One year ago today....

hds428

The Hawks had just finished another abysmal WC roadtrip of LAC/UTA/PHX/SA, and were sitting on a record of 1-6 (that one W being MIA @ home). Injuries had'nt yet completely decimated the squad, but Toni and Theo both were on the IR. JT was playing the 2, and Dion Glover was our starting SF. We fans were bracing for a 50/50 stretch for the remainder of Nov that would'nt bring the team close to .500, bracing for a disapointing December and a heart breaking January. Not to mention earning the lottery pick that would finish off the dirty business with the Clippers (and Lorenzen Wright still in 2002, has'nt panned out). Hawksquawk faithful were equally bemused by Lon Kruger's substitutions and the failure of the Big Point Guard Experiment. Ira Newble was'nt on our radar, and Leon Smith was a Steelhead in Gary Indiana. Shareef was getting ready to drop 50 on the Pistons and Glen Robinson was a Buck. Eric Musselman was'nt a head coach yet, and Rick Mahorn was trying to coax something resembling toughness out of Nazr Mohammed.... Flash forward to a Hawks squad that now has 4 times as many wins as at the same time last year, has doubled their winning %age from .250 to .500, 3 twenty ppg scorers and the league leader in blocked shots. Sometimes we have to look back at the bad to appreciate the good, and look at the bigger picture for a little perspective.....

Great post, hds...

I remember writing "Honeymoon Over For Hawks" after the Clippers debacle, and that whole west coast trip was a nightmare, losing Theo for good, Reef for his first serious stretch of injuries, and even JT for a game.

DJ wasn't even getting minutes on the floor, much less flourish like he did after January.

You are right...sometimes you have to appreciate the process as we continue to improve...

Thanks for the perspective. I would be pissed if we were 1-6 currently. . No doubt we have an improved team. A healthy Theo, an improved bench, a new weapon, and a year of experience for Jt. We can do some damage this year in the east if we could develop into a team with a style and purpose.

I think that will happen. The season is still very young and the cream has not even been added to the coffee yet. I would be less than honest if I said Lon does not concern me though. I hope talent will help overcome his lack of grasp for the NBA game and how to win coaching in it. Hopefully Lon will prove all his nay-sayers, including me, wrong and we win a boatload of games this year. I am tired of middle of the road and losing, I want to see some winning streaks. I believe I will.

Go-Hawks

I agree we always need to look at the good things and keep a positive attitude about our team (hotlantadude). We have a very special squad here, which many teams in the East wouldnt want to play us at all. As of right now, they are looking over their shoulders at the Hawks, every game they play, saying things like "this team has weapons all across the boards" I know because I say the same things.

I realize that when we play The Nets, Hornets, Pacers etc...

Yes we say that JT has a tough matchup vs J. Kidd, B. Davis, Tinsley......but in reality these guys are saying, well all be d-amned, I have to cover JT tonight. Their big men have to contain Reef, best Post player in the East. Or contain Big Dog in the perimeter with his almost automatic jumpers.......Oh yes these guys think about that every time they play Atlanta......oh wait I forgot, They cant drive to the hole much because they have to worry about the shot swatter, Theo Ratliff and be sure their best player will be blanketed all game long against "the Glue" Ira Newble. This team is practically new and yes we dont have the best coach in the league, but he is good enough to take us there. One we get Nazr back in action this team will even have more bench strength to cover some minutes for the starters, and yes IMO we have the scariest team in the East, they fear us when they step in the court with these Hawks, we show no pity and we are hungry.