• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Disney / ABC buying Marvel Enterainments (Comics)

coachx

This likely allows them to move even further away from print media (comics) and into television. Disney operates a few cable networks and Marvel has properties on both Disney and Nickelodian (Viacom) networks. I'm guessing that eventually, Marvel will introduce new characters straight to TV and not have to continue with the dying print media. It makes sense for Marvel's longevity. And of course, Disney gets a franchise that appeals to older boys, something they didn't have with Pixar or Miley Cyrus. They get TV programming and movies for males 13-24.

I wonder what things are like in Orlando today... if Disney World has a big U-Haul truck at the gates of Universal Studios loading up all of the Marvel properties that are a fairly big component of the theme park down there. "Get in the truck, Spider-Man, you've been purchased for $4B".

Edited by AnakinJoe

Considering that Disney owns ESPN (and ABC), I wouldn't expect to hear the ESPN commentators refer to Dwight Howard as "Superman". They will likely go with The Hulk, or Luke Cage or some other Marvel "big man". And D. Wade is no longer "Flash" but QuickSilver or Black Panther or Daredevil. I'm sure that the ESPN corporate suits are distributing the memo now... No MORE DC Character names during ANY broadcast.

This likely allows them to move even further away from print media (comics) and into television. Disney operates a few cable networks and Marvel has properties on both Disney and Nickelodian (Viacom) networks. I'm guessing that eventually, Marvel will introduce new characters straight to TV and not have to continue with the dying print media. It makes sense for Marvel's longevity. And of course, Disney gets a franchise that appeals to older boys, something they didn't have with Pixar or Miley Cyrus. They get TV programming and movies for males 13-24.

I wonder what things are like in Orlando today... if Disney World has a big U-Haul truck at the gates of Universal Studios loading up all of the Marvel properties that are a fairly big component of the theme park down there. "Get in the truck, Spider-Man, you've been purchased for $4B".

Universal and Six Flags both lease the licensing rights for the Marvel characters. I think they do it in 10 year increments. I'm a big Disney World fanatic (we go every year) and alot of people like myself (other Disney fans) are speculating that Disney may eventually open a 5th park in Orlando and have it for the Marvel characters. If they don't do that, they'll almost certainly open some rides at their parks to incorporate these characters. Either way, they'll make alot of money on the licensing rights. I wonder if the price for those rights go up after current contract expire?

They were so niched with young girls with the princess stuff, Hannah Montana, etc.. that they needed this to break into the boy market. This was a great business move for them. Along with the Marvel rights, they also get the Marvel studios, which is where all the Marvel movies are made. That, in itself, was a huge move since most of the Marvel movies have done very well at the box office.

Edited by Dragitoff