• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Diaw one of Hawks’ greatest blunders ever

emeans

Quote:

A year ago, Boris Diaw wasn’t deemed good enough to play in 16 games for one of the worst teams in NBA history. The same Boris Diaw scored 34 points and hit the winning basket in Game 1 of the Western Conference finals Wednesday. For all the teeth-gnashing spawned by the Hawks’ drafts over the years, their mishandling of Diaw stands as the greatest mistake since they re-upped Jon Koncak in the summer of 1989.

A confession: Based on his two seasons as a Hawk, I didn’t think Diaw could play. (Or, more precisely, I didn’t think he cared to play.) Billy Knight obviously saw something more, having drafted Diaw with the 21st pick in 2003 when Josh Howard was available. Somehow that vision wasn’t transmitted to Knight’s coaches.

Because Diaw’s two seasons here involved two head coaches — Terry Stotts in 2003-04 and Mike Woodson in 2004-05 — it’s not fair to lay the entire blame at the foot of one man. But it’s instructive that Diaw played in 10 more games and logged an average of seven more minutes as a rookie under Stotts than as a second-year man under Woodson. Diaw worked fewer minutes for a team that finished 13-69 than Tony Delk, whose career is nearly over. Think about that.

Think about an organization that claims its focus is on player development failing to develop the guy who would go to Phoenix in the Joe Johnson sign-and-trade and turn into the NBA’s Most Improved Player. Knight contends that it’s wrong to make too much of this seeming transcendence, saying the Suns’ free-flowing style can’t be compared to any other team’s. “Boris is in a good situation,” Knight said. And then: “You think having Steve Nash makes a difference?”

Which brings us, rather neatly, to larger issues: If the Suns could get the most out of one of the Hawks’ many young swingmen by playing full-tilt basketball, shouldn’t the Hawks consider doing likewise? If you’re thinking outside the box and building a roster of swingmen, do you want the stodgy Woodson — whose mentors are old-schoolers Bobby Knight and Larry Brown — as your coach? Finally, if a point guard like Nash makes so much difference, why don’t the Hawks have a point guard?

Even his detractors would concede that Knight has assembled more talent than the Hawks have had this century, but assembling talent is only half the battle. (The lesser half, actually.) To succeed, the assembly must conform to a design. Why import a rookie head coach to guide a developing team? Why not hire someone older and more patient? Why keep giving heavy minutes to Al Harrington, who won’t be part of the Hawks’ future, as opposed to Marvin Williams, who’s expected to be a cornerstone? Why not give Diaw every chance to fail?

The Hawks saw Diaw more as a point guard; the Suns, who as we know have a point guard, deploy him down low to stunning effect. When Diaw was drafted, he was touted as being able to play any position. Shouldn’t the Hawks have tried him at every position? Shouldn’t Knight have suggested that Woodson lose not with journeymen like Delk and Tom Gugliotta but with the young guys Knight has gone to such lengths to find?

Everyone makes a mistake in the draft. It’s far more alarming to have drafted a bona fide player and to see him blossom only after he’s gone. “At one point there was a label on [Diaw] that he was a soft, non-competitive player,” Phoenix coach Mike D’Antoni told reporters Wednesday night. “He’s just the opposite. … He’s one of the most competitive guys we have, just an intelligent basketball player who knows how to play.”

Presumably Diaw knew how to play all along, but the Hawks couldn’t decide what to do with him. More than the 125 losses this franchise has suffered the last two years, the Diaw fizzle stands as evidence the Hawks don’t even know what they have, let alone where they’re going.

Mark Bradley

Quote:

Quote:

A year ago, Boris Diaw wasn’t deemed good enough to play in 16 games for one of the worst teams in NBA history. The same Boris Diaw scored 34 points and hit the winning basket in Game 1 of the Western Conference finals Wednesday. For all the teeth-gnashing spawned by the Hawks’ drafts over the years, their mishandling of Diaw stands as the greatest mistake since they re-upped Jon Koncak in the summer of 1989.

A confession: Based on his two seasons as a Hawk, I didn’t think Diaw could play. (Or, more precisely, I didn’t think he cared to play.) Billy Knight obviously saw something more, having drafted Diaw with the 21st pick in 2003 when Josh Howard was available. Somehow that vision wasn’t transmitted to Knight’s coaches.

