• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Data management question

frosgrim

Guys,

I am working with a team to put together a CD for health workers to use when they get into the field. These health workers will be working in developing nations, which means the technologies available to them will be limited. The CD houses articles and other documents to aid in developing national and local injury responses (e.g. traffic accidents, home fires, etc).

We are going with a CD for several reasons:

1. A web page is out due to connectivity/access issues in the developing world

2. A CD is still transportable technology across many PC versions

3. American health care workers can make copies of the CD and provide them to national and local health professionals.

My question is, is there a system that we could use that would allow us to search the CD for articles on a given topic? My vision of this is to have a search engine that does key word searches on the articles and then gives a page with links to the PDFs. What I need is something that is free and relatively light weight so that it can go on the CD.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Frosgrim

According to this page you can already search inside multiple pdf files at once (without having to open them all) with the Adobe Reader if you select advanced search features.

Thanks for the link. That might work for about 85% of what we have.

There are some other options that I am working on now. Mainly going to a detailed document tree and creating hyperlinks to the documents. I think this will work better in the long run.