• Raised $390 of $700 target

Insider Predictions for the East

Eastern Conference predictions

By Terry Brown

Tuesday, October 8 Updated 11:06 AM EST

1. New Jersey Nets

Projected Record: 53-29

2002 Record: 52-30 (No. 1)

Time to take the lampshade off and find out if the Nets were the life of the party in the Eastern Conference last season or just another joke. Over the last three seasons, the EC Finals rep has won three of 15 games. So we are left wondering whether Jason Kidd was last year's MVP or head trainer Tim Walsh. And, what makes the Nets any different, even with the additions of Dikembe Mutombo and Rodney Rogers, than the 1999 Knicks or 2000 Pacers or 2001 Sixers. If nothing, is it really any better to be the worst of the best than the best of the worst when no one is going to remember your name, anyway. And that's the good news. If the Nets fail to make it back to the NBA Finals, which they should, it would be the first time in NBA history that a conference has failed to return a team to the Finals for five consecutive seasons. By default or design, the best team in the East has gotten even better. We can only hope it is a good thing.

2. New Orleans Hornets

Projected Record: 50-32

2002 Record: 44-38 (No. 4)

On Oct. 30, 2002, the Hornets end an 82-game road trip on which they won 44 of them. Expect at last one more hurricane near their new home, a few injuries, illnesses or automobile accidents and at least one locker room tirade involving a starter, coach and at least two innocent bystanders. Then see what happens when the most dangerous team in the conference returns intact and realizes that it just got a second chance.

3. Boston Celtics

Projected Record: 46-36

2002 Record: 49-33 (No. 3)

Paul Pierce and Antoine Walker now have all the elbow room any two NBA superstars with matching egos could possibly want. They combined for 432 three-pointers last season and 48.2 points per game. Do I hear 433? Lack of an honest point guard and sixthman will cost the Celtics some regular-season games but Vin Baker, goodbadandotherwise, will balance better in the playoffs. He averaged 14.1 per game last season compared to Tony Battie's 6.9, which happened to be all Boston could muster from any one post player. Lucky for them, Pierce, the most complete player in the game, still plays like he has something to prove. He does.

4. Orlando Magic

Projected Record: 45-37

2002 Record: 44-38 (No. 5)

While the rest of us waited for Grant Hill to heal, Doc Rivers took an orphaned roster to 41 wins his first season to 43 the next to 44 last year without him. Hill or no Hill, this McTeam will continue to get McBetter because of one McGrady. Hill and homecourt will make the difference come playoff time but until then, sit back and watch T-Mac turn this whole thing into a video game.

5. Milwaukee Bucks

Projected Record: 44-38

2002 Record: 41-41 (No. 9)

With Glenn Robinson as the starting small forward two seasons ago, the Bucks won 52 games and came within a game of making the Finals. With Glenn Robinson as the starting small forward last year, the Bucks won 41 wins and didn't even make the playoffs. Second guessers now get a somewhat doubting Tim Thomas, an underpaid Sam Cassell and a coach on the verge of infamy while Ray Allen attempts awe from mere applause. Playoff berths should mean this much to every team.

6. Philadelphia Sixers

Projected Record: 43-39

2002 Record: 43-39 (No. 6)

The Hip Hopera continues, starring Allen Iverson, Larry Brown and a rotating cast of scape goats and stunt doubles with plot twists and 50-point outbursts culminating in a surprise ending you'll never forget but wish you could.

7. Washington Wizards

Projected Record: 42-40 2001 Record: 37-45 (No. 10) Michael Jordan added 114 postseason games worth of experience and two all-star seasons with the acquisitions of Jerry Stackhouse and Bryon Russell. Finally, someone he can talk to past curfew. Good thing. The final few postseason spots will come down to tie breakers, coin flips and rock, paper, scissors. Playoffs begin Oct. 30 for this team.

8. Toronto Raptors

Projected Record: 42-40

2001 Record: 42-40 (No. 7)

No one expected Vince Carter to win the Rookie of the Year Award. No one expected him to make the All-Star team by his second season. And no one expected him to make the All-NBA Second Team by his third. But it came as an even bigger surprise when he scored fewer points and the Raptors won fewer games in his fourth year after signing the biggest contract in franchise history. It's funny how soon fans forget when there are no Frenchmen to leap over. Let's see how high Carter can jump with a chip on his shoulder.

9. Detroit Pistons

Projected Record: 42-40

2002 Record: 50-32 (No. 2)

Jerry Stackhouse was the least likely of superstars but he was, nonetheless, just that. The Pistons climbed out of the rubble last season because there was a player on their team that once challenged a teammate to fight in an airplane a few thousand feet up. That doesn't work for most teams (in fact, it got that player traded to Detroit) but it seems to work, make that, seems to be the only thing that works for the Pistons. Remember when Stackhouse went headline with Grant Hill, challenging the All-NBAer after he left for Orlando. And guess who didn't show up. Ben Wallace, Cliff Robinson and Corliss Williamson remain role players joined by Chauncey Billups and Rip Hamilton. With the game, season or series on the line, close your eyes and pick one to shoot. It really won't matter.

10. Indiana Pacers

Projected Record: 41-41

2001 Record: 42-40 (No. 8)

The Pacers have veterans and youth; big, muscle-bound guys to go with lithe, springy ones; some that can shoot; some that can dunk; some that can dribble; and a coach who hasn't been able to tell the difference since the fans stopped clapping for him. Running 10 deep in talent is supposed to be a good thing. Not here. Not now.

11. Atlanta Hawks

Projected Record: 39-43

2001 Record: 33-49 (No. 12)

Here's your darkhorse, a pass-first jockey away from possibly winning this entire conference. Until then, the frontline of Theo Ratliff, Shareef Abdur-Rahim and Glenn Robinson with Nazr Mohammed in reserve, will win some games by 20, lose some by 20 and come within a bucket or two or three of actually making the playoffs.

