• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Miami May Be Willing To Deal Second Pick

sinctybldh

Options abound with Heat's No. 2 pick

Insiders expect Chicago to select Derrick Rose at No. 1, leaving Miami with Michael Beasley at No. 2. But a trade would not surprise -- and teams already are calling the Heat.

Posted on Wed, May. 21, 2008Digg del.icio.us AIM reprint print email

BY MICHAEL WALLACE

mwallace@MiamiHerald.com

DAVE WEAVER/AP

Whether the Heat would pick -- and keep -- Michael Beasley if the Chicago Bulls bypass him with the No. 1 pick looms as one of the biggest questions leading to the draft.

Heat blog | Miami Herald Mock Draft v.1

WEB VOTE

What should the Heat do with the No. 2 pick?

Draft Beasley if the Bulls take Rose

Trade the pick for an All-Star

Trade down for a lower pick and veterans

Your vote has been counted, thank you for voting.

Michael Beasley wanted to know his options if he were to be picked by the Heat in next month's NBA Draft.

So this power forward from Kansas State asked his college coach, Miami native Frank Martin, for a few tips on one of their favorite topics: food.

''He can't control where he goes or what city he ends up in, but we joked about it a little bit -- what [Miami] is all about,'' Martin said. ``He knows my background, so he's asked me where all the good Cuban restaurants are, so he can get a good sandwich down there. We've talked about Spanish food and that kind of stuff.''

Beasley apparently is growing accustomed to the chance he might end up in Miami, which holds the second overall pick in the June 26 draft. But whether the Heat would pick -- and keep -- Beasley if the Chicago Bulls bypass him with the No. 1 pick looms as one of the biggest questions leading to the draft.

Heat president Pat Riley created a buzz after Tuesday night's draft lottery when he strongly suggested Miami would trade the pick if the right deal came along. At least five lottery teams picking behind the Heat -- including Seattle, Memphis, New York, New Jersey and Sacramento -- would have interest in acquiring Beasley if the Heat is serious about making a potential draft-day trade.

''I'm glad to hear that, because I'll be talking to him then,'' Knicks president Donnie Walsh said, when informed that Riley would explore trading the highest draft pick in Heat history. ``It's an asset, and a lot of people want that pick. There will be a lot of [trade] talk with this draft, but it'll get weeded out.''

TWO FOR THE SHOW

Beasley and University of Memphis point guard Derrick Rose are widely considered the two ''can't miss'' prospects atop the draft board.

The Bulls are believed to be leaning toward taking Rose, a Chicago native, with the first pick, but general manager John Paxson told reporters Tuesday he won't rush a decision. There is speculation in Chicago that the Bulls would look to trade point guard Kirk Hinrich or not to re-sign guard Ben Gordon to create room for Rose.

Riley said he had received at least three calls from teams interested in the Heat's pick. Because Miami owes its 2009 first-round pick to Minnesota, league rules prohibit the Heat from dealing this year's pick until after the draft.

During a TV interview with ESPN on Tuesday, Beasley said Miami and New York were the teams he believed were most interested in drafting him. He was the NCAA's third-leading scorer at 26.2 points a game and averaged an NCAA-best 12.4 rebounds in his lone college season.

The Knicks and Heat have a logjam at forward and likely would need to deal players to make room for Beasley. In the Heat's case, that likely would mean having to shop Udonis Haslem or Shawn Marion, who can opt out of the final season and $17.2 million of his contract to become a free agent July 1.

Memphis, Seattle and Sacramento have needs for a low-post scorer. New Jersey is expected to be one of the more active teams this offseason as new general manager Kiki Vandeweghe looks to retool the roster after Jason Kidd's departure.

''I like that pick,'' Vandeweghe said of the Heat's draft position. ``It's obviously looked at that this is a two-person draft, that the draft really starts after that second pick or whatever. At that point, you can sit back and look at options..''

Riley would not say what the Heat would expect in return should it part with the No. 2 pick. But it likely would require the combination of the Heat swapping selections with a team that chooses later in the lottery -- but likely within the top 10 -- and adding a proven veteran at point guard or center.

LOOKING FOR PARTNER?

It might also take a trading partner willing to take on the two seasons and $15.2 million remaining on center Mark Blount's contract or the three seasons and $13.2 million left on guard Marcus Banks' deal.

High lottery picks have been dealt frequently on draft day in recent years. A top-eight pick has been traded 10 times since 1999. And the No. 2 pick has been dealt three times in that span.

Riley is uncertain whether anyone of the Heat's potential options at No. 2 could have a more immediate impact than an established veteran as Miami looks to recover quickly from a 15-67 season.

''We need help. We need it now. We've paid the price for it,'' Riley said. ``Can [Rose and Beasley] help a team like ours -- and change it? Can they step in like LeBron [James], Kevin Garnett did at (age) 19 -- and turn a franchise around? That's how they're going to be measured.''

http://www.miamiherald.com/592/story/542123.html

I can only comment on who I saw play so I cannot say a word about Beasley since I never seen a second of him on the court. I can IMHO answer Rileys ? about Derrick Rose. To me the answer IS HELL NO HE CANNOT COME IN AND CHANGE YOUR FRANCHISE AROUND RIGHT AWAY. Now I am not saying he will never be a star point guard. I am however saying he isnt close to being ready to be one either. He had horrible decision making at Memphis and was just developing as a college point guard. He would need another season or 2 to dominate in college much less the nba. The Knicks would be a great team for him because he can join the 5 or 6 out of control players they already have.

why would the Heat wanna trade their pick?? no matter if they draft Beasley, Rose, Bayless, Gordon, Love or Mayo, they will be getting better because these are guys who are gonna come in and contribute right away..if I were Miami I wouldnt trade this pick unless im getting a all star back

The Heat can't possibly be this stupid.

Why the hell would you trade the pick if Rose isn't there?

Beasley makes MORE SENSE than Rose which is a redundant player on the Heat with Wade already on there.

Why trade when you could get a player in Beasley with star potential that is perfect compliment to Wade with what he brings in the post?

Not like the Celtics situation with Pierce on a team that needs to win NOW. Heat are young team that could grow with Beasley, Wade, and even Marion.

No truth in this at all IMO. Or Heat are dumbest team ever. Well maybe next to Memphis