• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

firelonkruger.com

hds428

All this Fire The Coach talk has me thinking of Dan Reeves. He'd been at the Falcons helm during some pretty pathetic years when Arthur Blank bought the team. Then a new 3-4 defense was installed by Wade Phillips and Mike vick was moved to starter. Three losses piled up fast and noone was convinced by the beating of the Bungles. Fans were pi$$ed royally, the Curtis Bunns and Terrence Moores of this town were having a field day. But something happened, the defense gelled and stopped teams from scoring, then the offense came around and started putting some points on the board. Now firedanreeves.com is shut down, Terrance Moore is reduced to potshots at Hootie and Don Wadell(sp?) and the fans are actually enjoying some winning football. I posted the link to the Michael Lee article in another thread but I think everyone should take a read. I think the Hawks will come around, and like Dan Reeves, firing Lon Kruger will be a dead topic to all but an obsessive few Terrance Moores by the end of the year.

• Premium Member

The Difference is...

Dan Reeves has been there before. He knows what it takes to win. He took both Denver and Atlanta to the Superbowl before. That's what you call experience. He is experienced in at least getting his team into the post season (deep).

BUT.

Lon Kruger is not. He's a college coach with a college coaches mentality. That's why he doesn't understand game flow or when to make substitutions or how to adjust or how to form your offense around the strengths of your players. It's a shame to see Shareef standing on the perimeter.. It's a shame to see Big Dog and Ham trying to handle the ball. It's a shame to see JT bring the ball to the top of the Key, and hoping to find an open man somewhere. I've seen better coaching in a street ball game.

Say what you want to about Reeves situation.. However, don't put Lon in Dan's class. Dan has done far more than Lon. Dan played in the league he coaches in and he has won in the league that he coaches in. What has Lon done?

Wether Kruger is in Reeves league is'nt the point (which obviously he is'nt). The point is that 13 games into an 82 game campaign is premature speculation at best. Firing Lon might turn out to be the answer, although I can't think of any teams off the top of my head who've improved in the last couple of years because of coaching change except for Boston. But neither you nor I can say after 13 games with any authority that firing Kruger will make this team any better.

AT LEAST before any coaching change is even discussed. There is a lot of basketball left to be played this season and I think the team is going to be significantly better by the All Star break than it is now. If the team stays relatively healthy and doesn't show any improvement by then, I'm all for discussing a coaching change.

Falcon's football -- They started winning with the same

coach that had been there before. Weaknesses were

found and corrected in the offense, mainly the line and

the addition of Vick as starter.

The defense improved by the addition of a new coach for

them and his getting some veterans he wanted to

implement his type of defensive scheme.

How dumb is Reaves? He has assistant coaches who

handle various aspects of the game plan, then he

blends all this together as a master chef to produce

the finished product.

Hawks basketball should work the same way. Assistant

coaches on the Hawks should work with different

parts of the game plan, then the head coach blends all

this together to provide the finished product.

We see posted here, over and over, Lon Kruger is just

a dumb coledge coach who has no idea how to do

anything as an N.B.A. coach and is not and never will

understand anything about being an N.B.A. type coach.

He can't teach, he can't do proper rotation of players,

he can't motivate the players, in fact, he can't do

anything that I could do if I were the coach. Who said

that? Any of us that post here, that's who!

Let's put at least a small portion of the blame on the

assistant coaches of the Birds. After all, where would

the Falcons defense be without Phillips? What part

of the game is each assistant responsible for? Find

out and see if that part of the game needs improvement.

Ultimately, the responsibility of the finished product

must fall on the head coach and it should be this way.

What are the assistant coaches bringing to the table

to make the Hawks a complete product? We all know,

if we are Falcon fans, what Phillips has brought to our

football team.

Are the assistant coaches doing their job and the head

coach not using their input? Will he not listen to them?

Is he that stupid or is it the fact that his assistant

coaches can't do the job?

There is enough blame to go around and Babcock and

Kruger are easy targets since they are the heads of

their respective departments.