• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Can we get Magloire without giving up Al or JC?

Diesel

i've wanted magloire for a while. and i never thought i'd be saying this-but if we are having a winning season with al putting up the great numbers as he's been of recent, i would consider putting marvin on the trading block. i do believe that he may someday be a superstar-but al is doing great things as well...his shooting has been looking really well, which is something we also like about marvin. any other thoughts about a marv-magloire trade with fillers from each in the mix?

I'm not completely sold on Magloirre. I think his talent is overrated, he looked better when 100% healthy, which was almost rare, and playing with Baron Davis. What center wouldn't look better playing with Baron Davis? Not only that, Magloirre has his heart in Canada. Would moving to Atlanta move him close enough to his homeland or change his attitude?

• Premium Member

Quote:

i think we should all first stop and ask ourselves if any of us think that zaza will turn out to be a better center than magloire..i know we've only seen 5 games from him, but 4 of those five have been great.

Knight believes Zaza could play some 4, so having both wouldn't hinder the Hawks IMO.

I do agree that if Zaza continues to play well, there's no need to offer more than Harrington+filler for Magloire (who probably wouldn't want to be here anyway).

I still think Nene+Najera for Harrington+Batista would be a good trade.

• Premium Member

I think Zaza can prolly give us more than Magloire would. I think Al is fine as SF/PF.. IN fact, when Al is hitting his 22 ppg/8 rpg, I think there will be no trade proposals from Hawks fans for Al. Especially not ones for first rounders or for Centers who will not improve us significantly.

Quote:

I still think Nene+Najera for Harrington+Batista would be a good trade.

Come on man.. What has Nene done?

• Premium Member

Quote:

Al is hitting his 22 ppg/8 rpg

He might score 22ppg with poor efficiency, but 8 rebounds a game? Please. He grabbed less than 8 rebounds in 62% of his games last year. Did he suddenly grow two inches taller?

Quote:

Come on man.. What has Nene done?

What has Harrington done? He's a tweener who can't rebound, block shots, or defend.

Quote:

What has Harrington done? He's a tweener who can't rebound, block shots, or defend.

its true that he doesnt have much defense-but his offensive inside-out game has been keeping us in ball games. especially if players really start respecting his game and draws double teams, we've got salim and jj to be open for 3's. i would really like to keep al if possible. if we sign al to an extension, would we be able to just flat out sign nene in the offseason?

• Premium Member

Quote:

its true that he doesnt have much defense-but his offensive inside-out game has been keeping us in ball games.

Dwight Howard dominated the Hawks in the first half. Harrington works at SF, where he creates mismatches, but then what do you do with Marvin?

Quote:

i would really like to keep al if possible. if we sign al to an extension, would we be able to just flat out sign nene in the offseason?

Yes, but again, what happens to Marvin? The Hawks need a post presence. Al Harrington isn't a post presence.

• Premium Member

If we were a defensive team, i would be concerned about Al's ability to block shots and his defense. But we're not defensive... We're offensive.. Therefore, Al's ability to play Low post/Midrange is much more valuable to us. Think about it.. What other player do we have who can play both Midrange and Low post?? NONE.

You are quick to suggest trading Al for Nene.. who is an antioffensive player. And really, when you delve into his numbers, you should be afraid.

Playing 32.5 mpg, he only blocked 0.53 shots?

Playing 32.5 mpg, he only grabbed 6.5 rpg?

And of course, you know he doesn't score unless it's a dunk or an easy layup...

NO...

Keep Al.

If Nene wants to be here, we can persue him in the offseason... However, I wouldn't give up our best and most consistent scorer for that!

• Premium Member

Quote:

Therefore, Al's ability to play Low post/Midrange is much more valuable to us. Think about it.. What other player do we have who can play both Midrange and Low post?? NONE.

We'll leave Nene's attributes for another time, but you act as if teams are threatened by Harrington in the low post.

They're not.

If he can continue to shoot well from the outside, he's going to have a good offensive season. But he'll continue to get outrebounded and outhustled down low.

He's a SF. This team doesn't need a "decent" SF long-term. Sure, keep him through the season if a good trade doesn't come along, but signing him to an extension when you already have FOUR players who could start at SF doesn't make any sense.

You also forget that New Orleans and Chicago, both of whom have plenty of cap space next year, will be looking to steal Harrington away. He won't come cheap, which is why you trade him for a big man with potential.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Playing 32.5 mpg, he only grabbed 6.5 rpg?

As for Nene, he improved last year BTW. He grabbed 6 rebounds in 24 minutes, playing next to two players who are better rebounders than just about anyone on the Hawks.

His per40's project to 16/10/1.5 in the West at the age of 22.

Quote:

His per40's project to 16/10/1.5 in the West at the age of 22.

im sure zaza's per 40 are about the same and hes 21. im not saying im against getting nene...him and zaza would create a strong center tandem throughout the whole game...i just dont know about giving up al with what he has been doing.

• Premium Member

Quote:

you act as if teams are threatened by Harrington in the low post.

Don't you think it's good to have at least 1 player who can get the ball in the post and score? I mean damn H... Make it easy for the opposing teams to defend us.... Basketball is about FG%. If you make a team go outside for all of their shots, you will easily defeat them, unless they are a jaugarnaut like Seattle was this past season. However, you can't win without interior scoring. Al is our only consistent interior scoring threat.

I think that speaks for itself.

Quote:

ou also forget that New Orleans and Chicago, both of whom have plenty of cap space next year, will be looking to steal Harrington away. He won't come cheap, which is why you trade him for a big man with potential.

Again, I don't believe they will be looking to pay much more for a Sf/PF than we are. If so.. So be it.. let him go... Then When all of Chicago's free agents come around, we can pick them off one by one... I mean, I would love to have Hinrich...

The other thing is that Al choose us. I believe as long as we're fair with him, he will want to stay!

• Premium Member

If you took Per 40 projections, I could make Batman look like Shaq! The point is that for his career, with more minutes than 26, Nene' is just a 6.5 rpg player... There's not a comparison here...We don't give up our best player for a guy who MIGHT rebound better in a different setting?? If that's the case, I say we keep Al and go after some of these second tier guys like Chris Wilcox or Ely... Somebody who won't cost us so much in terms of talent!