• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is Chill Really a Starter?

jaywalker72

Thanks god for DirecTV...

Do you guys see all the games? Chill improved as the year went on. Made a LOT of rebounds and his shot got way better (although it IS very ugly). His D is very good, and he makes some very nice passes. His head is always in the game and he doesn't really hurt the team at all. I LOVE Chill. I think there is only upside here. For a guy who played for a 'weak conference' in college and was looked so softly on, his production was great. He will only get better as I feel he is a true student of the game. You could see it in him...he is so fluid and easy on the court. He attacked the basket and has great footwork and better than average ball-handling. In 3 years, he will be the 18.6 ppg SF on the team. I do believe that...especially if we put better players around him.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Do you guys see all the games? Chill improved as the year went on. Made a LOT of rebounds and his shot got way better (although it IS very ugly). His D is very good, and he makes some very nice passes. His head is always in the game and he doesn't really hurt the team at all.

FWIW, the Pac-10 isn't a weak conference.

Also, yes, I watched almost all of the games and I don't agree with some of your comments.

Childress does have a knack for scoring near the basket, rebounds well for his position, plays smart, and hustles on D. But, his D is overrated, his shot hardly improved (he avoided the open three like the plague at times), and he's not the quickest of players.

Besides, JW didn't question those things; he simply questioned whether Childress is the team's long-term solution at the 2 guard.

I think we can all agree that he has some work left to do to secure that spot for years to come.

Quote:

Quote:

Do you guys see all the games? Chill improved as the year went on. Made a LOT of rebounds and his shot got way better (although it IS very ugly). His D is very good, and he makes some very nice passes. His head is always in the game and he doesn't really hurt the team at all.

FWIW, the Pac-10 isn't a weak conference.

Also, yes, I watched almost all of the games and I don't agree with some of your comments.

Childress does have a knack for scoring near the basket, rebounds well for his position, plays smart, and hustles on D. But, his D is overrated, his shot hardly improved (he avoided the open three like the plague at times), and he's not the quickest of players.

Besides, JW didn't question those things; he simply questioned whether Childress is the team's long-term solution at the 2 guard.

I think we can all agree that he has some work left to do to secure that spot for years to come.

I thought his D was very commendable considering nobody else on the team except for Smoove plays any at all. Plus, I thought his shot looked way better toward the end of the year and that he gained some confidence in it. Plus he's the only reliable free throw shooter on the team outside of Delk (who I think is gone this year).

go to guy. I agree with Jay that I don't see a go to scorer's mentality (or skill) in Chillz' game but I DO see a guy who can give you a solid 14/7/3 as a starter playing alongside a bonafide scoring SF (or SG depending upon where you want to play him). Best case, I see him as a cross between Scottie Pippen and Shawn Marion, not quite as good (or athletic) as either but very productive.

All of the above being said, it won't surprise me at all to see Chillz coming off the bench if we land Joe Johnson. He'll still get his 30+ mpg, just off the bench.