• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Draft prospects: My thoughts on what they have.

KB21

I don't profess to be an NBA talent scout, but I do watch enough college basketball that I can formulate a good opinion on these players. I'll only do players that I have seen play. This is in no particular order:

Emeka Okafor, PF, 6-10, Connecticut - I love the way this guy impacts the game on both ends of the floor. Defensively, he's a shot blocking and rebounding machine. Probably the best shot blocker I've ever seen on the college level. Offensively, he will never be a go to guy, but he will be a capable player. The improvement he has made in his offensive game from his freshman year till now is incredible. The back problem concerns me. I believe he has the potential to be a better rebounding, defending, and scoring version of Kenyon Martin.

Dwight Howard, PF, 6-11, Southwest Atlanta Christian - He's an amazing athletic talent for his size. Howard can run the floor with ease, handle the ball on the fastbreak, and plays around the rim both offensively and on rebounds. He's a very good shot blocker who likes to give weakside help. He is a fundamentally sound player with a great work ethic and is very intelligent. This kid's head is screwed on right. He will need to get stronger so NBA players don't force him out of the post offensively and so he doesn't get backed down defensively. He looks like a young David Robinson.

Luol Deng, SF, 6-8, Duke - Deng is a good athlete who is a very smart player. He can handle the ball on the perimeter and has a good feel for the game. He attacks the basket with slashing moves and is a very good rebounder. Defensively, he's got the lateral agility to stick with his man, and he has long arms that make him difficult to shoot over. His perimeter jumper is inconsistent and needs work. I don't think Deng will be a superstar player at the NBA level, but I do think he has an upside.

I'll add some more, but I'm going to eat some breakfast right now.

Ben Gordon, PG, 6-2, Connecticut -- Amazing shooter. I think he's the best shooter in the draft. Gordon has a very quick first step to the hole when he penetrates. He can nail the long range shot, and he can shoot off the dribble. He has great court awareness and is an unselfish player. He will be a point guard in the NBA, because he is a tremendous passer who looks for his teammates. He played shooting guard at UCONN mainly due to his shooting ability. He's got a well built body that is strong. He's athletic, can get out on the fast break, and finish. He's a tenacious defender. Gordon reminds me of a slimmer Baron Davis. I think he is one of the top 3 players overall in this draft.

Devin Harris, PG, 6-3, Wisconsin - Harris is somewhat similar in style to Ben Gordon. He's a bit taller than Gordon and has more experience running the point, but I believe Harris is a bit more of a combo guard than Gordon is. He's got great court vision and is one of the fastest players with the ball in this draft. Harris will be very good in an up tempo system. Harris is a good shooter that settles for the perimeter shot too often. He will penetrate, but not enough, IMO. He likes to go coast to coast on the fast break. Harris is one of the better defenders in the draft. Harris reminds me a lot of Sam Cassell. He will be a point guard in the NBA.

Andre Iguodala, SG, 6-6, Arizona - Amazing athlete. Arguably the best athlete that will be in this draft. Iguodala is a player that does everything well. Everything but score. He doesn't have a shooter's mentality. His jumper is inconsistent but improving. Most of his points come in transition or on put back. Iguodala is a great defensive player who is athletic with long arms. He's a great rebounder on defense as well. Offensively, he's got the court awareness and the handles to run the point guard position at time. He's a very unselfish player who loves to pass the ball. A lot compare him to Richard Jefferson, but he doesn't quite have Jefferson's mentality to shoot the ball.

Josh Smith, SF, 6-8, Oak Hill Academy - Amazing athlete. Smith may rival Iguodala as the best athlete in the draft. This guy has an amazing vertical and overall body control on the court. Based on the limited time that I saw him, he looked like a well grounded player who is willing to defend and look for his teammates offensively. He will slam it home when he has the opportunity. His jumper from the perimeter looks sweet. I haven't seen him do much off the dribble. Many feel that he has the look of a young Dominique Wilkins. I think he's a Tracy McGrady type that will play shooting guard in the NBA when his handle improves.