Because Diaw’s two seasons here involved two head coaches — Terry Stotts in 2003-04 and Mike Woodson in 2004-05 — it’s not fair to lay the entire blame at the foot of one man. But it’s instructive that Diaw played in 10 more games and logged an average of seven more minutes as a rookie under Stotts than as a second-year man under Woodson. Diaw worked fewer minutes for a team that finished 13-69 than Tony Delk, whose career is nearly over. Think about that.

Think about an organization that claims its focus is on player development failing to develop the guy who would go to Phoenix in the Joe Johnson sign-and-trade and turn into the NBA’s Most Improved Player. Knight contends that it’s wrong to make too much of this seeming transcendence, saying the Suns’ free-flowing style can’t be compared to any other team’s. “Boris is in a good situation,” Knight said. And then: “You think having Steve Nash makes a difference?”

Which brings us, rather neatly, to larger issues: If the Suns could get the most out of one of the Hawks’ many young swingmen by playing full-tilt basketball, shouldn’t the Hawks consider doing likewise? If you’re thinking outside the box and building a roster of swingmen, do you want the stodgy Woodson — whose mentors are old-schoolers Bobby Knight and Larry Brown — as your coach? Finally, if a point guard like Nash makes so much difference, why don’t the Hawks have a point guard?

Even his detractors would concede that Knight has assembled more talent than the Hawks have had this century, but assembling talent is only half the battle. (The lesser half, actually.) To succeed, the assembly must conform to a design. Why import a rookie head coach to guide a developing team? Why not hire someone older and more patient? Why keep giving heavy minutes to Al Harrington, who won’t be part of the Hawks’ future, as opposed to Marvin Williams, who’s expected to be a cornerstone? Why not give Diaw every chance to fail?

The Hawks saw Diaw more as a point guard; the Suns, who as we know have a point guard, deploy him down low to stunning effect. When Diaw was drafted, he was touted as being able to play any position. Shouldn’t the Hawks have tried him at every position? Shouldn’t Knight have suggested that Woodson lose not with journeymen like Delk and Tom Gugliotta but with the young guys Knight has gone to such lengths to find?

Everyone makes a mistake in the draft. It’s far more alarming to have drafted a bona fide player and to see him blossom only after he’s gone. “At one point there was a label on [Diaw] that he was a soft, non-competitive player,” Phoenix coach Mike D’Antoni told reporters Wednesday night. “He’s just the opposite. … He’s one of the most competitive guys we have, just an intelligent basketball player who knows how to play.”

Presumably Diaw knew how to play all along, but the Hawks couldn’t decide what to do with him. More than the 125 losses this franchise has suffered the last two years, the Diaw fizzle stands as evidence the Hawks don’t even know what they have, let alone where they’re going.

Mark Bradley

Correct. It was a blunder not to draft someone else.

Quote:

I wonder if the Knicks and the Bulls get this much grief for Tim Thomas, since he is responsible of the Suns even getting out of the first round.

They get it, although not as much. TT has and will always be a malcontent who plays only when it is time for a new contract. Diaw hasn't developed that reputation yet.

I agree with most of what's said in that article. However, they completely fail to adress the fact that we got our best player in a LONG time by getting rid of Diaw. Also I don't think it's our fault that we didn't try him at the 4/5. There was no reason to think that would work, and even Phoenix wouldn't have tried it if Amare and Kurt don't go down. Also, he doesn't adress Diaw's failures when he was here. I also don't think Marvin needed heavy minutes, I was fine with bringing him along slowly.

However, I do agree with the following points where I don't really get BK's direction:

-Billy Knight obviously saw something more, having drafted Diaw. Somehow that vision wasn’t transmitted to Knight’s coaches.

-“Boris is in a good situation,” Knight said. And then: “You think having Steve Nash makes a difference?”

-If the Suns could get the most out of one of the Hawks’ many young swingmen by playing full-tilt basketball, shouldn’t the Hawks consider doing likewise?

-If you’re thinking outside the box and building a roster of swingmen, do you want the stodgy Woodson — whose mentors are old-schoolers Bobby Knight and Larry Brown — as your coach?

-Finally, if a point guard like Nash makes so much difference, why don’t the Hawks have a point guard?

-Even his detractors would concede that Knight has assembled more talent than the Hawks have had this century, but assembling talent is only half the battle.

