• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

G-League Single Foul shot 2019-2020 experiment

enrique

I looked for a thread on this year’s rule change/experiment on free throws. Here is the article from September on the G-league’s attempt to streamline game flow from top-off to final shot. 

What do you all think of the proposal on free throws? Here is a summary article https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27707068 

The edit window shut on me. So here is what I left out. 

The basic idea is that outside of the final 2 minutes of a half or game, all free throw opportunities are a single shot  the value of that shot will be determined by the preceding foul  so a shooting foul will become one free throw worth two points  a foul from 3-pt range would become a single shot worth 3 points  in the end of a half or game, the historic free throws would resume...allowing the drama and pressure we love to resume. The expected time savings on games is about 5 minutes  

• Premium Member

l'm one of those who care about consistency and precedent, and from that approach, it's a new wrinkle that scoring counts different in one part of the game than it counts in another part of the game. I appreciate the thought and the attempt to improve the flow of the game, but I prefer a different approach.

============

2019-10-26_2012.png

On 10/26/2019 at 8:19 PM, sturt said:

l'm one of those who care about consistency and precedent, and from that approach, it's a new wrinkle that scoring counts different in one part of the game than it counts in another part of the game. I appreciate the thought and the attempt to improve the flow of the game, but I prefer a different approach.

============

2019-10-26_2012.png

Thanks for sharing these idea...for sure they would be the largest change in rules since the beginning of basketball:) I haven't decided what I think about your proposed changes yet. The one thing I do like is that coaches who use players to foul dominant players ("stars") would have much less incentive to do so as games move forward. Imagine being stuck with your hatchet man for the last 4 minutes of a game...

• Thanks 1