• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Wednesday Insider

Has Pat Riley blown

it in Miami?

by Chad Ford

Send an Email to Chad Ford

Also Below: Williams, Oakley left on the curb | Redd, Wang weave complicated web in Dallas | Payton, Davis end mini-holdouts | Irrational exuberance | Peep Show

NBA Free Agent Watch

Updated NBA Depth Charts

You can say reload in Miami (or lock and load for that matter), but don't say rebuilding in front of Pat Riley.

"I hate the word rebuilding because I have to fight off these thought processes of it from other people," Riley told the Sun Sentinel this weekend. "We are in a natural process of rebuilding and, next year, reloading."

The days of Alonzo Mourning ruling the middle are essentially finished. Brian Grant's confidence has fallen and he can't seem to get it back up. Eddie Jones should never be the No. 1 option on offense. And Riley's new starting point guard, Travis Best, just pulled up lame.

But Riley still believes that he has "something special" in Miami.

"I've been around sports for too long to ever think that a team you coach can't do something special," Riley told the Sun-Sentinel this weekend. "You take a look at the Carolina Hurricanes [in last season's Stanley Cup Finals]; you just don't know. You take a look at teams that can be young and come out of nowhere like Orlando did two years ago. All prognosticators out there will convince these young players that they're not good enough and will convince the team that it's not good enough."

Does Riley really believe that? Over the last few weeks, Riley has been pondering making either a free-agent acquisition or a trade in an effort to jump start the rebuilding process this season.

It's a difficult decision for Riley. With Mourning probably out of the picture for good, Riley knows that if he sticks to the plan, he'll have roughly $10 million in cap room to lure a top-flight free agent down south next summer. Snagging Tim Duncan is unlikely, but big men like Michael Olowokandi, Brad Miller, Elden Campbell and Rasho Nesterovic will be looking for new homes. And top-flight point guards like Jason Kidd and Gary Payton will be available. Riley has the weather, the rep and a lifetime supply of hair gel, but does he have a team worth joining?

Even if the Heat acquire a top free agent next summer, they still come up short in the long run. The team will have only five players (including next year's first round pick) under contract next season. If they blow all of their dough on a free agent, they'll still have six rosters spots to fill with minimal cash. The Heat's problem has been their refusal to develop or even acquire young players. They've had their chances. They were in serious negotiations with Wang Zhizhi and Loren Woods over the last few weeks. But Riley's indecision cost the team a shot of signing either player on the cheap.

Riley has also had calls about both Jones and Grant. Chicago Tribune columnist Sam Smith wrote in today's editions that a Grant-for-Eddie Robinson, Jamal Crawford, Marcus Fizer and Dalibor Bagaric trade makes a whole lot of sense for both teams. The Heat, by moving a player like Grant now, could infuse the team with some youth and even increase their cap room room for next summer. The Bulls, who are long on energy and athleticism and short on experience, could benefit from having a a team player like Grant on board.

If Miami does nothing, and indications all point in that direction, the Heat could be in for another long season and a rude awakening in July. Without a low-post presence, a staple of Riley teams his whole career, Riley must change his offensive philosophy if the Heat are to survive.

"Coaching Kareem [Abdul-Jabbar] and coaching Patrick Ewing and coaching Zo, they're almost like huge stop signs," Riley said on media day. "The more you depend on the greatness of an anchor player in the post, they sometimes paralyze the innovativeness of other players. . .There will be no deferring this year. I think they'll absolutely feel unencumbered."

If the Heat fall back into the lottery, the good news is that they'll have a good shot at LeBron James. But they can probably kiss the likes of Kidd, Payton and Jermaine O'Neal goodbye. Good free agents want to play for good teams. For once, that's no longer synonymous with Riley.

Help for Bulls is out there

Sam Smith / Chicago Tribune

Optimism good, but realism says Heat faces task

Jeff Miller / Miami Herald

Grant solves his crisis of confidence

Ira Winderman / South Florida Sun-Sentinel

With Mourning out, Heat must change ways

Ira Winderman / South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Best injured at first practice

Israel Gutierrez / Miami Herald

Williams, Oakley left on the curb

Rashard Lewis got his big deal. So did Bonzi Wells. Michael Redd and Wang Zhizhi are on their way. Even Brian Skinner, Corie Blount, Calbert Cheaney and an 83-year-old Kevin Willis got theirs. But as of late Monday night, over 70 veteran free agents remain unsigned. Insider talked to several GM's to get the lowdown on why several top veterans are still standing in the unemployment line.

