• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Woodson still unsure if he'll remain Hawks coach

Vesper

Woodson still unsure if he'll remain Hawks coach

Woodson Still Unsure

The Associated Press

Published on: 06/10/08

Atlanta Hawks coach Mike Woodson says he still doesn't know if he'll be offered a new contract by new general manager Rick Sund.

"We're still going through the process," Woodson said Tuesday. "That's all I can tell you. It's more of a feel-out process. We're getting to know each other. That's where we are. We'll play it by ear and just see."

RELATED STORIES

* Woodson still unsure if he'll remain Hawks coach

* Breaking down the top prospects in the draft

* Woodson may be candidate for other NBA jobs

More Hawks coverage

Woodson's contract is up at the end of the month. He has a poor 106-222 record, but the Hawks have made steady progress during his four years and ended the NBA's longest playoff drought this season, when they were 37-45.

The Hawks lost to the Boston Celtics in seven games in the first round of the playoffs, their first postseason appearance since 1999.

Sund, 57, was hired on May 28, and last week he said it was too early to comment on Woodson's status.

"Next week at this time, it might be a more appropriate question," Sund said last Wednesday. "But today I can't answer it."

Sund didn't return a phone message on Tuesday.

More often than not, general managers will hire a coach they are familiar with or have a previous relationship with. Sometimes, that doesn't happen, but I'd say it happens at least 90% of the time.

I would look for Rick Sund to hire someone he's comfortable with, and I don't think that is going to be Mike Woodson. If I had to guess right now, I would say the next head coach will be Dwane Casey. That's just a guess though. I've heard nothing of any interest in Casey other than some speculation by an ESPN guy, and we know how wrong they are most of the time.

Dwayne Casey??? Is there any point in changing if that is the direction that you're going to go? If Sund does that, it looks like he'll be another dud GM. I don't know how you can look over the Hawks the last 10 years and decide that the Hawks need another coach that hasn't done jackshyt.