Luke Jackson, SG, 6-7, Oregon - He's one of the better players in the draft. Jackson is a 6-7 player who is a great ball handler. He has played every position from the 1 to the 4 in college. In the pros, he projects very well as a versatile player who can play point, two, or three. He's going to be very good in a motion offense that relies on the movement of the ball to create opportunities. The question about him will be if he can defend at the next level. I believe he will be able to defend enough. He will be another Mike Miller.

JR Smith, SG, 6-6, St. Benedict's high school - Smith is a wonderful athlete who finishes very well in transition. He will bring the crowd to their feet. His jumper is the most pure of all the high school talent in this draft, but like all high school kids, it is inconsistent. Does he have the desire to defend? Some things he needs to work on are his ball handling. He needs to become better at doing things off the dribble rather than just chucking it up from deep or driving to the basket on the break. Very high upside who could be another Vince Carter.

Rafael Araujo, C, 6-11, Brigham Young - This native Brazilian is a very good offensive center that supplies a big body for defense. Araujo is very active around the basket offensively. He will attack the rim to score and collect rebounds. He's got a wide body and uses it well to position himself around the basket. His range extends to about 15 feet, but he doesn't drift out that far very often. Defensively, he will never be a shot blocker, but he should be a good positional defender that doesn't get backed down.

Al Jefferson, PF, 6-9, Prentiss High School - The best pure post offensive player in this high school class. Jefferson is automatic when he gets the ball around the basket, and he can extend a defense out to the perimeter. Defensively, he's an active shot blocker but not much else. He gets knocked down because he isn't a 6-11 power forward, but he will be one of the better ones that come out of this draft.

David Harrison, C, 7-0, Colorado - He's going to be a better NBA player than some think. He's a big body who is athletic. Harrison is a true, low post center that can get out and run the floor. He's got good offensive ability in the low post. As a rebounder, he wasn't as dominant as he should have been. Harrison proved to be a good shot blocker in college. He has some maturity issues, but if he gets on a team that will coach him, he will become a quality player. Michael Olowokandi is a good comparison.

keep it up KB, I appreciate your info/input, esp. on guys that I didn't see much of. While I'm generally avoiding discussion of draft picks because 1) I don't know many of the bigname prospects owning to my inability to watch much college ball, esp. in season and 2) because we don't know where the Hawks are drafting until May 26. Though trades may go down after that, at least then we'll know where we stand and who we're dealing wiht.

Looking at your views of the prospects KB21 just a few comments,by the way I appreciate also your efforts on the players. I am looking at the players you mentioned in terms of how they could fill the Hawks needs.The Hawks want to get more athletic and while I like Luke Jackson for his range if we are looking at athleticism and JR Smith is available do we take a chance on him? That is provided we either keep Terry and leave him at point till next year draft a power forward first pick and off guard second.

The Pacers have had good luck drafting high schoolers but the hawks never have.If it is between 2 players one high schooler that is more athletic and may develop or drafting a college player that doesn't have the potential what do you do? Two ways to look at this think of all the high schoolers who didn't make it in NBA.Teams that have profited greatly with high schoolers,Minnesota(Garnett),Pacers(Bender,O Neal,Harrington) Cleveland(Lebron)Lakers(Kobe) and I am sure a fe I missed.If we draft a high schooler with second first rounder he better have alot of upside(Jefferson and Smith may be there).In one of my other post I mentioned the draft is a crap shoot but with great scouts go great benefits.Do we have any better scouts this time?

The scond first orunder will be very interesting do we go for a safer pick in a guy like Jackson etc etc or a high schooler that may not start but could be a star? The Bulls have not had luck with high schoolers I personally think JR Smith if he has the right work ethic could be a star.He has amazing outside shooting ability but can drive and dunk like a Kobe.Should be interesting to see what the hawks philosphy is!

I wouldn't mind coming out of things with Josh Smith and Luke. J....problem is, though I like Jackson, he just doesn't fit any team needs. With that second pick, barring a super fortune and taking Okafor or Howard, we'll need a pf or c....and he can't play those positions.

