• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

More Info on DJ's Condition After the Car Accident

Jester

I did not see anyone else post this, so here it goes....

----------------------------------------------

HAWKS' DERMARR JOHNSON

INJURED IN MORNING AUTO ACCIDENT

----------------------------------------------

Condition Stable, Surgery to be Performed Friday Afternoon

Atlanta Hawks forward DerMarr Johnson (22) was involved in an early morning auto accident Friday in Atlanta. He, along with two other passengers, suffered injuries when Johnson's car veered off the road near his home in the Cascade area. His injuries are not considered life threatening.

Initially taken to Southwest Community Hospital, Johnson was later airlifted to Atlanta Medical Center.

Johnson's condition is currently listed as stable, with a vertebral body fracture, described by Dr. Paul King, neurosurgeon at Atlanta Medical Center, as a cervical spine fracture. According to Dr. King, Johnson could be released from the hospital as early as Monday, following surgery scheduled for Friday afternoon.

According to Dr. King, the prognosis for Johnsons long-term recovery is excellent, but in the short term, his playing status for the upcoming season is in question.

All the signs appear to be very positive, said Hawks VP/General Manager Pete Babcock. There's no paralysis and none of his functions appear to be affected at all, so thats great news. The surgeon says the spinal fracture can be repaired.

After spending one season at the University of Cincinnati, Johnson was the Hawks top pick (sixth overall) in the 2000 NBA Draft. Last season, he saw a significant increase in playing time as the season progressed, starting 46 games (playing in 72 overall) and averaging 8.4 points, 3.4 rebounds and 1.1 assists per game (.396 FG%, .360 3FG%, .810 FT%). He posted a career-best 28 points vs. Milwaukee on April 2, 2002.

Johnson has been working diligently this offseason on increasing his upper-body strength. He participated in voluntary workouts with his teammates at Philips Arena on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of this week.

I do not see anything about burns, so maybe the radio station I heard the info from did not have all the facts at the time they reported what had happened. Still, I wish DJ a full and speedy recovery. To begin with, it is too bad that it happened, that he was hurt, and that he was hurt at a time like now when the team may be up to good things. Still, his health is more important than anything else. PEACE.