• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

ESPN - Free Throw shooting struggles - Dwight related

RandomFan

47 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Interesting, but Ming disapproves that notion alone.  It was the only thing he was totally comfortable doing on an NBA court.

I can't wait until around January when Hump is seriously eating into Dwight's minutes.

I didn't realize Jack was so accurate, 42nd in percentage All-Time.

From my experience, it's pretty simple.  Poor FT shooters by and large aren't very smart.  Of course there are outliers I have to mention like Iggy and Duncan.  But watching Josh for 8 years I feel he's all the example I need.  I'm pretty sure Dwight and DeAndre didn't push for valedictorian in high school.

Tristan Thompson is a good example of players who work hard to improve with no excuses. He knows how important it is that his rebounding be available late in games.

Outstanding FT shooters are usually cerebral players.  5 of the Top 10 in career percentage I would consider supremely intelligent.  Then they're followed by 2 near-7 footers in Bird and Durant, which contradicts the seemingly ideal FT shooting size found atop career and seasonal leaderboards of 6"1"-6'3", 185-190 lbs.  It definately points to mental ability much moreso than physical traits.  

That being said I must do due diligence and actually read the article at some point.  Just one question, though.  Did they address underhand FTs?  It's disgusting that NBA players feel they're "too cool" to do it when it could possibly help a number of them signifigantly.

To understand Bird and free throws, you had to grow up in rural Indiana like I did.  Every kid has a hoop (or had) in their driveway. We spent more time playing Horse than 1 on 1. Some Horse games would go on for an hour as kids would just hit, hit, hit.  In Winter, old people (who had the best driveways) would always put up a basketball hoop. The neighbor kids would shovel their driveway for free just to play on their hoop. The old people would let you put your spare balls by the fireplace. When the one you were playing with would get too cold and go flat, you'd take it inside, put it by the fireplace and get a warm ball. Playing 1 on 1 in below freezing weather, wearing coats and gloves with the fingers cut out is almost impossible...but you can always have shooting competitions.

20 free throw competitions for each other's lunch. Tennis ball shooting games. Passing games with outdoor Nerf hoops (2 step/no dribble rules). Indiana = shooting, shooting, shooting (and a bit of passing). As a matter of fact, I'll lay out an offer. Anyone on the board who wants to drive up to Northwest Indiana with me for the high school tourney, I'll go.  As an example, here is the high school gym I grew up watching games in. The atmosphere during the state tournament is incredible.

BvCw0XJCIAAOpGU.jpg

Edited by thecampster
  • Like 1