• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Josh Smith getting Props from ESPN

emeans

He was one of the top 3 high schoolers in the Summer Leagues:

From ESPN Insider:

Smith has the potential to become the most exciting Atlanta Hawk since Dominique "The Human Highlight Film" Wilkens. The 6-9, 210-pounder's acrobatic power slams make him a shoe-in for next year's dunk competition and he showed he isn't scared of trying to dunk on the likes of Dallas' 7-foot-5 rookie center Pavel Podkolzin. Smith also showed he can block shots, finishing third in the Rocky Mountain Revue in blocks per game at a 2.5 with several being tossed like a spiked volleyball.

Hawks rookie Josh Smith sure didn't play like an 18-year-old in Utah.

Smith averaged a team-best 14.7 points (on 46.4-percent shooting), 4.2 rebounds and 2.3 assists in Utah. The 17th overall pick also showed he can hit the NBA 3-pointer by nailing seven of 18 attempts, but he needs to improve from the free-throw line (58.6 percent).

"It's a whole different game," Smith said. "It's much more physical and you got to play every night because you're stepping on the court with someone that could have as much game."

While Smith was statistically one of the top players in Utah, the Hawks still consider him to be very raw.

"He can make the plays with the dribble. Right now, he's very unorthodox with his play. He's raw," Hawks coach Mike Woodson said. "He does things off of instinct, and that's a good thing. But I tell these young guys, this is a thinking man's game. You got to absorb and learn as much as you can ...

"He's got a wonderful situation here, and I'm not going to baby him. I know he's 18. But I get paid to coach the team and that's what I'm going to do."

Everytime I hear or see Woodson talk about Smith he never gives him too much credit. Is this a mind game (i.e. Larry Brown) he is playing with the kid? I hope he doesn't have a chip on his shoulder (like Jay Bilas)and not give him the opportunity he is going to need in order to be successful. In other words I hope Woodson doesn't stint his career and development. I hope this is his psychology to get into Smiths head.

Have you guys notice that??

• Moderators

Woodson is all about keeping the fans realistic and keeping Smith's ego in check and his mind on improving himself. There is no way in the world that Woodson won't devote himself to developing Smith, IMO. However, if you start praising a guy too early they can really bomb in the regular season (see Marcus Banks last year).

It looks like everyone is raving about Smith on the one hand after the summer league but they are bashing Childress with the other hand.

Woodson realizes Smith's potential, but he also realizes he has a very long way to go. To some extent, most of what Josh was doing in the summer leagues was due to his unreal athletism, which is scary. However, a player cannot make it in the league based on pure athletism. Josh Smith is going to have to work hard and consistently improve his game. That's all that Woodson is saying. And Woodson is not going to cut him any slack just because he is 18. That's a great way to be, because Josh needs to know that he is not there just yet.

Now just imagine if Josh gets a good grasp of all the fundamentals and learns how to play in the NBA. Wow.

Points well taken!! He is treating him like a father figure, making him earn his respect.

I am actually glad we have a coach like that. Atlanta has traditionally had Players Coaches that kind of give way to the players and always praise their players regardless of how good or bad they played.

I don't think Woodson is going to do that. He is going to tell it like it is. I you played lousy, you will be told that and the rest of the world will know how you played. I love this!!

I hope Jim Mora does the same with the Falcons!!

A proverb puts it this way "pride goes before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall." Coach wants to keep the phenom in check. I think it is a good thing not to pump him up too much at this stage in his NBA career. Afterall the kid still has much to learn. As he learns the affirmations will follow. I am already a fan though and can't wait to see his talent on display at Phillips.