• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

***Next years' FA & its effect on this year***

mrhonline

• Premium Member

I went and looked at next year's FA class to get an idea of who might be available. My thinking was that it might be smart to save some $ for some FA's next year, but I quickly realized that next year's FA class is one of the weakest EVER.

Long story short, the best PG's available in 2006 are:

1. JT (he's not coming back)

2. Speedy Claxton (ugh)

That's a sad list. It's obvious that the Hawks PG will come through the draft.

There are a few SF's available, but the Hawks won't be needing one of those. There are a few SG's, but none better than even Cuttino Mobley.

What we do have, is big men. They fall into two categories, older centers and restricted PF.

Of the centers, there is:

1. Ben Wallace (yeah, right)

2-6. Lo Wright

Michael Olowokandi

Kelvin Cato

Joel Pryzbilla (not coming back)

Nazr Mohammed (will be extended)

Either way, it looks like a good backup Center will be available next year.

As far as PF's, the options are (and they're all RFA):

1. Nene

2. Chris Wilcox

3. Drew Gooden

4. Melvin Ely

5. David West

If Harrington doesn't work out, the Hawks could make a serious run at Wilcox or Nene. Either would be a better complement to Marvin/Smith IMHO b/c of their size.

--- ---

My point is this - if the Hawks want some FA's to help this team develop, THIS is the year to get them.

Dalembert, Chandler, Hughes, Johnson, et al. - They are all better options than almost ever player available in 2006.

Knight & Co. surely realize this and are probably prepared to pay out for this year FA crop. Otherwise, the Hawks are going to have to build EXCLUSIVELY through the draft, which isn't the best of options.

If it were me, I would give serious thought to trying to workout a ways to get one of Johnson/Hughes and one of Chandler/Dalembert to the Hawks this season.

Just my two cents.

Guest Walter

Nice post. Good theory.

Another thing to mention. With next year's draft potentially being watered down with CBA draft eligability changes we will be even more hard pressed to fill our positional needs. Our inability to credibly fill one of our two starter needs at Pg and C with this draft and the weakness of the FA market next year as you describe make this FA year utmost important (and there really isn't a FA Pg I must have). In otherwords, we're a little screwed.

I would be a little more optimistic had we picked up a Pg early. Even if we didn't I would...had we picked up Ukic. He is undoubtedly a better starting Pg prospect than Stoudamire. We didn't. Now we're left with 2 gapping holes and RESTRICTED hope that we can convince someone despite ourselves, overpay for them, and out-bid a team to fill one hole and little if any hope to fill the second in the next two years.

This has suddenly turned into the 8 year rebuilding plan. I can't wait until we draft Rudy Gay next year.

W

Guest Walter

...in this year's FAcy. If we can "lock down" a starter at at least one position (likely center) in FAcy we have at least a shot at getting another in next year's draft (not FA as the thread starter made very clear next year's FA class at Pg and C is weak).

I'm not sold on Knight as a salesman and I think that (and the max) will be what it takes to get an unrestricted FA of merit to sign here. Possibility of a trade of Al Harrington for a center exists. Al and our LA 1st next year for Maglore? I'm also willing to take a flier out on Curry, but acknowledge I may eat crow if there is any left after he's eaten.

W

• Premium Member

Walt, the only thing I disagree with is that since the Hawks are likely to pick in the top5 again next year, they will get a quality player regardless. IOW, drafting a PG with the #2 wasn't going to change their draft situation much this coming year. It might have been the difference between a #2 and a #6. Not that significant IMO.

The Lakers' pick is the one that loses some of its value because the draft will be thinner. It's likely to be a pick in the 15-20 range, which probably compares to a 20-25 in this year's draft.

That's why I think the Hawks should consider moving it if it lands them Chandler or Dalembert.

While I’m extremely happy with Billy’s evaluation of talent I have a couple of concerns about his/our ability to get good FA’s.

1. I have to agree with Walter here, unless there’s another Billy that we don’t know about, he’s gonna have a hard time (with his personality) selling free agents on The Hawks.

2. I think we’re fooling ourselves if we think that we won’t have to pay more than other teams to get quality free agents. We have a huge perception problem to overcome and if it’s not the money that draws these guys then what else do we have to offer?

Remember, it is not just Billy they talk to. 'Nique is in the middle of the FA process. He HAS a personality.

But we WILL have to pay a premium to get someone to come here. It IS Atlanta - great for a southern city but no NY, CHI, or LA. And we are not yet a winning team. So the only motivation for a FA to come here is 1) money, 2) playing time (and if they are good they get that elsewhere), or 3) hometown appeal (like for Kwame or Shareef). Top players who care about winning won't come here - now.

yeti