• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Can the Hawks win EAST with JJ, Josh playing significantly less minutes?

hawks21

It is probably impossible to trade Joe Johnson right now, but at some point the focus of this team has to go away from JJ as a primary option and Josh Smith as well.

The profile of the Hawks has to change from a soft, jump-shooting team with a sporadic basketball I.Q. to a more savvy, inside-conscious team that wants to get to the free throw line.

Ivan Johnson did provide a glimpse of what this team needs and has lacked on a night-to-night basis. I have admittedly been a little down on Al Horford, but I believe it time for the organization and coaching staff to ask more of him right now and that means JJ and Josh will be LESS of a focus.

It may be a little embarrassing for JJ and Josh, but it has to be done?

If this also means Ivan Johnson alternates between small and power forward and receives 30 minutes a game-- and other people's feelings get hurt (i.e. Zaza, Josh, etc.) then so be it.

I would like to see the team explore the possibility of whether this team can acquire DeMarcus Cousins. If the Hawks would trade him for Josh Smith, it would improve our inside game and one less subpar shooter the Hawks have to deal with.

Reggie Miller said about Josh shooting: "I'll take Josh Smith shooting outside jumpers every time..."

The Hawks have enough outside shooters, now we need more toughness from the forward and center positions.

Edited by hawks21

Ivan while he came to play also had a lot of stupid moments as well that wasn't exposed by Miami due to Miami offensive inept play in the 4th. I liked Ivan a lot but I am holding reservation on him till he does this for more than a game v. Bron/Wade-less Heat.

Ivan while he came to play also had a lot of stupid moments as well that wasn't exposed by Miami due to Miami offensive inept play in the 4th. I liked Ivan a lot but I am holding reservation on him till he does this for more than a game v. Bron/Wade-less Heat.

You're right in regard to having reservations, but the Hawks need to change their 'profile' in the front court. Josh, Marvin , Al, Zaza has monopolized the minutes for the last five years and have been given a chance to 'grow'....

Right now, the Hawks are the 2nd oldest team in the NBA, so there has to be a REAL opportunity younger players who can develop... Miami played younger players such as Norris Cole and even Dexter Pittman for extended minutes. Coach drew has to do the same thing.

I had been critical of Marvin, but he is the epitome of what's wrong with this team in regard to the 'soft' profile and dealing with adversity in contested games AGAINST GOOD TEAMS or team that doesn't have Wade and/or LeBron playing. Marvin make mistakes. Joe makes mistakes. Josh makes mistakes... and it is the same ones which had been going FOR years. Plus, there is a different type of tentativeness that plagues each of these players which keeps them from maximizing their potential.

I am not saying Ivan is the savior, but provides the type of impact plays that someone such as a Grant Long or Tyrone Corbin used to make back in the 1990's. Long or Corbin weren't great players, but a physically tough players who can score the basketball..