• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Milicic and Arrroyo for kelvin Cato??

Dakin

thats the story of a potential trade, from real gm. Is it just me or would Arroyo and Milicic potentially make us a lot better, and take away some pressure from the upcoming draft. Talk about a stockpile of young potential. We don't have a big center to offer, but I hope we can beat the magic to this if theyre really that available.

• Premium Member

I think that's very interesting. IF it goes, it speaks to Detroit needing a big Body AND an ending contract. It doesn't make much sense for Orlando though..

However:

Al to Orlando.

Cato to Detroit.

Arroyo/Darko/Orl 1st to Atlanta.

That makes more sense.

Orlando needs a scorer and a scorer to replace Hill when he retires. I would like to see Al in Orlando with Howard. I think it makes for a good frontline.

I just can't see Detroit doing that. That article came out of a Florida Newspaper so I wouldn't put too much stock in it. It just so happens that Milicic/Arroyo happens to match Kato's salary. That's about it. I can't see Detroit doing this trade for 2 reasons.

1. In my opinion, Milicic alone is worth more than Kelvin Cato. I think Detroit feels that way too.

2. Detroit might be diappointed in Arroyo's play, but he's stil their primary back-up point guard. Trading Arroyo leaves an unfilled void. As good as things are going for Detroit, I don't think they'll move any of their players they rely on; unless it's an overwhelming offer.

Now if Orlando decided to throw in Jameer Nelson, I think a deal would get done.

Quote:

I just can't see Detroit doing that. That article came out of a Florida Newspaper so I wouldn't put too much stock in it. It just so happens that Milicic/Arroyo happens to match Kato's salary. That's about it. I can't see Detroit doing this trade for 2 reasons.

1. In my opinion, Milicic alone is worth more than Kelvin Cato. I think Detroit feels that way too.

2. Detroit might be diappointed in Arroyo's play, but he's stil their primary back-up point guard. Trading Arroyo leaves an unfilled void. As good as things are going for Detroit, I don't think they'll move any of their players they rely on; unless it's an overwhelming offer.

Now if Orlando decided to throw in Jameer Nelson, I think a deal would get done.

Darko is better than Cato? I am not saying either way, but what in the world are you basing that on?

• Premium Member

Cutting those 2 contracts will mean that they can keep Ben Wallace.

Cato seems like so little but he's still a 7 footer who is better than Blount.

When you consider Darko... Darko is a Bust.

Mainly, I think Detroit is afraid of the fight they will have with Atlanta and Chicago over Wallace.

I'm not so sure the bidding for Wallace is going to be all that competitive. Ben turns 32 this year. I mean, how much is a 32 year old 6'9 defensive center with no offensive game worth?

Additionally, why would Joe D want to tinker with this year's rotation that is working beautifully? I know they just got Lindsey Hunter back, but he's not the same Lindsey Hunter of 10 years ago. I feel that unless they're getting a point guard who can take Arroyo's spot, Detroit will not do it.

I think Cato helps right away. Not an impact player, but a guy with a little skill that can take up a few minutes off the bench. He will make some noise with talent around him Think Stacey King. The downer for the Pistons is: do they want to ship Arroyo when Hunter just came back? Can they make that gamble?

I think Dumars is pretty good. If the trade goes down, Pistons will most likely win out.

Cato would be a nice back-up center, but I still contend that Detroit is giving up way more than they're getting. From most articles I've read about Darko, he is still a sought after player by several teams in the league. Darko can still be dealt before the free agent signing period next year to clear the cap space for Big Ben. I also wonder if Wallace is going to be a "Birds Rights" free agent. Cato is averaging only 13 minutes a game for the floundering Majic. He's likely not going to be with the Majic next year anyway. I think Detroit recognizes that, and would be reluctant to send two players that actually have value for a rental player that will be lucky to make the mle from a team next year. IMO, if this deal goes down, Orlando will have to give up more. Either a draft pick or a player like Jameer Nelson.

Quote:

Cato would be a nice back-up center, but I still contend that Detroit is giving up way more than they're getting. From most articles I've read about Darko, he is still a sought after player by several teams in the league. Darko can still be dealt before the free agent signing period next year to clear the cap space for Big Ben. I also wonder if Wallace is going to be a "Birds Rights" free agent. Cato is averaging only 13 minutes a game for the floundering Majic. He's likely not going to be with the Majic next year anyway. I think Detroit recognizes that, and would be reluctant to send two players that actually have value for a rental player that will be lucky to make the mle from a team next year. IMO, if this deal goes down, Orlando will have to give up more. Either a draft pick or a player like Jameer Nelson.

My question is: even though you are losing more, but vastly improving your team...don't you think it is OK? Arroyo has bounced around and can't stick. Darko has no minutes. What are they really giving up? I think it is fair. Addition by subtraction.

Why do you think Kelvin Cato will vastly improve the Pistons? How much better can they get? Cato doesn't have much of an offensive game. He's a decent shot blocker, but nothing to get overly excited about. I don't think he's that much better than Dale Davis. I feel the Pistons can (and probably will) receive a mid to late first round pick for Darko. As for Arroyo, he is their primary back up point guard. In my opinion, you just don't trade him away for salary relief and hope that the 36 year old Lindsey Hunter can get it done. I feel the Pistons are playing too well for Joe D to move a key component of the rotation for cap relief and a center who might get 5 minutes a game.

Quote:

Why do you think Kelvin Cato will vastly improve the Pistons? How much better can they get? Cato doesn't have much of an offensive game. He's a decent shot blocker, but nothing to get overly excited about. I don't think he's that much better than Dale Davis. I feel the Pistons can (and probably will) receive a mid to late first round pick for Darko. As for Arroyo, he is their primary back up point guard. In my opinion, you just don't trade him away for salary relief and hope that the 36 year old Lindsey Hunter can get it done. I feel the Pistons are playing too well for Joe D to move a key component of the rotation for cap relief and a center who might get 5 minutes a game.

Maybe "vastly improve" was a bit much, but getting a srviceable center on that team could help out more than a no defense guard and a guy who never plays. They sure up the middle and get rid of a guy who can't crack an NBA rotation and a foreign guard who nobody seems to like.

Darko may get trade and start tearing it up, but I think for a ring, the Pistons are doing the right thing if they pull the trigger on that deal (and get a draft pick).

PS: I am not trying to be agumenitive, but his is the first legit basketball disussion I have seen on here in a long time. Keep it up!

Quote:

If Orlando throws in a draft pick, I think it could go down. I still feel that Detroit would be taking a risk by trading away Arroyo with only Lindsey Hunter coming off the bench at the one spot.

I disagree...Arroyo has been disappointing in all his stops. Hunter at least has a ring and has experience. I do think a pick needs to be thrown i and that would make this even, but it should be a 2nd.

I'm sure Dumars wants to clear a little capspace so that he can resign Ben and not pay the luxury tax but he will not "give" Darko and Arroyo away for "just" an ending salary. He knows that someone will give him a pick for Darko/Arroyo. That said, Cato/unprotected #1 for Arroyo/darko makes sense for both teams.

DET gets a decent backup Center for the stretch run, they get a lottery pick to improve the NBA's best team AND they get plenty of caproom to resign Big Ben.

ORL gets a solid PG (allowing them to go ahead and deal Franchise as they seem set on doing) and they get a young big man who COULD blossom and be the perfect compliment to D Howard.