Teague and Ish Smith

thesheedera

I watched some Wake games over the last two years, but not a lot of them.

Ish Smith is a true and capable PG (probably cause he's not a true "scorer") and played 32 mpg in Teague's freshman season and 22 mpg in his sophomore season.

- When they were on the floor together, what were their roles?

- Is it possible that we would have seen Teague become more of a true PG if not for the presence of Ish, or if there had been more capable scorers surrounding Teague?

It seems like out of the guys he's most often compared against, he was the only one who was in the unique position of playing alongside a veteran PG.

- Ish averaged 3.4 apg.

- On VCU Joey Rodriguez was #2 in assists with 2.5 pg - no idea if he played any at the 1.

- Ellington and Green avergaed 2.7 apg each, but neither played any time at the 1. The only time Ty wasn't the pG was when a backup was letting him rest.

- I guess Jrue was in a pretty similar situation to Teague, and they probably have similar doubts but are comforted by his height.

Thoughts?

Ish Smith is a true and capable PG (probably cause he's not a true "scorer") and played 32 mpg in Teague's freshman season and 22 mpg in his sophomore season.

- Is it possible that we would have seen Teague become more of a true PG if not for the presence of Ish, or if there had been more capable scorers surrounding Teague?

It seems like out of the guys he's most often compared against, he was the only one who was in the unique position of playing alongside a veteran PG.

- Ish averaged 3.4 apg.

- On VCU Joey Rodriguez was #2 in assists with 2.5 pg - no idea if he played any at the 1.

- Ellington and Green avergaed 2.7 apg each, but neither played any time at the 1. The only time Ty wasn't the pG was when a backup was letting him rest.

- I guess Jrue was in a pretty similar situation to Teague, and they probably have similar doubts but are comforted by his height.

Thoughts?

Seems smart. I also think a lot of guys like Teague get the 'not a PG' knock because they are ASKED to score, because they CAN.

- Ish averaged 3.4 apg.

Thoughts?

You may be on to something

You may be on to something

Ish Smith was to Teague, what Terrell Stokes was to Steve Francis in college.

Here are Terrell Strokes numbers:

He averaged 6.3 Assists per game; he was basically the point guard in the 1998-1999 season for Maryland.

Now look at Steve Francis's Scouting Reports coming out of college

Scouting reports

Scout: David Edelman [dedelman@acpub.duke.edu]

Looked terrible both times against Duke, so this evaluation may be more negative than it should be. But I have real doubts about how good a pro Francis is going to be. He's an extraordinary athlete who is as much fun to watch in transition as anybody in the NCAA (well, maybe Baron Davis). But he's not comfortable at all in the half-court offense, either at point or on the wing. He's not a particularly good long-range shooter nor does he distribute the ball well in the half-court. He's very intense, but he's often TOO intense; he tries to play beyond what he can handle in big games and makes crucial mistakes. He's a good rebounder for a guard and a decent man defender.

Francis is too good an athlete to wash out entirely. But he's awfully short to play off guard and will have to learn half-court point guard skills almost from scratch. If he can't do that he may end up more as an elite 6th man, an instant excitement off the bench type, than as a starting point guard. And you really don't want to spend an early or even mid- lottery pick on that kind of player. Very high upside, but I like other point guards better in this draft.

Scout: Jeffrey Burgoyne [burgoyne@ultimate-sports.com]

Very high in the draft lists of teams. He adds instance excitement and athleticism to any NBA team. With the need for PG expected to be high among the top teams in the draft, he's a sure top 5 pick. The concern on Francis seems to lie in the fact he tends to play more like a SG than a PG, and he doesn't have the hieght to play SG effectively. Neither does he have the range of a SG. Some people see an Allen Iverson type when they see Francis, but he just does not have Iversons speed.

Francis is a great player in transition and loves to run the court, but his ability to run a half court offense has been questioned. Certainly last year was his first year against top notch competition, so its expected he still has a fair upside to develop and while le learns a different role on the floor. When pitted against the tougher competition last year Francis did not respond as well as some scouts had hoped.

The transition to the NBA may not be easy for Francis, but in three years he will justify his draft position. PG's are notouriously slow to develop in the NBA, and Francis has to change his game to play PG in the NBA. I cannot think of an NBA player that Francis resembles coming into this draft.

Sound familar?

If Teague can average 19-21 PPG and 7 assists per game for us we are a contender for years to come.

Edited by GameTime

Ish Smith was to Teague, what Terrell Stokes was to Steve Francis in college.

Here are Terrell Strokes numbers:

He averaged 6.3 Assists per game; he was basically the point guard in the 1998-1999 season for Maryland.

Now look at Steve Francis's Scouting Reports coming out of college

Sound familar?

If Teague can average 19-21 PPG and 7 assists per game for us we are a contender for years to come.

I agree Gametime, if he can do that we are very much a contender.

• Moderators
Sound familar?

I think saying we are contenders is a pretty big statement (we aren't now) and that it will depend on how those stats come. If they are low efficiency shooting combined with pounding the ball, then that is about what we are getting from Crawford and no one expects him to lead us anywhere. Steve Francis, Stephon Marbury, and other shoot first PGs put up great stats but never led their team anywhere. That doesn't mean another Jason Terry wouldn't be a very important and helpful piece, it just means that I don't value that like I do someone who scores efficiently and promotes ball movement on the team.

(As an aside, I put Allen Iverson as the exception that proves the rule. His lone finals philly team wouldn't make the NBA Finals in 18 or 19 outo of every 20 years, IMO. Not surprisingly, they weren't competitive with the West.)

• Moderators
Am i the only one that thinks Teague compares to Devin Harris?

I hope so. Harris' last season in Wisconsin his PPR was 2.33. Teague's PPR was a -3.17 (negative). That is a difference of 5.50 in PPR which is huge so I don't see the comparison from the numbers but hope we see it in the pro play.