The thing about JR Smith is that he doesn't handle the ball nearly as well as Kobe Bryant did when he came out of high school. In my opinion, JR Smith is a guy that could have used a couple of years at North Carolina to work on his in between game. Right now, he's potentially a great shooter and dunker, but there's not much else there.

Scouts' jobs got a lot harder when high school kids became such a big part of the draft process. It has become almost like baseball, without the minor league system. It's hard to tell who will do well and who won't. You are basically picking guys because you think they might be great. What this has also done is cloud the college scene. The attitude is now that if you have a player that stays 3 or 4 years in college, then something must be wrong with his game.

The year Kobe Bryant came out, one of the top 3 or 4 players in that particular high school class was Stephen Jackson. I think he was rated higher than Jermaine O'Neal was in that class. Jackson hasn't exactly lived up to the billing he had coming out of Oak Hill Academy.

I know alot about the young talent they will soon be in the NBA, but I will wait to express what I think we need to do.

All of us will be able to have deeper conversations about what we feel the Hawks need to do, when we know what our lottery pick is. We will have a much better outlook on the lottery, until trades start to happen.

• Premium Member

I agree about Okafur to a point... He's definitely not the best Shotblocker in college unless you missed Mourning, Robinson, Duncan, and even Bradley? Lots have been made about Okafur's defense and he is good, but on the college level, being good is not so hard. Even if he was the best defensive player to play in college, with very little offensive talent, equates to a weak NBA career. I will give him credit though... I will say that he will fall between Mourning with no offense and Brian Grant as a pro.... He will be a good hustle player with defense, but not quite Ben Wallace.

Howard to me is the next coming of KG mixed with a little Amare Stoudamire. I think Howard will turn out better than Stoudamire. They both are mature, but I just know how has more offensive game and defensive presence.

Deng... I have no love for. I think he's a guy that once you get him, you will have buyers remorse. He doesn't put the ball on the floor well enough to be a consistent slasher. He doesn't shoot well enough from outside to be a serious threat. He's been overhyped in that Duke offense/defense. I think when it's all said and done, he will be Stackhouse with less shooting ability.

• Premium Member

Ben Gordon - JT.

Devin Harris - JT.

Iguadola - I agree with much of what you said... I think if he works on his timing/defense, he could be like Shawn Marion (with less rebounding.) I don't know what you would call that.

Jo Smith... My feelings are known. I agree... VC/Nique type player.

Luke - Hard to say... I think he's closer to Sura than to Miller. Miller is too one dimensional, I think Luke has dimensions.. But I have been so disappointed by all these Ducks...

Smith - Scares me. I think he's late hype and not the real deal. I wonder what Harold Miner would have been like if he had come out a year earlier... Then I think about Smith. I don't think he's as NBA ready as people make him out to be.

Harrison - NO.... NO.... I have watched enough Big 12 games to know that he has no business coming out. Calvin Booth part 2.

I will resevere judgement on Al... it's hard to say... He's dominant but isn't easy to dominant when you're 6'10 and everybody else is 6'5...?

• Premium Member

I know the kid going to Iowa St this year to play C personally. He needs to work on his weight, but he has been fortunate to play with Howard and Big Al and Jo. Smith in these ABCD camps. He told me that Howard is as awesome a player as you will ever see and worthy of the top pick. He also told me that Big Al is a very very good Big man. At the time I spoke with him, J.R. Smith was not on the radar, but he told me that Josh Smith was going to be the next Tmac. I wish this kid was better, but he has a lot of size and he's getting the footwork together. However, he knows a good player when he plays one and he says that all three of those guys are really good. He also talked about Telfair...which is why I'm not so big on Telfair's bandwagon...

BTW....

Just a thought...

What will Cleveland do with Juanny?

I guess I am higher on JR Smith than most but my other point is do we want to settle for a Mike Miller type(Luke jackson)if there is a posasible player that has more athleticism granted may not be as good of a shooter.I know Jackson isn't a stiff but I think the hawks should keep all options open. If we draft Harris and Al Jefferson is availble and heaven knows we need a power forward would you take him?

