• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Could this be Alan Henderson's last yr. as a Hawk?

mrhonline

• Premium Member

O.K., I know it's way early, but with the expansion draft next year, it's never too early.

So far, the Hawks have 7 players under contract, excluding Terrell Brandon and Jason Terry. Brandon won't be on the roster come July 1st and JT is almost a lock to be resigned, so that means the Hawks will have to protect:

Theo, SAR, JT, Diaw, Nazr, and Dickau for sure. Obviously, Chris Crawford will not be protected and next year's draft pick is excluded from the expansion draft.

But here's where it gets tricky. You can only protect eight players. One of the two players the Hawks sign to play SG & SF will be eligible unless Henderson is left off the list.

His salary and experience would be useful to Charlotte. He could start for one year for them at PF and would be a good mentor for the rookie big they are sure to draft. His contract is not as outrageous as someone like Damon Stoudamire's either. Charlotte starts out with 2/3 of the salary cap, then the following year they get 3/4. Coupled with the $8M Henderson's expiring contract brings back, the Bobcats will have some $$$ to play with in 2005.

On the other hand, would you rather protect Henderson so that you can trade him at the trading deadline for a good, young talent to fill out the roster in 2005? If so, then who would you leave unprotected, Nazr? This year's SG and/or SF additions?

It's something for the Hawks to think about as they decide how long of a deal to offer players like Stephen Jackson, Dion Glover, Jumaine Jones, et al.

• Premium Member

I doubt it...

Charlotte will be looking for CHEAP players. They will not spend big Money on Hendu because they are just as afraid of the luxury tax and we are. However, if CC comes in and has an injury free year, he would be a perfect candidate.

Mainly the bobcats will be getting high picks that never panned out. I think Bob Johnson need to consider carefully before selecting Jordan.

• Premium Member

they won't get good ones b/c teams will protect them. What they need are short deals. They need to avoid outrageous ones like Stoudamire's , but I wouldn't be surprised to see them pick up a few "unseasonable," but expiring deals...

I am willing to bet that EITHER a healthy Chris Crawford or Alan Henderson are taken. Either one would be good for the Hawks, no?

But, anyway, let's watch and see how *long* of deals the Hawks offer to the FA's they sign this offseason. It should give a clue as to what they will do next summer.