Thoughts on tonight's game

hds428

So much for 'JT can't play D' he had 3 big steals tonight and rained the 3s.

GRob, did'nt score much but man did he rack up the assists, he and Reef got a good thing goin up front.

Dion, quietly had a near double double and flexed a little D himself

Dickau played his role well, 6 pts 6 assists and 3 steals

Hendu, wow! 12 points 2 blocks and 2 steals! And he did it without the goggles! That's the vet leadership we need on the bench from Hendu

Maurice Carter...??? Did I miss something? 8 points in 5 minutes, not much else, but still.

I'm not gonna get too charged up or be too negative on anyone in preseason exhibition games, but tonight was pretty impressive. I'm interested in hearing some thoughts from the rest of you guys, especially the ones in chat and at the game.

I loved it. JT was 5 for 5 from the 3 Stripe. The whole team played well as a unit. Even the bench played good. It is just preseason though. I will be disappointed if we can't come back Thursday and beat those guys bad again. Glad to get the 100 mark. In case you didn't notice at the end of the game. A lot of positive things can be taken from this game.

GRob was everywhere, getting steals, assists, and rebounds. We all know he can score, so I think this was a real good sign.

Hope we can do the chat thing again on Thursday, I had a good time.

Sounded good! I know this is pre-season but, "A win is

a win is a win." I wonder, did we play that well on

defense or was the opponent just not hitting? Couldn't

really tell. Big Dawg didn't score much but added

several assists.

Sounded like Hawks were getting back on defense quickly.

That's good.

Free throws were going in. This is great! Close games

are won or lost here. This game wasn't close, thanks to

a lot of three pointers, but remember the free throws.

They can make the difference, they can mean having a

winning season or not, making the playoffs or not and

even going to the championships!!

Nothing disturbs me more than watching free throws

being missed in a very close game. Hawks sure were

hitting theirs tonight. Keep up the good work.

Go Hawks !!!!

Gray Mule

Right on Nique! I can't believe I left that out, scoring 100 and keeping the opposition at bay is gonna be a major factor for us this year. The chat was alot of fun (except maybe for the your momma kid LOL), and I'm not usually big on doing the chat thing. I'll definitely be in next Thursday, and lookin for ya, hopefully we can get another good bunch in like tonite with Teearress, Hotlantadude, Kudzu and Flava, maybe Dolfan will get in too, he's always got somethin funny to say. I'm lookin forward to it. Gray, good point on the FTs, I like the guys showin aggression and getting rewarded for it, get in on the chat with us next time!

Your guys' Hawks really kicked some butt tonight. I believe the score was 102-75. Wow! I know it is pre-season, but that is an excellent way to start out a season. And looking at the boxscore, Terry, Abdur Rahim and Big Dog had nice contribututions. and if you guys have read my stuff before, you know i admire Dickau's game and his off the court personality. 6 pts., 6 dimes, 3 reb., 3 stl. Pretty good. And you know what many of yu Hawks fans said he couldn't play defense. And these stats were in 21 minutes of play. That is pretty impressive. Go Hawks!(Go Dan!)

Dickau will be fine off the bench but he needs

to cut down on 4 TO's and shoot better.

Good to see JT only had one TO.I have a feeling

this was a more uptempo game if that is the

case only 1 TO is great.IF JT can Give us the 17PPG

7APG 2to 1.8steals we will be good to go=)

Good numbers in limited play for JT and Reef and

what about Dion?

Hey I like Dickau, and he was ok tonight. I think he will improve. The one stat that you probably didn't notice was the turnovers. He had 4 and many of them didn't seemed forced though. He did have one play where he made a behind the back pass that whoooed the crowd. I look for him to play better Thursday, he started out on the wrong foot early in the game.

Dimes, it was kind of hard to gauge for me, the game was only broadcast on the radio. I did hear the crowd get fired up with his behind-the-back, and he showed some D tonight. Wether it was the Jason Terry gamble-in-the-passing-lanes or the Baron Davis lock-your-man-up type D, I don't know. I was a little alarmed at the turnovers, and I also wonder about his ability to beat his man off the dribble. Again, I didn't have the benefit of seeing it, but it was a concern of mine when I did see him play that game at Shaw's this summer. I think he'll settle down as the season gets started though, and make fewer turnovers and show a better shot selection.

I haven't read anything about him struggling so

I wouldn't think so.Reef had good things to say.

I've heard Hoops isn't a good website for correct

info anyway.

I just got home from the game and it's late and I'm going to bed but Dickau was VERY solid in his first game against NBA caliber competition. I was extremely impressed by his poise. JV and Armstrong really went after him and pressed him hard but he looked very calm out there and handled the pressure well. The boxscore doesn't show it but if Nazr, Paul Shirley, Bennett and even Big Dog had finished plays that they should have, DD would have had AT LEAST 4 more assists and at least one less turnover.

DD is not blazingly quick but he competes hard and more than held his own on D. I think he will struggle to create his own shot (at least right now) but I think he will be solid at everything else, including D. He IS a "pure PG" and a nice change of pace to JT (who looked even better than DD). I think DD is going to be very solid coming off the bench and I think a lot of teams are going to regret passing on him. I don't want to put too much pressure on him but from what I saw, he is a CLEAR upgrade over JV and will contribute AT LEAST as much as JV did as a rookie and probably a lot more.

Trace who do you feel had the biggest impact

on the game?I'm not surprised with DD assist

as I figured he was the Brevin Knight type.Brevin

had 8 assist and so did Nick Van Exel which was

more than starters Nash and JWill.

I think you are going to see more of this type of

thing:

Jwill

brevin

Nash

Nick Van Exel

Bibby

Bobby Jackson

Steve Francis

Moochie Norris

Darrell Armstrong

Jacque Vaughn

Stockton

Mark Jackson

Alot of two PG combo's out there.Is this a

growing trend?I think it's something we are

going to see more of in the coming years.

I've watched and played with Dickau since he was in high school and this first game is about what I expected. With Dan you know what you are going to get, a heady player who gets people the ball where they can score. As for the turnovers and poor shooting, he just needs time to adjust to the speed of the NBA game. His basketball intellect is extremely high and he just finds ways to score. As he gets his game legs under him and he becomes more comfortable his shooting will continue to improve.