-To succeed, the assembly must conform to a design.

-Why import a rookie head coach to guide a developing team? Why not hire someone older and more patient?

-Why not give Diaw every chance to fail?

I am really not worried about Diaw blossoming in his perfect situation. However, I will be worried if BK's vision for the future of this team doesn't emerge after this offseason. I want to see a veteran or two, and we can't have any more glaring holes. To me, this is the summer that determines BK and our fate.

Quote:

If Diaw makes the All-Star game next year and years to come....this will be the biggest blunder.....EVER!!

I totally agree with this columnist.

What are you talking about?

Would Diaw ever have been an All-Star here? Stop thinking zero-sum!

Quote:

If Diaw makes the All-Star game next year and years to come....this will be the biggest blunder.....EVER!!

I totally agree with this columnist.

Diaw will not make the all-star game next year, give me a break. Next year he will be the 4th or 5th best player on his team, he will not be one of the best 12 players in the west, give me a break

I don't see why they'd take a step back. Amare and Kurt makes them a much better playoff team.

Nash-Bell-Marion-?-Amare is automatic in the starting 5, where Bell can be replaced with some other SG. Then they'll probably alternate starting Diaw and Kurt at the 4 depending on the matchups. Probably more Diaw in the regular season, more Kurt in the playoffs.

Either way no all-star

Look at the west's roster:

Ray Allen (Seattle)

Elton Brand (L.A. Clippers)

*Kobe Bryant (L.A. Lakers)

*Tim Duncan (San Antonio)

Kevin Garnett (Minnesota)

#Pau Gasol (Memphis)

Shawn Marion (Phoenix)

Tracy McGrady (Houston)

Yao Ming (Houston)

Steve Nash (Phoenix)

Dirk Nowitzki (Dallas)

Tony Parker (San Antonio)

Add Amare if he's healthy again (maybe - not sure who he replaces), and you're telling me Diaw has the slightest chance at bumping anyone in that lineup? Give me a break.

I think that that is the nature of the NBA. What are they gonna do win 70 games now?

They will have to adjust their style of play to having Amare in the game, and there is no guarantee that Amare will be anywhere near the same player. And you can't discount the fact that he is still a young player.

There is also the factor that people will create and adjust new strategies to counter Phoenix. Just as the Run N' Shoot in football eventually got solved, so will Phoenix.

Quote:

What if JJ makes the All-Star game next year and years to come and the Phoenix pick turns out to be non-lotterry?

What if the Hawks win their division next year and make it to the conference finals and the suns win 26 games and miss the playoffs?The difference is that the Hawks have a poor organization and the Suns are just the opposite.I believe that the Hawks had more wins than the Suns just three seasons ago?

Mark Bradley has no room to talk. He was the same guy that Bashed the Hawks for drafting Diaw instead of Josh Howard and now he is riding Diaw's jock because he sees Diaw has talent.

Quote:

I think most of the genius in phoenix was colangelo and he's gone now. We'll see how well sarver does without him

I like BC and I think he'll be able to build a god team in Toronto, first by establishing the front office but I'm not sad to see him go. I think D'Antoni is the smartest b-ball person in the orginization and have thought so since shortly after he was promoted in '03. David Griffin(he actually wanted to draft Diaw over Zarko and convinced the Suns to try and trade for him even before the JJ deal) is considered one of the best talent evaluators in the league and there was concern he'd leave for a larger role with another team, now he's sharing GM duties with D'Antoni.

As long as the Suns maintain the same level of respect and reputation with players and agents the Colangelo's had(and Jerry is still with the team another year) I think they'll be alright.

Guest Walter

Quote:

-Finally, if a point guard like Nash makes so much difference, why don’t the Hawks have a point guard?

That's the most true thing said in the article. The only instance an all-forward team has shown any ability is when led by an MVP PG and our GM doesn't think we should even have a Pg. Inane to think it will work for us without the primary player ingredient much less the coaching mastermind.

W

Guest Walter

...claim.

Quote:

Quote:

our GM doesn't think we should even have a Pg.

please show me where he said this

It was during a "recent" radio show I believe and posted here.

Let's forget that BK doesn't want a true Pg. Let's assume he does. We still can't count on getting a 2-time MVPer. The closest thing to that in 10 years was (gulp) Chris Paul and BK lifted his nose to that one most definately.

W