• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who're Your TPE Targets? (non-insider)

kg01

I got nothin'.  I guess Ayton.  Maybe the other Bogdanovic. *shudders* Kyle Lose-ma?

Just for discussion purposes, no need to rehash the trade.  Just curious if anyone has any names they think we should target.

I think the most obvious outcome is something like D. Wright as a buyout +complaints from out FO about bot being able to use it. 

I guess insiders are welcome to join in.  Just figured it'd be tough to differentiate opinion vs 'inside-ing'.  🙄

Edited by kg01
  • Haha 1

• kg01 changed the title to Who're Your TPE Targets? (non-insider)
  • Moderators
Just now, kg01 said:

I got nothin'.  I guess Ayton.  Maybe the other Bogdanovic. *shudders* Kyle Lose-ma?

Just for discussion purposes, no need to rehash the trade.  Just curious if anyone has any names they think we should target.

I think the most obvious outcome is something like D. Wright as a buyout +complaints from out FO about bot being able to use it. 

I guess insiders are welcome to join in.  Just figured it'd be tough to differentiate opinion vs 'inside-ing'.  🙄

Ayton can't be a TPE target since he makes more than $25M.

The other Bogdanovic works but at $20M I think that is highly unlikely since it puts us right back in the tax.

I thought Kuzma was opting out of his deal and was a FA.  If so, then we only have the MLE not the TPE to sign FAs.

Someone like Delon Wright as an alternative to a buyout seems perfect.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

We can trade for Delon and his $8 million and send a protected 2nd to Wiz, leaving us with $17 million of the TPE to use later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, AHF said:

Ayton can't be a TPE target since he makes more than $25M.

The other Bogdanovic works but at $20M I think that is highly unlikely since it puts us right back in the tax.

But one of Hunter or Capela will probably get traded in a separate deal right?

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

But one of Hunter or Capela will probably get traded in a separate deal right?

Maybe.  I've got no clue.  If they do, then that separate deal would obviously impact this (or at least could) but without knowing what that deal is I could only speculate.  For example, if we dumped Capela's salary like we dumped JC's then we would have enough space under the tax line that you could absolutely add $20M to the roster without any issues.  But if we traded Capela and other salary for Ayton, we might increase our total salary number making it even less likely (in my eyes) that we would be able to fully utilize the $25M TPE.  

We can always trade salary for salary in a big deal and as long as we aren't adding a ton then we could make a big splashy move for an Ayton, KAT, Gobert, etc. without putting us in the tax.  I'm skeptical that will happen but we'll see.  The summer is just starting and FA hasn't even opened yet.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

Maybe.  I've got no clue.  If they do, then that separate deal would obviously impact this (or at least could) but without knowing what that deal is I could only speculate.  For example, if we dumped Capela's salary like we dumped JC's then we would have enough space under the tax line that you could absolutely add $20M to the roster without any issues.  But if we traded Capela and other salary for Ayton, we might increase our total salary number making it even less likely (in my eyes) that we would be able to fully utilize the $25M TPE.  

We can always trade salary for salary in a big deal and as long as we aren't adding a ton then we could make a big splashy move for an Ayton, KAT, Gobert, etc. without putting us in the tax.  I'm skeptical that will happen but we'll see.  The summer is just starting and FA hasn't even opened yet.

One central element you are focusing on is the assumption that the sourced rumors that we WILL pay the tax this year are made up.  In a world where we pay the tax you would be willing to trade for Ayton using actual players AND absorb some other contracts.  A lot more deals are possible if we go into the tax.  

I’d be happy to take on Bojan or Delon.  Delon would have helped defend White and Brogdon.  Bojan, Bogi, Griffin, and Lopez (hehe) would really spread the court out.  If we send out Capela to a team that can absorb part of his deal (Houston), we can get creative.

• Like 2

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

One central element you are focusing on is the assumption that the sourced rumors that we WILL pay the tax this year are made up.  In a world where we pay the tax you would be willing to trade for Ayton using actual players AND absorb some other contracts.  A lot more deals are possible if we go into the tax.  

You are correct.  That is my assumption.  If we live in a world where the Hawks pay the tax this year, I'll tip my cap and fully admit I was wrong.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We can trade for Delon and his $8 million and send a protected 2nd to Wiz, leaving us with $17 million of the TPE to use later.

You don’t have to ask if I’m on board with this f&@k yeah I am.  No coincidence Trae, Beal, and Porzingis’ best FG% campaigns of their careers all came alongside Point Diff Delo.  I miss his decision making, floor mapping, and hustle so damn much.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm a huge fan of Wright's and would be all for bringing him back.  I love him as a DJ replacement option in case we need to move him for a big fish.  But the guard room as of now is pretty crowded already.  IIRC, part of the reason Wright left us in the first place is that he was unhappy with his playing time.  I don't see that getting any better on our roster as currently constructed.  BUT, if we do move a guard in a separate deal, then I am all in on Wright... Caruso is another favorite option of mine as well.

And for what it's worth, I don't know if someone like Wright is really the appropriate use for the TPE.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but from my understanding, the TPE is generally used where either 1) the team you're trading with really needs the cap space, so the straight salary dump is the value they're seeking in return on a trade, or 2) you want to sign a free agent but don't have the necessary cap space to sign them outright, so you use the TPE as part of a sign & trade (along with other assets) so that you can get them on the books.  Washington isn't hurting as far as the salary cap goes, and I don't see them too concerned about freeing up extra money to go after big money free agents.  In other words, draft compensation is the value they're after, not the cap space.  I don't think they would care if we use the TPE, or if we send out matching short-term salary (Gay + Vit).  If that's the case, then probably just better to save the TPE in that case?

• Thanks 1

There is almost no one that may be available for 20+ mil to use the TPE on, so it will likely used on multiple players. 
I tried finding someone on another thread and Andrew Wiggins was the only maybe player if GSW were desperate to lower their tax bill. 

• Like 1

i Feel like it’s going to be challenging to find anyone with much value that we’d be able to acquire for more than the TPE and some kind of light draft (SRP) compensation. 

Not sure the magic want to swing this, but I’d love to take a look at Jonathan Isaac if the magic are looking to move on. If he gets right? Not sure there is a better fit next to OO. If not? He is non guaranteed next year and could be a useful trade piece at the all star break.

Taurean prince would also be of interest. 

Edited by h4wkfan
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

There is almost no one that may be available for 20+ mil to use the TPE on, so it will likely used on multiple players. 
I tried finding someone on another thread and Andrew Wiggins was the only maybe player if GSW were desperate to lower their tax bill. 

I think we have to also look at actual free agents to get a full list of possible targets.  Maybe you sign a guy for $15M as a sign and trade.  

One question I just started thinking about is will this be a down market in terms of salaries for FA?  So few teams have space or MLE.  Other teams are getting mindful of the impacts of 1st and 2nd apron.  Will there be more bargains?  

• Like 1