12. New York Knicks

Projected Record: 29-53

2002 Record: 30-52 (No. 13)

Antonio McDyess blinked in the bright lights of Phoenix. He's gonna need a white cane, psychiatrist and body cast by the time New York City gets done with him. If Latrell Sprewell doesn't get to him first. The best player on the highest-paid team in the league remains a shooting guard peaking at competent.

13. Chicago Bulls

Projected Record: 28-54

2002 Record: 21-61 (No. 15)

It isn't so much the 66 total wins in four seasons or the fact that Jordan averaged 67 each year in his last three, but the means to the end as Jerry Krause turns to mercenaries to raise his youth. The Bulls should be the most improved team in the conference this year, but this franchise went from rebuilding plan to parable a long time ago.

14. Miami Heat

Projected Record: 27-55

2002 Record: 36-46 (No. 12)

It really isn't fair that Pat Riley's reputation will come down to pingpong balls or that two stand up guys like Eddie Jones and Brian Grant become bad examples of bloated contracts. But give me one wish for this team and it would have nothing to do with any of them.

15. Cleveland Cavaliers

Projected Record: 19-63

2002 Record: 29-53 (No. 14)

This is an AND1 mix tape gone too far. Darius Miles has yet to average double-digits, Dajuan Wagner and to score a single point. The rest of the team will start each game 48.2 points down with the departures of Andre Miller, Lamond Murry and Wesley Person, the top three scorers from a team that won only 29 games in the first place. Does this team come with a halftime show?

• Premium Member

Boston #3? They probably have called Traceman to be their PG by Now. With No PG, Walker and Pierce will go shot Crazy. Also, their direction is questionable? What type of team are they? Last yr they were still a run and press type team. BUt now, they have slow a** Vin Baker... What will they do?

Milwaukee #5? I think Milwaukee will make it in. I even believe that Haslip will be a candidate for Rookie of the yr. BUT #5? More like #8.

Sixers #6? This is a team in disarray. Brown has finally F'd Up. Too much tinkering. He has gone from a team that was Built around Iverson as the scorer and being a great defenisive/rebounding team in the finals. To being a team that was Built around Iverson without the great rebounding last yr. To being a team with very little rebounding and More offense than Iverson. I suspect this team is about to change. Either Brown goes or Iverson goes. Right now, everythings pointing to Iverson going. Can you say Iverson to the first team with a disgruntled Superstar?

Toronto #8? I like the great one but really, he doesn't have a lot to work with. AD/JYD is his front court. They have been seriously depleted. They really don't have the talent to go out and get more depth? Maybe a trade of AD is at hand.

Indiana #10? Please. Injury free, Indy goes #2 or 3.

Detroit #9? OK, this is BS. Just because you like the coach doesn't mean that he has a good team to work with. This team has Clifford Robinson and Halmilton as scorers. It would take Prince Stepping up Real Big for them to have a shot at the playoffs.

Bulls just might make it in.

Also...

How do the Magic get one measly game better with Hill back?

How do the Bucks make their overall roster worse (especially if Redd goes to DAL) and improve as much as they do?

The national media continues to harp on the Hawks PG position, yet completely gives other teams (as Diesel mentioned specifically, the Celtics) as pass on their flaws.

• Premium Member

In reply to:

How do the Magic get one measly game better with Hill back?

I will attempt to answer this.

Hill may be back but...

1. The East is stronger.

2. Orlando now have NO C and Grant is another yr older.

3. Who is to say that Hill and McGrady will blend and not fall out.

In reply to:

How do the Bucks make their overall roster worse (especially if Redd goes to DAL) and improve as much as they do?

My guess on this is that their talent level is decreasing but their Chemistry is getting much much better. Now all that's left to do is trade Cassell and Mason for GP. Seriously though, losing Big Dog, hurt them talent wise, but Chemistry wise, it may help them. Same with Redd. They are losing all of their controversies.

In reply to:

The national media continues to harp on the Hawks PG position, yet completely gives other teams (as Diesel mentioned specifically, the Celtics) as pass on their flaws.

We don't have any National Stars. We haven't had one since Nique. There's nobody who is bold enough to demand TV time. Therefore, they always downtalk the Hawks. Boston has Pierce and Employee #8. What we need is to get a few Hawks into the commercials OR The Hawks need to develop their own Symbol... Like the Falcons and the Dirty Bird or the Falcons and 2 Legit to Quit or the Clippers and their Horns or GreenBay and the Lambau Leap or the Knicks of old and the Chest Bump..... If the Hawks were to start a symbol everyone would get behind it. Maybe if JT popped his collar... Or if Big Dog brought the Bark...

That's it. Barking.

What I see is that he thinks NJ and NO are the two best teams in the EC followed by nine teams who are pretty equal. There are only 7 games separating the number 3 team from the number 11 team and only 3 games separating the number 7 team from the number 11 team. That is parity and that is what I see as well.

He also says that the Hawks are a pass first guy away from possibly winning the whole EC. Translation: If JT surprises the national media and plays well at PG, we could win the EC.

The bottom line is that there are no certainties for any EC team going into this season and that is why I am more excited about this season than I have been about any season since Nique left. I truly feel that this is the best opportunity the Hawks have EVER had to go to the Finals as long as they stay healthy. It may not happen but I think we have a chance.

• 5 months later...
  • Premium Member

I think Detroit fooled a lot of people. I thought losing Stackhouse who seemed like 50% of Detroit's points would make them worse.

I think Indiana also made their come up.

Toronto was disappointing as was the Hawks.