• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

We Need Dwight Howard

jezmund

I've heard a lot of hype on here about this guy and kind of just let it slide. I can't say I've seen much of him, probably a lot let less than any of you, but we definitely need to make an effort to pick him up. (#17/Philly Pick/2nds/JT) I just watched the interview with him on the FSS Sports Report and his maturity is beyond his years. He might have the same athleticism/build of a Kwame Brown, but I don't think he will start off like Kwame did. First of all, we need a guy (Head Coach or assistant coach)that could develop Howard and give him the confidence he would need. I really like the toughness an Emeka Okafor would bring to our team but this guy is starting to really intrigue me. I have my fingers crossed that our 10% chance is enough.

By the way, what was that Steve Francis thing all about? Was there any substance to any of those Francis deals?

In an ideal world, the Hawks will land either the first or second pick in the lottery, select Dwight Howard with that pick when the draft rolls around, and then take David Harrison with the 17th pick.

This will give them a post duo that will be able to impact the game defensively, run the floor, and also be a focal point of a half court offense.

other than the fact that Francis is a star in this league, regardless of the reasons, and the fact that it's abundently clear that he can't co-exist with Yao and JVG....no. It's simply a thought imo. But face it....Francis wants it all, JVG doesn't want him to be it (for many good reasons) and Yao is there, heir apparent to the Akeem throne of greatness.

ps - in a violation of my own rules (replying to one's own post), Just say no to Howard. The last kind hearted player, let alone 4, to make a difference in the L (esp. out of HS)....other than Duncan, the exception, not the rule...was.....Moses? Too far back to know his demeanor!

Those who subscribe to ESPN Insider there is a great article on Biedrins.A few highlights

:he plays in the paint rebounds,blocks shots and dunks not a perimeter player.

:Bill Berka laker assistant just shaking head after Biedrins does a drill where he crouches down and dunks the ball has many times as possible

:A seven foot 18 yr old having a 7-1 wing span.Has a 34 inch vertical more than Chris Bosh and Carmelo

:is ripped and in shape and strong benching 185 pound 15 times

Chad Ford commensts that Biedrins will be first european off the board and is closer to Dwight Howard than Milcic and may give Howard a run for his money.

I remember last year Darko Milcic was suppose to be a freak of nature and I hope this kids isn't hype.Last year Biedrins dominated in the AAU tournament averaging a triple double and was talk of the camp.I know the AAU tournament is a far far cry from the NBA but I wonder who has more potential Dwight Howard,Josh Smith or Biedrins. Also I have heard Chicago will not take a high schooler trading down or drafting DEng.Which ever player the Hawks get has got to be a star player.With as many busts as the Hawks have had in draft plus the dire need for a stud player to draw fans this draft is crucial for the future of the franchise.

• Premium Member

Howard is going to be a dominant player. Possibly the next KG. As much as I like Smith and Okafur, I think that Howard is the man for us. Because... We get him Young, He is a home towner, and he has mad game. His Stat line is like 25/17/8... That 8 is 8 blocks per game. Sure it's HS, but the kid got timing. He's strong and mature plus he believes that he can be the best in the game.....

I think Okafur will have a career between Brian Grant and Alonzo Morning. I don't think he will be as dominating as Mourning. I don't think he will be as active as Brian Grant. He doesn't have much offense, but a lot of defense. Still, he's not strong enough to be the next Ben Wallace. His back is a major concern. Back injuries don't go away quickly, some even take a major toll on a player (See Larry Johnson).... The fear is Okafur being like Johnson and having to remodel his game.

With most Euro players, there's a Darko like Hype... Boy, I bet Detroit wish that they had Mello now....

He could rise to Charlotte, but I doubt he gains enough to get into the top three. Right now, Okafor, Howard, and Deng appear to be solidly in the top three, but Biedrins could bump Deng if Washington likes him.

Charlotte could grab him at the fourth pick if they want a good, young big man to build around. They could also go for Ben Gordon though, who is the player I think they are leaning towards.

That could leave Biedrins for Atlanta or LA, whichever one gets the 5th pick. Biedrins makes very little sense for LA, who has Chris Kaman, Elton Brand, Melvin Ely, and Chris Wilcox all in the post. LA is a team that needs a point guard, so you have to think they will look at Devin Harris and Shaun Livingston with the pick if it is ahead of Atlanta.

That could leave Biedrins on the board for the Hawks, and I believe the Hawks will take Biedrins over Josh Smith because they want to go big in this draft. Smith could fall to Cleveland, which would give the Cavaliers a lot of potential on the wing with Smith and James.

As much as draft gurus analyze the potential prospects all I ask is get the 2 best players we can get whether that is by trading players and draft picks or staying. With the 3 seconds if the hawks see a player they really want THAT CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE go get him.I am tired of the hawks staying pat and we end up with the chris crawfords,rumeal robinson's,augmon types. This is where phoeniz over the years has done well finding player even in the secon round that can produce.Granted phoenix had a bad year but they do have alot of talent and just need a few pieces.

The Hawks on the other hand never make an impact in free agency and draft players that are bench warmers for the most part.Terry was the last impact player and while he is above average he isn't a true impact star player like a Kobe,Iverson,Garnett.We need these type of players like Cleveland has in Lebron.I am wondering with all the wins at the end if it really helped this franchise and possibly getting a lower draft pick.We will know next week but if we have the right scouting we can find the right players.

Eachg prospect in this draft has some question and I can see good things and bad things about each.I would love for both no1 picks to be impact but chances are the first pick hopefully will be.This is nothing new to everybody what I have said I just wish the lottery selection would hurry up and the draft.

Quote:

That 8 is 8 blocks per game. Sure it's HS, but the kid got timing

That doesn't do it for me. The kid is 6'10 or 6'11 for crying out loud, and is playing for a Christain school. He may went up aganist alot of talent, but when your a tower over everyone else 8 blocks a game is what he should have.

I myself am tall, and his block just don't do it for me. On the other hand his rebounds do!!