• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is Batista any better than Lucas Tischer?

Blunt91

I know many of us haven't seen Batista play but It just seems like he came out of no where. Lucas Tischer was a guy that was projected to go in the late 2ndround of the draft but didn't get drafted although signed by the Suns a few days ago. The reason I bring up Tischer's name is for one he was in a Predraft workout for the Hawks, secondly his attributes of being a very Physical post player and a good rebounder are some of the same traits that describe Esteban Batista. They are also both 22years old and around the same height 6'9 to 6'10range. I am just wondering does the fact that Tischer didn't get a summer league invite speaks highly of us signing Batista? Did Batista show more during the Tournament to warrant us signing him over Tischer or any other young overseas prospect? Why wasn't Batista on anybody's radar before the draft? Why didn't he get any invites to a summer league roster? Lots of questions to ask. I am wondering whether we signed him because we knew we could get him for cheap. I am not downing Batista( I don't know much about him) just wondering how we passed on someone who was projected as a later lottery pick for someone who wasn't even talked about until 3 or 4weeks ago?

Didn't think so. That's why. That and he's been playing ball only 5 years (was a soccer player prior to that).

It's similar to the reason why Wake Forest of all schools (no offense Demon Deacon fans) got Duncan, originally a swimmer, out of a Dominican Republic HS.

W

this duncan originally a swimmer thing...seriously, it makes me laugh.

I don't doubt that he swam, maybe even in HS...but can someone verify this for me? I've swum down there, WAYYY back in the day (actually, I was 13? 14? and the meet was at St. Croix...I wonder if Timmy was there?!)...

seriously? how long did he swim? can anyone name an event? I want verification damnit!

also...the soccer player bit is actually a huge compliment for a big man...if true and he was decent at all...that's footwork folks. Yes...I'm diong what I blasted, but...ask Hakeem!

It is always hilarious to see guys on here give scouting reports of players and make proclaimations about their abilities..Whether he is talking about Tischer or Batista, he is obviously wrong..If NBA scouts , coaches and general managers think these guys have some talent, then they have some talent..It doesn't mean they will be stars, but it means they have the physical abilities that at least give them a chance in the league..Do anybody here not think the Suns or the Hawks management and scouts are not better NBA talent judges than a fan on a messageboard?

Dominican Republic HS where did u get this information from

To correct your statement Tim Duncan attended St. Dunstan's High School on the islands of St. Croix in the United States Virgin Islands.

And the swimming he was actually a swimmer first from a young age and then when Hurrican Hugo came along and damaged the islands especially the pool where he used to swim, thats when he started to pick up basketball.

It hit me later that it was ST. Croix. Wherever it was, it was like Uruguay, not a place US scouts usually recruit.

The swimming thing was my point. Batiste was a soccer player apparently until his size was noticed by a local or regional b-ball scout.

W

Quote:

It is always hilarious to see guys on here give scouting reports of players and make proclaimations about their abilities..Whether he is talking about Tischer or Batista, he is obviously wrong..If NBA scouts , coaches and general managers think these guys have some talent, then they have some talent..It doesn't mean they will be stars, but it means they have the physical abilities that at least give them a chance in the league..Do anybody here not think the Suns or the Hawks management and scouts are not better NBA talent judges than a fan on a messageboard?

Message board scouts and the guys that get paid to do it are very comparable. As ridiculous as that seems, I know I'm batting about .500 against the paid scouts. I have been right 100 times on a player that I thought that was better, and I have been wrong a 100 times when a paid scout thought that another guy was better.

I have seen it many times, where a guy on a message board swears a player is better, and they turn out to really be. I have seen the reverse of that too.

Scouting isn't an exact science. Luck is heavily involved. With so many big bux to be made these days. Attitude has become as important as skill. Some guys just can't continue to improve, and put the blood, sweat, and tears involved in to getting better. They would rather spend their time spending the millions they have.

This year's NBA Draft Class. I had Marv and Gearld Green atop my board. They outclassed the field. When it finally came down to deciding between the two. I gave it to Marv, simply on the height.

I'm sure in 5 years, the chances of these 2 being the first and second best are very unlikely. Just as unlikely as Bougut and Williams will be.

Some teams claim they passed on Gearld Green, simply cause they was looking for something else. It is beyond me, how a team with a top 17 pick could not take the best talent availale. I fully believe in a draft talent first basis. I think a team like the Spurs could draft for needs.

If you like Kobe or McGrady's Game, then Green is a solid pick to follow in their footsteps. He has shown every sign, that he has the makings of one of these players. In fact, I would say all 3 of these guys are ahead of Michael Jordan, and where he was at, at the point and time these 3 are.

Michael Jordan proved to continue to get better, and did anything and everything it took to win championships. These 3 will have Jordan to rise up to. If they don't make it there, no shame......and they are still great players. If Green never becomes McGrady or Kobe, I think he lands just beneath them.

As far as Batista is concern. If he's Ben Wallace or Doug Edwards. It really is a non issue. He's not taking money or a spot from any other canidate that has a better upside. In fact, in NBA Terms, he's really free!

So in the world of scouting. He's a great sign. If he does well, then the scouts get all the praise. If he fails, no one will blame the scouts. Win Win Situation!

http://www.nba.com/hawks/news/Hawks_Sign_B...5.html#confcall

That is on the official website.

From a scouting perpspective, I like this question and answer:

What attracts you the most about the NBA, improving your game or the large sums of money associated with the league?

"What appeals to me the most is having the opportunity to be a part of this world that all basketball players dream of. Not all players are fortunate enough to make it at such a young age, and it’s a real honor for me to be a part of this league. I can’t wait for the season to start and hope to be able to stay for a long time, because there really is no better league than this one. I really have to work hard to earn a spot in this league"

From a scouting perspective, I don't like this answer:

Are you physically prepared for your debut on October 11?

"Physically I’m fine, I’m not at 100% because I just completed the tournament in Dominican Republic and then rested for a few days, but I expect to get back in shape by playing time. I’ll be at 100% by then – I’m really looking forward to that day."

I feel in his situation, there is no time for rest. He very well may need it, but a lot of pro athletes today, stay in shape year round.

However, before this question, he did say this:

What is your objective now?

"My objective is to train hard. I had my second training day today and my priority is to earn a spot in this team and have playing minutes. I know it’s hard, the players on the team are very good, but I hope to put up a good fight to earn a spot. That would be ideal for me."

So, I wasn't really left with a clear impression on his status. Is he resting? Or is he trainning still? Reading into comments like this, have become just as important, as reading into their actual skill level, for scouts.

He does show a lot class, and mentioning the young people of his country. He realizes that they will be looking up to him. The reasoning for him choosing the number "11", is positive too. He wasn't selfish, and actually chose his number in respect for his agent.

I think he needs to give alot of NBA players interview advice. Good interview.

As far as a time for rest. He absolutely needed rest (and said "rested" which means he's taken it, all two weeks of it). A preseason + 82 game schedule is 3 times what college players play a year. Players not only hit a wall, they often break-down after such extensive playing. I doubt playing for Uruguay he gets the training, nutrition advice any NBA player gets. Where's SAR's personal chef? Tim Grover?

Batista was resting, so what? The reason of his improoving skills are that he allways trained like his teamates in the practice, and then he trained alone with a personal trainer. Considerating this i think that in the meantime he was resting he wasn't resting as you think he do, instead he was doing a basic training which is not the same that train to compete officially, especially in NBA.

Another thing to take advice is that the regular season here in Uruguay are 45 matches and it plays every 3 days, and since we are a small country there's no long distance to travel.