• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Golden State a must win game?

Hawkzzz21

No one ever wants to say the first game of the season is a must win game. However, I think this is a good match up for us. Warriors are injured, and Magette might not be playing for the Clippers. We have a chance to take advantage of some injuries. I realize we have our own concerns in this area too.

Durability is a concern heading into opener

Contra Costa Times

October 30, 2005

• Injuries, illness and other circumstances have slowed the Warriors' ability to prepare adequately

OAKLAND -- Warriors coach Mike Montgomery's plan was to start the key players off slow.

The first couple of preseason games, they would play about 25 minutes or so. As the preseason progressed, their minutes would increase. By the preseason finale, which was Thursday in Phoenix, the regulars would be up to 35 minutes.

But injuries, illnesses and circumstances foiled that plan, leaving Montgomery a bit concerned heading into Wednesday's regular-season opener. The starting five has only been together for 21/2 of the seven games, with only forward Mike Dunleavy playing in each game.

Guard Jason Richardson missed half of the second game vs. the Los Angeles Lakers in Hawaii and the game at Sacramento for personal reasons. Center Adonal Foyle missed the last three preseason games because of a sore left knee. Forward Troy Murphy missed two games because of the stomach flu. Point guard Baron Davis has been on a pitch count all preseason for fear of injury and missed the Los Angeles Clippers game in Montana to rest his ailing body.

"We're not as healthy as we'd like to be," Montgomery said. "As a result of not being able to push in game shape we're probably not in the shape we'd like to be.

"I would've liked to build the minutes up. ... Obviously, we weren't able to do that."

Now Montgomery is worried the top players won't be ready to sustain a high level of play. There were so many flashes of dominance in the preseason. There were times the Warriors looked like world-beaters against their opponents' best players.

But they were consistently stunted by fatigue and lost a lot of leads. Either the exhausted regulars gave up a run with their defensive lapses and poor shot selection, or the second unit failed to maintain the momentum.

Montgomery has said he doesn't want to do the wholesale substitution thing. Instead he wants to sprinkle in reserves with the regulars. But he's worried he won't have a choice.

"Right now," Montgomery said, "I don't know if your core guys can go 38-40 minutes."

Diogu update

Rookie forward Ike Diogu had his eye on Nov. 2. He wanted to be back from his broken left hand by the opener. But while X-rays taken Friday revealed progress, Diogu still has a ways to go before he'll see game action.

"It's steal really swollen," said Diogu, who added he has another X-ray scheduled for Friday. "It's not as bad as it was."

Diogu, who is still wearing a soft cast, has been running and shooting on the side. At Saturday's practice, he worked on his bank shot from the left side of the paint, though he caught and shot the ball with just the right hand, as he still can't put pressure on his left hand.

"He's going to be re-evaluated Monday," Montgomery said. "I don't think they'll let him do much. As far as getting on the floor and actually playing, I'd say two weeks. Any sooner would be a bonus."

Even after he's able to practice, Diogu will still need some practice time to get back in the flow. So if Montgomery's two weeks guess is right, Diogu could make his debut during the Warriors' second homestand -- a two-gamer against Chicago (Nov. 14) and Milwaukee (Nov. 16) -- or on the following two-game road trip at Portland and at the Los Angeles Clippers.

If the preseason was any indication, the Warriors could sure use his interior presence.

"If we put him out there, he's got to know where he needs to be," Montgomery said. "He's got to get in game shape. He's been running, but he's got to get in shape.

"We're a little bit light on big guys," he added. "So Ike gives you a little different flavor there as far as a guy that's a big physical guy. ... If he comes along, I think he can contribute. It's just a question of how fast he can adapt to the NBA game."

Tip-ins

Rookie point guard Aaron Miles hasn't been told officially he's on the team. But he hasn't been cut yet. "They said this is our team," Miles said. "I'm still here. It's just a blessing." ... Tickets are still available for the season opener against the Atlanta Hawks. More information is available on www.warriors.com.

