• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

John Edwards at Kent

bopol

I was trolling your forum after seeing that John Edwards signed with the Hawks. Since I follow Kent basketball and saw a fair amount of John Edwards playing, I thought I'd just throw up a message telling you a little about what your team just dropped $2M on.

As you already know, he didn't play much high school basketball (42 career points). He wasn't recruited to Kent to play basketball and only came to the attention of Kent's coach after his team played a pick-up game against a bunch of kids (including Edwards). The Kent team killed them, but they were invited back to practice against the club the next week. Only Edwards showed up. He spent most of his red-shirt season as a practice body, getting 'dunked on'.

When he did play the next year as a back-up center, my main thought he really didn't have much business on the basketball court. He didn't move well. When he moved his arms, he usually fouled someone. He was a big boy, but totally clueless.

The next year he seemed to play better. He began fitting into the rotation and Kent used a two center scheme with Edwards matched with a freshman (Nate Gerwig) who did most of the starting. This was Kent's Elite 8 team, and the team was legitimately that good, so Edwards wasn't asked to do much except provide defense for about 12-15 minutes a game. Probably the highlight of his season was the second round NCAA game where he totally shut down Alabama's star player Erwin Dudley and helped push the team into the Sweet 16.

His role expanded his junior year, as all of the key guards from the Elite 8 team graduated and Gerwig suffered through shoulder problems. Edwards began really being a defensive force. It wasn't that he moved any faster, but he positioned himself better and anticipated what was coming his way more. He became an excellent shot blocker this year and was able to really clog up the lane (but this is the MAC, so he wasn't exactly playing against elite competition, but he did hold his own against Chris Kaman).

His senior year, he finally became the starting center as Nate Gerwig was red-shirted with an injury. Now, Edwards began playing better on offense, developing a nice short hook. My biggest complaint about him at this point was he would a) get into foul trouble pretty easily (the team was awfully shallow and couldn't afford it) and b) would get an offensive rebound and bring the ball down to let the guards swipe at it, instead of going right back up. He had developed into a solid offensive and superior defensive player.

Basically, in the four years, I watched him go from an athletically handicapped player who looked lost into a athletically challenged player who knew how to get the most out of his ability. All reports say that he was a solid citizen and worked his butt off.

From an NBA standpoint, I felt, if given a shot and a chance to learn the game, he could be a capable back-up center for 10 years. Artest going nuts kept him on the Pacers' roster and now the Hawks have pushed enough money his way that they are going to give Edwards that shot. My thinking is that he is like Tree Rollins. No, not the good Tree Rollins that played for the Hawks in the early 80s, but the Tree Rollins that was a back-up center in his mid-30s. Clog up the middle, block a few shots, deliver a few hard fouls, and try not to get in the way on the offensive end of the court. Some have suggested that he may have more upside than a typical 24-year old since he hasn't had a typical basketball background, but I don't really see an upside that he'll ever be a starter. I am pretty surprised that the Hawks doled out a two-year multi-million dollar contract on him given that he didn't really show much in Indiana last year, and really didn't play much in the summer league except how easy it is to get under Bogut's skin.

I wish him the best of luck though. The Elite 8 team was a thrill and I hope he succeeds.

Oh Lord no!

I thought it was a non-goofy John Edwards...but he's a nice big body to throw in there. Really, he's way more aggressive than Collier and plays D, so he shouldn't get embarrassed much.

I had this guy's mom for a prof in college and she's a freaking lunatic when it comes to her son playing. I'm glad I'm out of that area. She'll probably wear Hawks jerseys to class. She wore a custom Edwards jersey to class some days and a Trevor Huffman jersey during the NCAA tournament when they made the run. She may also have an Antonio Gates Kent Basketball jersey, too. He was also on that team.

Hopefully he has the aggressiveness that his mommy does...ha!

Let's see if I have this right:

Has learned to position himself well to rebound.

He's big. Will be able to clog up the middle.

Won't be intimidated, but able to give and recieve

the hard fouls.

Smart enough to stay out of the way on offense and just

might score if ignored completely.

Sounds like just what the Doctor ordered for the Hawks.

Player deep on the bench, but ready and willing to put

in the few minutes each game to put a stop to the

other team's run of dunk after dunk and running away

from the Hawks.

Our answer to the query, "Who is your Tractor Trailer

type player?"

GO HAWKS !!!!!

smirk.gif

• Moderators

Quote:

He sounds kinda' like a poor man's Tyson Chandler.

Solid rebounder, Big and Tall, (maybe weaker defensively), but can score if he's all alone and doesn't blow the dunk.

Except that Chandler is very athletic and Edwards is sub-par athletically. Sounds more to me like a poor man's Joel Pryzbilla or Adonyl Foyle.

• Moderators

I hope I'm wrong, but I expect a poor man's Pryzbilla or Foyle. I expect Edwards to be somewhat similar in style and average about 1/4 of the points, rebounds, blocks, etc. that they do. I guess I'm not disagreeing with you (except to say that I think Pryzbilla has some potential) it is just that I expect Edwards to be a poor man's poor man.