Rod Strickland spent some time being wooed by the Cavs and Pacers, but they've since gone in different directions. Strickland turned down an offer from both the Cavs and the Heat in search of a more lucrative one-year deal. The latest has him possibly surfacing in Minnesota now that it looks like Terrell Brandon is a long way off from being healthy. According to one GM, Strickland's demands are unrealistic. "I think he proved he could still play last season, but c'mon, no one is handing out guaranteed contracts at this point. I think he'll be lucky to get the veteran's minimum for one year." What's the issue? "Attitude, age and money. He's had enough problems over his career that you worry about giving him any type of guarantees. He's also 36 years old. And finally, you just just don't know what the cap is going to be next summer. Why commit to a guy like Rod?"

Walt Williams shot 42 percent from beyond the arc last season but he's still struggling to find a home. He spent some time talking to the Sonics and Mavs this summer, but both teams seem to be headed in different directions. The Knicks, Blazers and T-Wolves have all shown interest, but all three teams have crowded rosters. Right now, Williams is content to sit at home and wait for an injury before committing to a team. "He really should have a job," another GM told Insider. "He shoots the ball so well, has veteran experience and has decent size at the position. At this point he should be a pretty good bargain. Unless his agent is holding out for a multi-year deal, he'll find a home. I think it's more about finding the right spot with a playoff caliber team. He'd be a really good fit in Miami. They need the shooting."

Charles Oakley's poor performance on and off the court last season killed his value. The Wizards have shown some interest and expected him to be in camp, but Oakley opted to stay in Chicago instead. Oakley spent the summer working out at Hoops with Michael Jordan. According to sources at Hoops, he looked fantastic and is in great shape. "I'm working out every day, and I'm ready to rock and roll," Oakley told the Chicago Sun Times. "I'm down to 240 pounds, and I've gotten calls from several teams. Hopefully, I'll get something done within the next couple of weeks. I'd love to play for a strong team like the Lakers or an up-and-coming team like the Washington Wizards." Will Oakley get another shot? "He has plenty of offers for the veteran's minimum," one GM said. "He's just taking his time, dragging his feet, trying to keep out of training camp as long as possible. Once the preseason gets underway, he'll show up. Veterans don't like all of the wind sprints."

Tim Hardaway says he still has fuel left in his tank, but so far, he can't get anyone to take him on a test drive. Last season, Hardaway thought he had finally found his resting place in Dallas. But a mid-season trade to the Nuggets derailed everything. Hardaway showed he still had some sizzle last season. He had 19 games last season in whichj he scored 15 or more points despite averaging just 23 minutes a game. With teams like the T-Wolves, Knicks, Hawks, Bulls and Raptors looking for additional help at the point, the jobs should be there. However, one GM isn't so sure. "I wouldn't risk it. I love Timmy but he shoots too much and has lost much of his quickness. I think at this point he's kind of an undersized two [guard] and that isn't what anyone's looking for."

Voshon Lenard is another sharpshooter who has mysteriously disappeared. Lenard averaged 11.5 ppg last season and at 29 still has plenty of legs left. He had 10 games last season in which he scored 20 points or more and averaged an impressive 23.4 ppg per 48 minutes played. "I can't believe he doesn't have a job," one GM said. "With the new rules lots of teams need shooters and Lenard may be the best one out there."

Jimmy Jackson averaged 10.7 ppg and 5.3 rpg last season but he's still having a tough time beating the rap that he's a malcontent. He didn't have a problem with Pat Riley last season, but several teams see Riley's unwillingness to re-sign Jackson as a sign. "I think his rep is still hurting him," another GM said. "He can score, but can he really fit into a role with a team. At this point, no one is bringing him into start. If Jackson is resigned to that, he'll probably get picked up."

Money squeeze affects Oakley

Lacy J. Banks / Chicago Sun-Times

Redd, Wang weave complicated web in Dallas

When will we know whether the Mavs are going to match Wang Zhizhi's three-year, $6.5 million offer sheet from the Clippers? It could be awhile.

Dallas' three-year, $12 million offer to Michael Redd complicates things in the short term. "There's a possibility the Michael Redd situation comes into play a little there," coach Don Nelson admitted. "We have 15 days, so we're not going to be in a hurry to decide."

But Redd shouldn't be a factor for long. Bucks GM Ernie Grunfeld told Insider on Tuesday morning, before he actually received the official offer sheet, that the team was still determined to match any offer for Redd.

"We're still very committed to keeping Michael," Grunfeld told Insider.

While luxury-tax concerns will certainly be an issue, the Bucks have known all summer that this was a possibility and are apparently ready to take the hit.

If the Bucks do step to the plate, the Mavs are left with an interesting dilemma with Wang. Apparently, as late as Monday, the team wasn't fully aware of the ramifications surrounding Wang's offer sheet. Sign-and-trades are now out of the question. If the Mavs match, he can't be traded to the Clippers for one year. He can't be moved anywhere until Dec. 15th and then Wang must approve any trade for one year.