Yahoo has their starting 5 as:

PG Baron Davis

SG Jason Richardson

SF Mike Dunleavy

PF Ike Digou

C Troy Murphy

With their injuries, this lineup might look a lot different. Not to mention Yahoo has our lineup as:

PG Tyrone Lue

SG Joe Johnson

SF Josh Smith

PF Al Harrington

C Zaza Pachulia

I'm not sure Murphy would start over Foyle at Center. Either way, they don't really have a team with size. I think we match up with them well.

Losing this game, would be a rotten way to start. Especially if a couple of their starters don't play.

Box score from our last meeting. It was in Atlanta.

Golden State 105, Atlanta 92

Preview - Box Score - Recap

1 2 3 4 Total

Golden State 28 26 36 15 105 Final

Atlanta 26 14 25 27 92

Golden State

Name Min FG 3Pt FT Off Reb Ast TO Stl Blk PF Pts

M. Dunleavy 34 7-15 6-7 2-2 2 5 4 1 1 0 2 22

T. Murphy 25 4-11 1-1 0-0 7 15 3 2 1 1 0 9

A. Foyle 30 3-9 0-0 0-0 4 9 0 0 0 3 2 6

D. Fisher 38 6-12 3-6 0-0 1 8 4 4 0 0 0 15

J. Richardson 36 9-16 2-5 2-3 2 3 4 2 3 1 2 22

B. Davis 34 7-17 6-10 0-0 0 4 8 1 1 0 4 20

A. Biedrins 18 1-1 0-0 1-4 0 2 0 0 1 2 3 3

M. Pietrus 19 3-10 0-3 2-3 1 2 2 1 2 0 3 8

Z. Cabarkapa 3 0-1 0-0 0-0 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 0

N. Tskitishvili 3 0-2 0-1 0-0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0

Name Min FG 3Pt FT Off Reb Ast TO Stl Blk PF Pts

J. Smith 26 2-4 0-0 2-2 2 6 3 5 2 6 1 6

A. Harrington 35 8-17 0-0 1-2 2 7 3 1 3 2 3 17

O. Ekezie 17 2-5 0-0 0-0 0 4 1 0 0 3 2 4

T. Lue 27 4-11 0-3 0-0 0 1 4 1 2 0 0 8

J. Childress 37 7-15 0-1 4-4 2 11 3 0 0 0 3 18

P. Drobnjak 17 4-11 0-1 0-0 3 8 1 2 0 0 1 8

T. Gugliotta 25 5-8 0-0 2-2 1 2 1 1 0 1 2 12

D. Smith 17 1-3 1-2 4-6 0 3 2 1 0 0 0 7

R. Ivey 15 2-5 0-0 0-0 0 3 5 0 1 0 1 4

B. Diaw 13 2-4 0-1 0-0 0 1 1 2 2 0 0 4

J. Collier 6 2-3 0-0 0-0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 4

M. Stewart 4 0-1 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Totals 239 39-87 1-8 13-16 11 47 24 13 10 12 13 92

yahoo! knows nothing of our team

our starting 5 won't have lue in it unless someone is injured

jj has said he's a pg

bk has said jj's a pg

jj played pg in every preseason game he was in

lue has said he's one of the top 3 BACKUP pgs

i just hate that i have to wait until jj starts 10 games at pg before i can use him as my pg on my yahoo fantasy team cause yahoo has their heads up their asses

um...so you're saying to have Batista guard him...or not? I wasn't quite sure.

Put Al (or perhaps Marvin) on him. someone that will play a little physical but stick with him as he moves on the perimeter (he's not that slick or fast, but you can't just let him roam out there...something that smoove has a tendency to do).

JJ vs. Baron should be interesting.

I'll miss the 'french connection' that we had last year with Pietrus vs Diaw; oh well.

JSmoove should not cover Richardson either...thinking that this might be a game where matchups determine pt.

Covering Murphy should be interesting. Ideally, Batista would get a decent amount of pt doing this. Play him fundamental and you'll be ok.