• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

McKay gets a STUD CB

CBAreject

Trades up to get Jimmy Williams at #37. Williams was going 20th in the ESPN mock. I figured he was the 2nd best CB in the draft (behind Hunt of Texas), though Cromartie was close, too. They say his inconsistency is what kept him from being top 15. We could've stayed put at 47 and had Cedric Griffin, who went 47. I don't even know if Griffin projects as a starter, though.

Jimmy Williams, 6'2 3/8", 213 lbs, 4.41 40

Strengths: Has rare size/speed combination. A versatile prospect with experience at DC and FS. He is an ideal fit as a press cover corner in a man-to-man scheme. He is tall, has long arms and is strong for the position. He does a good job of pressing WRs at the LOS and taking them out of their routes. He is surprisingly fluid for such a tall DC. Shows the quickness, hips and top-end speed to turn and run with any WR in the NFL if he opens up in time. He shows very good closing burst when the ball is in the air. He is physical and challenges the jump ball. His size gives him a big advantage in the red zone. He has developed excellent ball skills and is a playmaker with the ball in his hands. He fills hard vs. the run and has outstanding potential as a run support DC. He is an aggressive player who will throw his body around and mix it up. He flashes some upside when turned loose on the blitz. Also has experience returning punts.

Weaknesses: Comes off as arrogant and seems to run a lot of people the wrong way. His effort is too streaky. Still has work to do in terms of his consistency in coverage. Will gamble too much and won't get away with it as easily in the NFL. His recognition skills and awareness must improve. Will get caught peeking in the backfield at times and will leave himself vulnerable. He is much more effective in man-coverage than he is in zone. He seems less comfortable in space and needs to improve his ability to read the QB's eyes. Lacks ideal instincts and discipline in zone coverage. Plays out of control at times and will miss too many tackles.

Overall: Williams played in all 14 games as a true freshman in 2002. He started all 13 games at FS in 2003, finishing with 114 tackles, five PBU and two INTs. He moved to DC as a junior in 2004 and finished with 60 tackles, five INTs, 14 PBU and 5.5 TFL. Williams started all 12 games at DC as a senior in 2005 and finished with 44 tackles, two TFL, one sack, one interception and 11 PBU. Williams was overshadowed by senior secondary-mates Vincent Fuller and Eric Green in 2004 but he clearly was the most talented member of the group, as well as its biggest playmaker. Williams still has room to improve in terms of his recognition skills, technique and consistency in man-to-man coverage. He gambles too much in coverage and has been able to get away with inconsistent effort and sloppy technique due to his superior skills at that level. There are some that think Williams will be a better fit at as a free safety in the NFL, but we think his best value will be at the cornerback position so long as he is developed properly and shows the work ethic. Williams has exceptional speed and athletic ability for his size, and he projects as a playmaking "shutdown" cover corner in the NFL if he reaches his potential. In short, Williams has top-15 talent but could slip to the bottom-half of the first round as a result of his inconsistency and baggage.

Great pick for the Falcons, he could be a starter along with his buddy DeAngelo... I didnt think Falcons would get a possible starter in his rookie year in this draft.

Does anyone have any info on Jerious Norwood? I thought they would possibly take this guy in the second round or maybe Maurice Drew(when they had the 47th pick).

Overall great first day of the draft for the Falcons!!!

He was the #2 DB in the draft, behind Huff of Texas and if he hadnt had that hip injury would have most likely been a top 10 pick but fell to Miami at 16. He has the ability to play CB or FS (where he will likely end up).

I saw a good bit of Cromartie and Williams being a Canes fan. With both Huff and Allen projected as Safeties in the NFL, out of the true CBs I think you guys might have gotten the best one, although you always have to worry about a guy coming out of Beamers system as he is probably the best defensive coach in the NCAA. I would say however that Cromartie is probably the most physically gifted CB in the draft, but he has some injury concerns with that knee and I think getting Williams at 37 is a major steal, as long as DeAngelo can keep him in line with his attitude.

Whatever you say there sparky. Thats why the draft experts say that he would have been a lock for the top 10 in the draft had it not been for coming off of his hip injury, which he clearly showed wasnt a problem with his blazing 40 time (4.41 at 6' 210 lbs). Huff is the only DB in this draft I would have taken over him.