hey, I'm no expert.

Honestly, at this point, I'm just enjoying the rest of the season. I want to see what these young players can do with Bibby at point. Whatever happens at the end of the season is basically up to the ASG.

Of course, this assumes that we had a bottom 5 payroll because BK wasn't looking to add pieces. It assumes that BK wanted 9 players on their rookie contracts entering this season. It assumes that when Harrington was a UFA, he wanted to make a non-basketball move as opposed to receive a player of comparable value/skill. It assumes that Speedy's recent transition into a cash cow (and Hossa being shipped out) had no influence on the ability to add payroll to the Hawks. And it assumes that the owners are okay with BK sitting there from August-May doing virtually nothing to improve the team, after all, they had to tell him to "go get Bibby", while he spends his day playing Orbitz games on his PC.

So assuming all of that, and Larry Brown came in and was given a $10M payroll increase to find the missing parts (& autonomy), then immediately upon having the roster in tact, he would pull a Pat Riley, send Woody on special assignment and take over as coach of the team.

Of course, with a $10M increase in payroll (and autonomy) BK might just be able to find those missing pieces on his own. And if he could hire a competent coach, he might be able to make it to the 6th seed with only a $5M increase in salaries.

I would absolutely hate to see Brown on the Hawks in any capacity. We need help on offense, not defense so much. Has LB ever had a top offense? I am not exactly sure but I don't think he has.

Or

The ASG may not trust BK to make the FA moves to better the team after the signings of Speedy Claxton, ZaZa Pauchullia and Lo Wright as his most noteable FA catches to date.

However, maybe they trust a guy like Larry Brown to do this more then BK.

I think your right. The ASG are basically making BK the fall guy and BK is saying he will not have it. He will let the world know he was operating under strict restrictions before he allows his reputation to take a hit. I can't blame him for that. The ASG can save face by bringing in a well known basketball guy like Larry Brown with a still recent Championship Ring to bling around town. Meanwhile, BK can only save face by by airing dirty laundry (who could blame him?)

Quote:

Or

The ASG may not trust BK to make the FA moves to better the team after the signings of Speedy Claxton, ZaZa Pauchullia and Lo Wright as his most noteable FA catches to date.

Here's my problem with that. Those signings still left us with a bottom 5 payroll, which means that he was shopping at The Dollar Tree while everyone else gets to go to Best Buy or Circuit City for their electronic equipment. So when the Dollar Tree surround sound doesn't sound quite right, whose fault is that? The other thing is that those signings took place 2 seasons ago. If you didn't like the results of those signings, why wait until the 11th hour to lose confidence? At this point, they have lost confidence in a GM who can't make a trade until the season is over and his contract is what, less than 30 days from expiring? Boy, these guys are REALLY decisive, huh? Nothing like putting your foot down on a 4-5 year relationship AFTER the GM's last trade deadline. It's like quitting a really bad summer job 2 days before Labor Day. Yeah, that's making a bold statement. What a FREAKIN' JOKE!

Quote:

Ok,

Playing off of CoachX. (I think).

Let's say Hawks Ownership sat down with Larry Brown when we played Philly Last. And they said " What do you see as the problem?"

LB: I don't think Woody is the problem. I think he has been giving a bad hand and he's playing with it the best that he can.

ASG: What's the problem?

LB: You have too many wings and not enough essential pieces. You need good players at the 1 and 5 if you want to survive in the NBA.

ASG: If you were GM what would you do?

LB: My sources tell me that Bibby is on the blocks. I would go out and get Bibby. He's got a large contract so he should be cheap.

ASG talks to BK, encourages him to find a good deal for Bibby. He does.

BK: OK, now we're going to finally fire Woody right?

ASG: NO. There's no problem with Woody. We will let him ride out his contract....

Now, if this was the way it happened, I can see BK kinda being a little peeved and maybe him and his agent leaking that he has tried to fire Woody three times. BK has to realize that somebody else is calling the GM shots (Larry Brown) and he needs to clear the air about certain GM decisions he has made so as to not look like it was all him all the time. Unfortunately for BK, he will always be the man who took Marvin over Chris Paul.

But to keep the Soap Opera going... here's the prediction.

Larry Brown becomes GM.

He allows Mike Woodson to continue as HC... but he probably brings in a top assistant to handle the offense.

Larry Brown also goes for a veteran big man. LB has never been one to deal with young players very well, so I see him going for some more vets.

The big might be a guy like Brad Miller...

LBrown has to love a guy like Horf.

LBrown might not be so fond of Smoove. I just don't remember LBrown getting along too well with young passionate players like Smoove. Well, he did get Sheed??

How do you think LBrown will build the Hawks?

LB may be your worst nightmare. He's a UNC loyalist to the bone...