• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is it time for Thabo to Go?

Diesel

• Premium Member

We have a multitude of Sfs and SGs.  Thabo is one of the oldest.   I like his defense but with our youth movement and the possibility of bringing in yet two more 2s and 3s.. Should we start exploring trades for Thabo?  Something that moves him for a BU PG?

Personally I'd prefer to hold onto him for another year or at least until February. He is one of the reasons that we are an elite defensive team. But at the same time, it depends on what we might be able to get for him I guess.

8 minutes ago, Diesel said:

We have a multitude of Sfs and SGs.  Thabo is one of the oldest.   I like his defense but with our youth movement and the possibility of bringing in yet two more 2s and 3s.. Should we start exploring trades for Thabo?  Something that moves him for a BU PG?

No. He's ATL's best wing defender. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, BigDog90 said:

No. He's ATL's best wing defender. 

He may be older but he is still one of the best perimeter defenders in the league not just for us whether he has lost half a step or not. He shut down J.R. Smith when that guy was making us look foolish and that was just a few weeks ago. Heck I would extend him another year after this upcoming season to help develop Prince because he is at four million. What he does here is worth more than that.  

• Like 1

Just now, Thomas said:

He may be older but he is still one of the best perimeter defenders in the league not just for us whether he has lost half a step or not. He shut down J.R. Smith when that guy was making us look foolish and that was just a few weeks ago. Heck I would extend him another year after this upcoming season to help develop Prince because he is at four million. What he does here is worth more than that.  

Yeah exactly! I just hope Bud let Prince get some PT this year and not be in and out D League. Since ATL doesn't have their own D League team, it's pretty much a lost cause to have him there.

Just now, BigDog90 said:

Yeah exactly! I just hope Bud let Prince get some PT this year and not be in and out D League. Since ATL doesn't have their own D League team, it's pretty much a lost cause to have him there.

Feels like by the allstar break we'll have a good idea where Prince is at. Counting on some consistent minutes by then. He's got the right coaches and teammates to help him get there. 

Lol..I'm disappointed in you Diesel..Long as you've been watching the hawks I thought u of all people would recognize who time it is to go pal..IT'S KORVER'S TIME DIESEL! This organization has not shown loyalty to Nique, Deke, Smitty, Jet, Joe, Josh, Chill, Teague..and for this guy Korver to be getting a pass from the fans and Organization is really distasteful.. KORVER WAS ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE LAST YEAR AND WILL BE WORST AT 35 YRS OLD!

And before I'm attacked by the Korver groupies who would die jus to smell his panties..I don't wanna hear that crap about his 3 pt shooting because he got Merked defensively and on offense when teams really wanted to go to ball denial mode we were left playing 4 on 5.. We lost 10 + games this past year to Korvers ineffectiveness this past season..

Edited by LastDon

Can't let korver go. 3rd highest +/- in the EAST. Declining bargain contract in this new salary cap climate. We have other expendable guys. 

As far as thabo, he may have to go depending on how many wings we bring in including bazemore. 

Korver, Hardaway, bembry, prince,thabo,patterson?, bazemore? FA wing? 

We gotta swing some 2 for 1 type trades to make room for potentially 8 guys. Maybe something like thabo and Hardaway for Rudy gay.

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

Let's make this clear Diesel. Are you saying it is time to "run off" one of our players? If you are saying this I have a question for you. Why do you hate Thabo? He only gave everything on the defensive end of the floor. Why do you spew so much hatred for the guy?

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, LastDon said:

And before I'm attacked by the Korver groupies who would die jus to smell his panties..I don't wanna hear that crap about his 3 pt shooting because he got Merked defensively and on offense when teams really wanted to go to ball denial mode we were left playing 4 on 5.. We lost 10 + games this past year to Korvers ineffectiveness this past season..

Just for the sake of clarity, when someone goes into denial mode on Korver we are playing 4 on 4 because the guy is tight on him.  If they are leaving him wide open and helping off him that is 4 on 5.  Even at his worst - and he was completely shut down vs Cle - he still fully occupies a defender.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, LastDon said:

Lol..I'm disappointed in you Diesel..Long as you've been watching the hawks I thought u of all people would recognize who time it is to go pal..IT'S KORVER'S TIME DIESEL! This organization has not shown loyalty to Nique, Deke, Smitty, Jet, Joe, Josh, Chill, Teague..and for this guy Korver to be getting a pass from the fans and Organization is really distasteful.. KORVER WAS ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE LAST YEAR AND WILL BE WORST AT 35 YRS OLD!

While I will not campaign for him to be traded , but he clearly needs to move to the bench and minutes cut. Age has clearly caught up with him.

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, LastDon said:

Korver doesn't escape my sight.  But the word has gone forth that Korver will be with us.  Now, Korver still shoots well and he could be a good shot off the bench.  I believe I will cringe if he's still starting after all the smoke clears. 

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, IheartFerry said:

Let's make this clear Diesel. Are you saying it is time to "run off" one of our players? If you are saying this I have a question for you. Why do you hate Thabo? He only gave everything on the defensive end of the floor. Why do you spew so much hatred for the guy?

Not one I'm saying.  I like Thabo.  I believe in Thabo's defense.  However, if the rumor is true that we're bringing back Baze and we're bring in Deng.... or Barnes... When does Thabo play?  Moreover, Prince and Bembry.. are we going to DL them?  Bud Loves 3s and 2s is all I can say.

I hope we keep Thabo and Baze.  It will allow us to be able to bring them along at whatever pace Bud needs to ingratiate them into the Bud Ball University like he did with Tim last year.  A players first few years are usually the most critical in developing their foundation in the system and habits.

As far as Korver goes, I think he is still starter quality.  The main problem I see, mainly due to talent or development, is we need the person playing the 3 to be at least a well rounded player.  Korver draws so much attention when running through all those screens that Baze's and point guard's defender are usually put in a bind to help.  If Baze had better handles to go with his athleticism and if our point guards can become better shooters, it will open the offense even more.  We need Baze to improves his handles for this season to become a better slasher or penetrator.  Opposing teams know Sap and Teague or Dennis are the only ones they have to adjust for on those Korver close outs.  They will take their chances on Baze and Horford being limited to being mostly set jumpshooters and/or let our pgs hoist up a jumpshot.  We aren't making defenses pay when they have to send that much help to Korver.

I am looking forward to Baze taking his game to the next level.  He, Tim and Dennis aren't afraid to take shots and don't get down when it isn't falling.  They have the most athleticism on the team.  If they can continue to work on their complete game (shooting, slashing, penetrating), we would increase the number of stars on this team easily.  I would include Hordord in the convo but he seems content with just being a set jumpshooter with only an ability to drive right confidently.  I wish he would workout with Sap and borrow some of his moves.  We would be almost unguardable.

20 minutes ago, Watchman said:

Too valuable to trade.  He is our best defender, and I don't see a successor on the horizon yet.

Yup. Honestly think Thabo should finish most of our games. Definitely the ones that we have a lead in the final minutes. His D is scary good.