• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why does everyone have to be a star or all star?

Wurider05

I am getting a little tired of hearing this player or that player isn't a star or he won't be a all star in two years. WTF does all of that talk mean. How many people got on the all str team because they were popular with the fans. Out in the west three of the five starters were not even on playoff teams. You guys put too much on this so called star quality. You can never forget we got a young team and that these guys are coming up together. Just because someone isn't a star or all star that doesn't mean that they can't be a good player. What is the chance that JJ, AL, JC, JS, ZP, SS, and MW all make the allstar team at the same time. Of that group I think that JJ and ZP may the first ones to make and even for JJ it would be hard because of the players in the EAST who seemingly make it every year just because. I mean players like Iverson, SHaq, etc. You know that Lebron and Wade got there spots locked down for probably the next 10 years or so don't expect out guys to get on the team even if they are deserving of it. If ZAZA continues to improve and SHAQ won't be around forever he will by default be in the top 3 centers in the east. I would rather have a damn good team thatn a team with some allstars who have gotten out of the 1st round of the playoffs or hasn't even made the playoffs all together.

• Premium Member

You take out the exception to the rule, Detroit, and you will be hard pressed to find a Championship team that WASN'T carried by stars or allstars. In fact, the best teams in the league feature at least one premiere talent. It's just a fact of life in the NBA and has been for as long as I've been watching. You have to have that player, or those couple of players, that can get it done. Otherwise, you are just 1st round playoff fodder...if your team can even get that far.

Moreover, this city needs a team that it can identify with. We have no fans because...who have they had to cheer for? It was hard enough to get them to come out and see Deke/Mookie/Smitty (anyone remember the Indiana fans waving towels that year in the playoffs - in our building!)... And those guys were good. Yeah, it's one thing to expect people to come out and support a bad team, it's a whole other ballgame when there isn't a player on the court that you can count on to "Ohhh and Ahhh" you with incredible shooting, impossible passes, or monsterous dunks.

No, you don't need stars to win games. Yes you do need a complete "team" to compete. Nobody is arguing that. However, winning teams have both (and I would say that Ben Wallace is a defensive star for the "star-less Pistons" like Rodman). Role players are easy to find. Decent players are easy to find. You can trade Boris Diaw away, and over the summer pick up a player just like him (if not Boris himself). What's hard to find are those players that make a difference...who you can give the ball to, who can absolutely stop the ball from going in, or who can without a doubt find the right player in the right place at the right time. Those players are stars and they are what drives the league.

Not everyone on this team needs to be a star. But if we expect any kind of respect or results beyond a mediocre regular season and (maybe) a 1st round ass whoopin...then we need at least two special players.

Quote:

Not everyone on this team needs to be a star. But if we expect any kind of respect or results beyond a mediocre regular season and (maybe) a 1st round ass whoopin...then we need at least two special players.

Agreed. I don't think we all want stars at all five positions it just seems that way. If I want Josh Smith to be the star PF and your want Marvin to be the star SF and someone else wants Aldridge to be the star center than collectively it seems like we want all-stars at all five position. Noone has really seperated themself as the special player that will play next to JJ. Some people do believe it will be Marvin, some believe it will be Josh Smith and some Josh Childress, but none of them are guaranteed so hoping for a big player like Morrison, Aldridge or Bargnani makes sense if you believe they will be the special player next to JJ.