Everything I have found on Edwards says just the opposite, that he is a GOOD ATHLETE..Some of it is posted on the original "Bash Edwards" thread..

"He played for Kent State University in college taking two trips to the Big Dance--the NCAA tournament (loosing to fifth seed Cincinnati in the second round after the upset beating forth seed Indiana in the first round in 2001 and making it all the way to the elite eight in 2002 as a ten seed beating number two seed Alabama and number seven seed Oklahoma State.) He was named MAC Defesive Player of the Year in his final season and holds the Kent State record for season and career blocked shots."

This is his draft preview from SI.com

"JOHN EDWARDS

Position: C

Class: Sr

School: Kent St.

Conference: MAC

Ht., Wt.: 7'0, 264

BIO: In his first and only season as a starter, Edwards averaged 13.2 points, 6.7 rebounds and 2.2 blocks in 26.1 minutes as a senior and earned MAC Defensive Player of the Year honors. His prep career was hampered by injuries and illness as a result of his growth spurt, and he scored just 42 points in high school.

ANALYSIS: Edwards is a likely second-rounder, given how weak the depth is in this draft. He competed at both Portsmouth and Chicago and has been making the rounds on the workout circuit in hopes of raising his stock.

POSITIVES: Edwards does not look like a great athlete, but he gets off the floor. When you combine that with a 7-foot, 264-pound frame and a 7-4 1/2 wingspan, you have the makings of a player who can rebound and block shots in the NBA. Edwards will never score you a ton of points, but he will take up space.

NEGATIVES: Edwards did very little to prove himself in college, so any predictions that he can succeed at the next level are speculative. Moreover, at best Edwards is probably a backup center in the NBA. In that sense, his upside is very short.

PROJECTION: Reserve"

Sounds to me like the guy can play a little...If someone is that prolific at blocking shots they have to be a decent athlete..Just being tall wont get you many blocks.

Career: A one-time walk-on who splits time with Nate Gerwig in KSU’s center rotation ... Is third on the school’s career blocked shots list with 98, nine shy of the all-time mark ... Set Kent State’s single-season blocks record last season ... Is tremdously athletic for his size ... Has been at Kent State longer than anyone on the roster ... Is Kent State’s second 7-footer and first since Jim Zoet in the mid-1970s.

"I watched him go from an athletically handicapped player who looked lost into a athletically challenged player"

Thats funny!

"Sounds more to me like a poor man's Joel Pryzbilla or Adonyl Foyle. " shocked.gif

A poor mans poor man, even funnier!

Seriously, this guy has some value, I believe he has some athletic ability to alter a few shots in the lane and grab a couple boards. 7'4" wingspan. cool.gif For a cool mil per year, its worth a shot.

That's all the Hawks are looking for in him. If he gives them 15 minutes a game of hard play, then based on the current pay scale, they will be getting their money's worth. There are some on this board that obviously think centers grow on trees and that a team should have three starting quality centers on their roster. There aren't many more than three quality starting centers in the NBA period.

I said during the draft that the trend in the NBA at this point is going towards the smaller, more active centers. Sure, if a great 7 footer comes along, they will be taken. Most will get overdrafted simply because they are 7 feet tall; see Andrew Bogut.

Anyway, I think the Hawks realize that they aren't getting that one dominant center, so they are going to attempt to get the best out of a rotation of Zaza Pachulia, Jason Collier, John Edwards, and Esteban Batista.

Quote:

Everything I have found on Edwards says just the opposite, that he is a GOOD ATHLETE..Some of it is posted on the original "Bash Edwards" thread..

Sounds to me like the guy can play a little...If someone is that prolific at blocking shots they have to be a decent athlete..Just being tall wont get you many blocks.

Yeah, I read the same reports at draft time last year when SI and others had him projected as a late second rounder with San Antonio showing particular interest. Listen, he's a great athlete in the sense that anyone that plays in the NBA is in the 99th percentile of humanity. Even by NBA standards, Edwards is a physically strong player. But, by NBA standards, he is an extremely slow player. Don't believe me now, just wait and see.

Can he contribute if he gets up the NBA learning curve? Sure.

Can he hit Shaq hard enough that Shaq feels it? Yep.

Can he be a starter and one of the top 5 guys on a NBA team? Don't see it.

Do I hope he succeeds? Hell, yeah. With that 29 point outburst last year, he's already Kent's all-time leading scorer in the NBA (Doug Sims scored 4 points and Jim Zoet scored 2).

Do I think he will? Yeah, I do. I think he'll work hard enough to have a nice long NBA run as a backup.

Really, though, in the last seven years since Kent got good in basketball, I would put Edwards as Kent's sixth best player behind Antonio Gates (NFL), Trevor Huffman (CBA and Portugul), Andrew Mitchell (Sweden), Demetric Shaw (NDBL and Iceland and Argentina and Australia), and John Whorton (Turkey). I am shocked out of all those guys, it's Edwards that's in the NBA. I expected he'd be spending his 20s in France or something like that.

I agree with you bopol. I've played with Huffman and Gates in the past (they were friends with the all time leading scorer at my college and came to the gym and played pick up ball one day) and they're both amazing players. Huffman should've gotten a shot in the NBA...