• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

An interesting article from hoopsworld.com

Hawks 71 (2-1) vs. Suns 74 (1-2)

This was a close game all the way through. With 49.3 seconds left in the game, Casey Jacobsen hit a three pointer to give the Suns a 70 to 67 lead. This was basically the nail in the coffin. Leandro Barbosa had a great game. He usually was picking up quick fouls in each of his previous games. He was able to get to the third quarter before picking up a foul. He went for 16 points and 6 assists. Barbosa is a tough match up for other guards as he is big and strong but is as quick as can be. Maciej Lampe has shown improvement on the boards, 10. He is moving a lot better without the ball and has shown good handle when he has had to dribble. Jackson Vroman is exactly what the Suns expected him to be. He works hard and defends well. He will see time playing next season as both a backup PF and Center.

The Hawks continue to run a lineup that is basically all Shooting Guards and Small Forwards. They usually try to run their best players. Travis Hansen played very well and has shown great athleticism. He has an amazing jumping ability and can stay in the air that extra second to get his shot off. Josh Smith is amazingly athletic but has shown that he is streaky and does not handle constant pressure well. Josh Childress continues to the be the steadiest player on the team. He seams to have around the same stat line and influence on each game. He finished with 14 points and 5 boards.

Blazers 87 (1-2) vs. Mavericks 101 (2-1)

The best game by far over any other game. This game was constant offense and a show of amazing athleticism. Devin Harris is as good as he was supposed to be. He can run the team, take the big shots, create offense, rebound, and score. He is quick, he can take his man off his first step, and he is not afraid to make plays. He went for 21 points, 7 boards, 5 assists, 1 block and 2 turnovers. Marquis Daniels continued to shoot the ball whenever he had it. Amazingly, he led the team in assists with 7. I don’t ever remember him driving the ball towards the hoop and passing it. He is able to score at will and drive towards the basket and pick up fouls. Josh Howard was not at full speed. I heard that his ankles were hurting him, yet he went for 17 points and had some amazing dunks. All three of these guys are decent at defense and will only get better. This will be a very scary team in the regular season. Parel Podkolzin had an interesting game. 11 minutes, 0 shots, 4 for 4 on free throws, 3 rebounds, 5 fouls and 2 turnovers. He is big, I’ll give him that. He doesn’t bring much else but you have to remember that he is very young.

The Blazers have an interesting problem on their hands. Sebastian Telfair is an amazing player. He is probably the fastest player I have ever seen. He has a crossover that would make Iverson cry. He has a spin move that leaves his defender on the other side of the court. He is amazing, the only problem, he plays to much like a streetballer. Telfair can get to the basket in the blink of an eye and then toss a teammate a pass that they had no idea was coming. He plays out of control on some plays. If he could get under control, he will be amazing.

On the other side is Dan Dickau. Dickau plays very conservatively and gets the job done. He does not have the flash but he will not have the turnovers. I think Telfair will win the battle of the back up PG spot, but it will be a tough call. Darius Rice continues to impress. He is strong, rebounds 9 and shoots well, 15 points. He should be signed by a team by the end of the week. Qyntel Woods continues his clean living play. If you did not know, he has cut his hair, put on 15 pounds of muscle, and entered drug rehab. He went 8-16 for 27 points. He can score at will and no one can defend him. If his defense improves, look for him to really contribute next season.

Spurs 87 (1-2) vs. Bulls 93 (3-0)

Devin Brown has played great so far and only continues to improve. He went for 22 points and 5 assists. He handles the ball well and runs the Spurs exactly how they should be run. Vincent Yarbrough played great off the bench. Yarbrough had 9 points and 5 boards. He is an emotional leader on the team and is in just about every battle for a rebound. Look for him to be picked up by an NBA team by the time the week is done. If he isn’t, teams need to take another look.

Phoenix should be kicking themselves for trading Luol Deng to the Bulls for a future pick. Deng has played very well all week and looks to be a great player in the making. He went 8-14 for 20 points and 4 boards. Ben Gordon does a great job of handling the ball and shooting. He is not afraid to go after rebounds and plays tough defense. He had 19 points and 7 boards. Mario Austin had an off day for the Bulls but had played great every other game.

thanks.

the Blazers an truly an interesting conglomeration of young talented players...that often duplicate themselves. I'm sure that Qyntel's progression as a player and person has the team in flux concerning what to do with Darius. Nice praise for Telfair too...

one thing that doesn't surprise me...Darius Rice receiving some acclaim and likely being signed to a (two year's my guess) deal. You knew that the kid who received the sort of press he did in two consecutive drafts had some gain, even if it was sorta one dimensional. Memory may not serve me correctly, but I think his game is much similar to that of Josh Howard...without the all-round.