10 guys I'd like / accept at #15

coachx

In my opinion this draft runs pretty deep. There are at least 25 players I'd be thrilled to have in the 1st round..........meaning 10 of them will be available for us at #15.

The only position I have removed from this draft board is PG since we have both Teague and Schröder (not to mention Mack). Below is a list of guys I  like at pick  #15:

Guards:

Jerian Grant - I have watched him play alot. He will probably never be a super star but his size and versatility should equal a long career. This kid has grit too and loves to compete. Two things you don't measure at the combine. He is an excellent passer and pick and roll player. Early in the season most people had him as a top 10 lock. He has not really done anything to hurt his stock. I think he is being penalized for being a senior. His story as to why he stayed for his senior year is unique.

RJ Hunter - He is too thin for me to call him a wing. I just don't see him being able to play SF. However, I love his basketball IQ and his ball handling is under-rated. He reminds most people of Klay Thompson.  Both guys move constantly without the ball and have perfected moving around multiple off ball screens. However, he is a much better passer and has a knack for setting up his teammates for easy shots. He is especially skilled in the pick & roll........which the NBA loves now. I love players who are the son of coaches too. He will take hard coaching and will work his tail off for you. I'm a homer about him..........having seen him play in person at least 10 times.

Wings:

Justin Anderson - I believe he is being undervalued by mock drafts who drool over the potential of freshman. I guarantee you coaches love this guy. He has an NBA body with elite athletic ability. His standing reach of 8'4'' worries me. His wingspan is 6'11'' so something is not adding up. In my opinion, he did not stretch out on his height reach test so that he would score better on his vertical jump.....which measured 42''. I think he could have stretched out a couple of more inches on his vertical reach to make it 8'6'' and make his vertical jump 40''. Any way........the kid has become a sniper from 3, is an elite athlete, with NBA ready size and strength. Those 3 traits don't go on trees. He has the potential to be a defensive stopper at SG. If his standing reach is around 8'6'' then he can be a stopper at SF too.

Kelly Oubre - He may need D-League minutes in year #1. However, his upside his huge. I hear his cockiness is rubbing some GMs the wrong way. We can't forget that most great players are cocky. I think we all expected more production at Kansas out of him though. He is a natural shooter. This is one where a personal profile and personality test may come into play. If we take him we must be patient. The tools are there to mold. It is encouraging that he took, and accepted, Coach Self's tough love approach and earned playing time as the season played out. He is one of those guys who could be a perennial allstar in 5 years........or he could be playing in Greece. Its all up to how much work he wants to put in. The good news is that I think he is coach-able if you can get around the cockiness.

Rondae Hollis Jefferson - I almost didn't include him. I don't see us picking him b/c he can't shoot a lick. That being said he may be the best wing defender in the draft. He could be a fine player if he ever learns to shoot. At this point I just don't see his game being well rounded enough for significant playing time. That being said........... Bruce Bowen entered the league as a non-shooter but developed a nice shot as his career played out. You know Coach Bud is well aware of that.

Sam Dekker - I don't know whether to call him a SF or a PF. All I know is this kid is a fine basketball player. He can do it all (well accept pass for assist). Wisconsin's system was unique and didn't call for that though.  He needs to work on ball handling if he wants to play SF on most teams. He is very athletic. Don't discount that b/c of skin color. What I like most is how he performs in clutch situations. He has the size to play PF too.

Bigs:

Montrez Harrell -  He is strong as an ox, runs the floor like a deer, and can give you 3 quick leaps without losing much vertical. He is the proto-type big to bring off the bench as an energy spark plug. He is reminiscent of Big Ben Wallace (both have ungodly wingspans). I love his ruggedness, tenacity, and competitive spirit. He will have a long career and will do the dirty work no one else wants to do. We all know he has no polish to his post game and can't really shoot but what he does do.....he does well. He is throw back player but there is still room for his toughness and physicality come playoff time.

Frank Kaminski - He is not strong but he is fast. He is a pretty good athlete. Where he excels is basketball IQ. His passing is elite for a 7 footer. He runs the floor well. He has competitive spirit. He didn't back down from any of Kentucky's bigs or Dukes bigs in the Final 4. He is also a system fit for us.

Kevon Looney - Has more potential then either of the two bigs listed above him. However, potential gets people fired if its not realized. He reminds me of a young Lamar Odom without the ball handling skills. He is silky smooth. His game fits perfectly with the way the NBA is moving towards versatile bigs who can switch out and defend the perimeter.

Trey Lyles - He is alot like Kevon Looney but is better in the paint and is stronger. His style of play fits with today's NBA that calls for versatility for bigs. He had so much talent on the UK roster that we really didn't get to see all he can do. On the other hand Kevon Looney was show cased at UCLA with heavy minutes. Both guys have lottery upside in my opinion. I'd give Lyles a slight edge because of the unknown with him. However, that unknown can be a double edged sword.

I'm leaving out Bobby Portis. I don't hate him or anything...........I just don't love him either. I've seen him disappear vs. inferior SEC big men to buy into his stock. I don't know if he has the fire to dish it back to bigger and stronger guys in the NBA.

I'm leaving off other guys who will obviously not be available at #15.

I like everyone on the list except for Grant, Dekker, Kaminsky and Harrell. I think Grant will be ok not great, I like his blood lines a lot though. Just don't think he's our best option. I personally think Dekker is overrated for too many reasons to list. Kaminsky is a smart player, good fundamentals, but I just feel that he is super slow for the next level to be a star, he could be a Ryan Anderson type though Anderson is a better 3 point shooter. I like Harrell athletically, but those super athletic types seem to lack fundamentals and he seems an overall bad fit for us.

Love the rest of the guys on your list coach.

I like everyone on the list except for Grant, Dekker, Kaminsky and Harrell. I think Grant will be ok not great, I like his blood lines a lot though. Just don't think he's our best option. I personally think Dekker is overrated for too many reasons to list. Kaminsky is a smart player, good fundamentals, but I just feel that he is super slow for the next level to be a star, he could be a Ryan Anderson type though Anderson is a better 3 point shooter. I like Harrell athletically, but those super athletic types seem to lack fundamentals and he seems an overall bad fit for us.

Love the rest of the guys on your list coach.

Lol, those are some of my favorites.

Good list though. Personally not big on Kaminsky, Anderson, Oubre or Lyles but I can see the appeal. Don't see anything appealing about Looney at all.

Edit: Ok, that was harsh on Looney. I haven't watched him much but wasn't impressed when I did, I guess.

Edited by TheFuzz

Lol, those are some of my favorites.

Good list though. Personally not big on Anderson, Oubre or Lyles but I can see the appeal. Don't see anything appealing about Looney at all.

Lol ..opinions will differ

Ur smitten over this cat. What's the deal?

Wing with nice size and a diverse offensive repertoire plus a willingness to defend and young to boot.  Sounds like just what we need.

I watch a lot of Big Ten basketball.  We need to stay away from Sam Dekker.  He has done absolutely nothing before this tournament run.  He disappears for games.  Not an impact player even in college.  He is a 2nd round player and if he stayed one more season, he would be drafted in 2nd round next season.  Now he is some edge lottery guy, totally laughable.