The money won't be enough to scare Cuban, but the delicate relationship with the Chinese Basketball Association might. Could this be yet another offseason coup for the Clippers? With Michael Olowokandi threatening to leave next season and the Clippers thin in the frontcourt as it is, Zhizhi has lots of upside and comes at a Donald Sterling friendly price.

"I like his size and his ability to shoot the ball from the outside," Elgin Baylor told the L.A. Times. "I saw him posting up [in the Long Beach summer league] and I feel he has the potential to be a good low-post player."

Mavs hope to see Redd

Jodie Valade / Dallas Morning News

Dallas signs Bucks guard to offer sheet

Tom Enlund / Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Clippers Make a Play for Mavericks' Wang

Elliott Teaford / Los Angeles Times

Payton, Davis end mini-holdouts

So much for Gary Payton's big holdout statement.

Payton waltzed into the Sonics' practice facility at 6:30 Tuesday evening, ending his holdout over a disputed contract extension. After he arrived, Payton didn't want to talk about the whole mess.

"I don't want to get into that [extension]," Payton told the Tacoma Tribune. "That is not the discussion right now. The discussion is that I am back. I am good now. I got my state of mind right. I didn't want to come in here and mess up anything. So I came in when I felt it was the right time to play basketball. . . I am going to honor my contract out and that is what I am going to do."

Payton's agent, Aaron Goodwin, has said that if Payton did not get a contract extension, he would not re-sign with the Sonics as a free agent next summer.

"I'm not commenting on that neither," Payton said. "That is not what's going on. We got a lot of things to work out. That is not true. Anything can happen. Right now I am trying to play basketball. Whenever that time comes it will come."

Ricky Davis' arrival in Cleveland was a bit more laughable. According to Davis, his mini-holdout was a misunderstanding.

"I didn't know [Monday] was media day," Davis told the Morning Journal. "I thought it was [yesterday]. It's all over and done with.

"I hope people don't say, 'He did that because he got paid.' I want to be here and be a part of this organization."

Still, GM Jim Paxson thought Davis' excuse was shady. "I asked if he was aware of the physicals, media day and the meeting," Paxson said. "He said he was and that he'd be here."

"It's disappointing. We have both guys on the cover of our media guide. Both guys are out there competing [in practice]. We'll take the appropriate action and move forward. I don't anticipate that it's going to be an issue."

Bland old Andre Miller doesn't look too shabby now . . .

Better late than never - Payton in camp

Frank Hughes / Tacoma News Tribune

Davis reports, says he's happy with Cavs

Bob Finnan / Willoughby News-Herald

Irrational exuberance

Oct. 1st has got to be the best day of the year for 28 NBA teams. New shoes, school clothes without the stains, old friends, new friends and dreams of beating the Lakers.

Some teams have a more realistic shot than others. But you've got to love the enthusiasm. In a little piece inspired by Alan Greenspan, here's a look at a few teams who might just be getting a little carried away.

Let's start with my favorite, the Warriors . . .

"It's really a good feeling to go into camp and believe. I really believe this: I can praise him [Musselman] today and know at the All-Star break I'm going to praise him and I'm going to praise him at the end of the year. I feel terrific about Eric and the coaches. It's really a good feeling to sit in the general manager's chair. And that's not pointing fingers at anybody. You make changes because that's what's called for after evaluating a situation. We've done that. That whole process is difficult if you care about people. With that said, I'm really, really excited. I can't wait." — Warriors GM Garry St. Jean to the Contra Costa Times

Rockets owner Les Alexander has also lost his mind . . .

"I love the team. I think this is one of the great teams ever assembled. I swear I believe that. I think we have unbelievable talent. We're young. We're a little immature in terms of experience on the court. We have a great center now, and [Kelvin] Cato's been playing great at Westside. We have a great point guard [steve Francis]. Cuttino [Mobley] is a great two. We have three guys competing at the four position. We made this team to be long and lanky and can shoot."

Kelvin Cato starting on one of the greatest teams ever assembled? Knicks guard Allan Houston offered this nugget to the N.Y. Daily News before skipping out on the first day of practice for personal reasons.

"I believe this is a playoff team. I really believe in my six years here, it comes down to you have to have good enough players. It comes down to how bad you really want it, and that will be seen as we go through camp and we go through the start of the season. How bad a taste do we still have in our mouths from last year? That will show. If it really hurt [to] have to have that kind of summer, you will see it."