Chances are we are going to draft a guard a big man (power forward or center with the first 2 picks).I guess it is pointless to debate now since it is to early to figure who the hawks may land.I hope the hawks get some athletic players that can be impact players.

I don't consider it settling for a Mike Miller type. Let's face it. If this team had had a couple of Mike Miller's over the past two years, they would have been better simply due to the versatility and higher basketball IQ.

It's no secret what Bob Sura brought to the team when he came on board. He brought a tremendous feel for the game and a high basketball IQ.

If this team is to get better, they are going to have to get a lot smarter with the basketball. Right now, I don't think JR Smith brings that to the table. That's why I think Josh Smith is better than JR. I feel that Josh brings a better feel for the game.

True, Luke Jackson has more fundamentall sound than any high school kid but reading my last post I am hoping for a more athletic player than Jackson.It doesn't have to be Smith but someone who has more upside than Jackson.Definitely not to draft JR smith no 7 or the hawks first pick.We can make an argument for players like Luke Jackson vs players that are more ahtletic both that have failed and have been not only average players but stars.If Jackson was a Larry Bird type that can out think you and make clutch baskets and not be shut down then draft him.I just don't want a Randy Wittman coming in and beign a spot up shooter.

The Hawks have always lacked basketball IQ even during the Domonique days. We need talent,players that are smart and the right pieces.A big job for anyone but every great team has its beginings and if we have the right GM,scouts and coach we can make it happen.

Who is Roko Ukic,I have seen a report he is fast and similar to Tony Paker. Anyone know about him?

As it stands Dwight Howard the Hawks need to find a way to get him.I think the comparisons of the falcons to the hawks is some what similar.Before Vick the franchise was lame with nope.Bad GM's,coaches and no vision.I don;'t think Howard will be what vick is but he has potential to be a top player. If we finish with the 7th pick did it really pay off winning those games instead of getting a potential star player? Without star players the hawks will be stuck being eventally a good team but never winning any championships without star players.

With Luke Jackson, we are talking about the 17th pick. The chances of landing a star player at 17 is slim to none.

The team needs a star player or two, but the team also needs role players. On every championship team, there is a role player that is a big key in everything. Look at the difference in the Spurs from last year and the Spurs from this year. Outside of not having David Robinson, they didn't have that spot up shooter that Stephen Jackson provided for them last year.

One name that could slide is Jameer Nelson would fans be disapointed if Hawks drafted him 17th? The guy has questions if he is fast enough but on the upside he can take over a game with his passing and point scoring plus he is a leader. I wonder how he compares to a player like Duhon and to pull 2 other players Tim Hardaway in his prime before the injury and Stoudamire? I would be interested on the boards thoughts about Nelson!

Jameer would be a horrible pick, no two ways about it. He's too similar to JT, something that we're all familiar with. Sure, he's stronger and arguably better going inside (remember when JT used to go into the lane....HINT it's when he was an exclusive two)....but he's slower than JT, by a standard deviation if not more without the J (I just keep hearing "Prince" saying, shoot the J, SHOOT IT). . He's got no lateral quickness...none. It's why he pulled out of the draft last year (after declaring only to be shut down in the pre-draft camps). YES, he is a stronger, more physical guard. But his passing skills...are you kidding? It's the drive in the lane and pass to the open man (though he is a hair ahead of JT) that gets soooomany players into trouble (see GRob, JT, even Sjax). A Final Note ~ don't forget that JT was college player of the Year in some awards before he came out....ding ding.

imo, unless you're getting Iverson out of the draft, do NOT draft a two guard with the size of a one. Without extreme luck in FA or draft, you're foced to either go mini-me with a complimentary SG or continually search for that pg with size. We know that road.

• Premium Member

I agree... If we had to pick between Jackson and JR Smith, I probably would go with Smith. Even though, I think Jackson could be a good all around player, I haven't been impressed with those Ducks from the past few years. I really would take the gamble of Smith based solely on athleticism and potential... Plus, rather than wait on Jackson, I would rather resign Sura.