St. Jean says all the right pieces are finally in place

Matt Steinmetz / Contra Costa Times

Alexander goes gaga over Rockets' talent

Jonathan Feigen / Houston Chronicle

Houston: We'll make playoffs

Frank Isola / New York Daily News

Peep Show

Kings: Doug Christie now admits that his nerves got the best of him during his dismal 2-for-11 Game 7 performance during the Lakers last spring. "You know, I was scared to death," he told the Sacramento Bee. "I let the whole situation, all the hype, get to me. But that's OK because I can learn from it. I can look back on that game, on that shot, and realize that if the same situation arises, I'll shoot the same way. But I'll probably take a deep breath, be calmer. I was just too amped up. Coach can tell you to 'Stay calm, stay calm,' but until you experience it, you don't understand, and I'd never been there before. Next time, I'll play like it's just another game."

Jazz: The team officially signed Mark Jackson Tuesday night. "We were hoping this would fall into place," GM Kevin O'Connor told the Salt Lake Tribune. "It's a good feeling. If this had happened two months ago, there would have been a lot of other people vying for his services. But they have all filled their slots."

Hawks: Jason Terry and Hawks executive vice president/general manager Pete Babcock believe in a long-term relationship, but plans for a contract extension are unofficially on hold. "Either way," Terry told the Atlanta Journal Constitution, "I want to be with this organization and these players, and whether we do it now or later on, that doesn't change things." "It's going to be there for Jason," Babcock said of the money. "I told him that. If he wants it now, we can build in options and things. But if he waits and has a good year, he will get what he wants."

Celtics: Vin Baker sprained his left pinkie Tuesday, setting off a waive of "Here we go again panic." "When [trainer]Ed [Lacerte] said, 'We want to get an X-ray,' guys were out there playing," Baker told the Boston Globe. "I just had to get back out there. I just wanted to be a part of it. I don't want any setbacks. We've been working too hard the last two months." . . . Shammond Williams is making a good first impression. "I am shocked at how good of a 3-point shooter he is," coach Jim O'Brien told the Boston Herald. "I hesitate to say he's a great shooter, but he might be a great shooter."

Rockets: Mo Taylor injured his Achilles' tendon again on Tuesday, causing coach Rudy Tomjanovich's heart to skip a beat. "He just aggravated the Achilles, but that's going to happen," trainer Keith Jones told the Houston Chronicle. "I told him, 'You're going to get that a few more times. It's scar tissue. You have to break that up.' But he'll probably be back in the morning."

Raptors: Jerome Williams is out for at least two weeks with a strained left hamstring suffered in a pickup game last week. "Ah, it's just a flesh wound, I'll be back soon," Williams told the Toronto Star. Coach Lenny Wilkens, who lauded Williams before camp began for his improved play at the end of last season, said it wouldn't be difficult to work Williams back into the rotation when he gets healthy. "Right now, it's not a huge concern because we know the guy," said the coach. "I have some new things to put in [offensively and defensively] but we're going to save those and not put them in until the end of the preseason and hopefully he'll be ready to go then."

Mavs: Shawn Bradley remains the most talked-about Maverick after a summer dedicated to improving strength and conditioning. Bradley registered career-lows across the board last season, and Don Nelson challenged the 7-foot-6 center to return anew. "He's been here every day," Nelson told the Dallas Morning News. "He's in the best shape he's ever been in."

Cavs: John Lucas experimented with Darius Miles running the point Tuesday. He also had Miles, Ricky Davis and Dajuan Wagner on the court at the same time. "It will present a lot of problems to teams," Davis told the Morning Journal. "That's three people who can score, four counting Z [center Zydrunas Ilgauskas]." Lucas said he wasn't surprised by Miles' ball-handling. "He can really handle the basketball," Lucas said. "He played the point today for all of practice. His ability to bring it up [the court] is what makes him such a factor."

Knicks: With Latrell Sprewell and Lavor Postell out six weeks, the Knicks are considering signing Miami's Jimmy Jackson, the N.Y. Post reported. Scott Burrell is also a candidate.

Nuggets, Pistons: GM Joe Dumars tried to explain why the team traded away promising prospect Rodney White. "When you have a young talent like that," Dumars told the Detroit News, "either you develop him, give him some minutes and you suffer through the growing pains with him. Or, the kid has to be willing to be patient and wait his turn. He was in a situation where he didn't really want to wait. He wanted to be on the floor and play. We were in a situation where we have a competitive team." . . . The Pistons may not be done dealing. They're talking to the Mavs, Rockets and Spurs about a trade that would ship newly acquired Mengke Bateer out of town.

Christie admits it now -- 'I was scared to death'

Ailene Voisin / Sacramento Bee

O'Connor Hits His 'Mark'

Phil Miller / Salt Lake Tribune

Contract extension deferred for Terry

Jeffrey Denberg / Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Baker gets cooking

Shira Springer / Boston Globe

Williams fitting in with C's

Steve Bulpett / Boston Herald

Missing season hard for Taylor

Jonathan Feigen / Houston Chronicle