• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Attn: Salisbury....

drzachary

I was under the impression that recruiting before the signing period (tommorrow evening) was close to useless. I sent out packages and calls as soon as recruiting began, and got a few good leads. Since then I've done one home visit and that's it. I thought I read that it was a waste of time and you should wait until shortly before signing time.

Reading this thread leads me to believe that this is wildly inaccurate.

Any help??

I've got another question. When it says that a recruit is considering other schools and I click on him and I see the names of 2 other schools for instance, does that mean that I am not being considered, or my school doesn't show up because he's not really considering me?

Quote:

I've got another question. When it says that a recruit is considering other schools and I click on him and I see the names of 2 other schools for instance, does that mean that I am not being considered, or my school doesn't show up because he's not really considering me?

After a little research, it appears that the answer is that these people are not considering me, and I might have 6 walk ons ... WOW!

If there's a guy who I really want should I go ahead and give him a scholarship now? I'm assuming he can't accept until tommorrow night anyhow, but maybe it'll put me at the top of his list?

I NEED ANSWERS!!

Quote:

Quote:

After a little research, it appears that the answer is that these people are not considering me, and I might have 6 walk ons ... WOW!

If there's a guy who I really want should I go ahead and give him a scholarship now? I'm assuming he can't accept until tommorrow night anyhow, but maybe it'll put me at the top of his list?

I NEED ANSWERS!!

Yeah until you have invested enough $$ into a player, he wont consider you. When does recruiting end for you? When is the last day?

well it started last night at 6, signings begin tommorrow night at 8, and it ends friday at midnight.

So I thought I would call them a few times today (they're listed as undecided or considering other schools), then extend scholarships and visits tommorrow during the day.

What should the correct strategy be? Offer visits and scholarships now?

The two main guys I really want, I'm pretty sure I can get. One is considering two simAI teams, I'm better and closer. The other is considering a team that's significantly worse than me owned by a human.

Would you be recruiting heavily at this stage? I'm new to this!

Ok, I always do a couple phone calls but always do a scouting trip whether its an asst or head coach and pay attention to what the report is. If the guy has no potential then he most likely wont be worth it. If my AC says unlimited potential then I am all over him.

Also DO NOT GET into a bidding war. In football ( I am sure hoops is the same ) you get to roll over $$. So there will be sharks out there who'll steal guys at the end. If your in a battle with a better team, it'll be a hard fight.

Recruit close to home is important as a 1st yr coach.

Pay attention to the CORE RATINGS instead of the overall. For exp:

You need a Center and he is rated 468. Look at the numbers that are important for a Center such as Reb/Blk etc. He might have a high rating b/c his Ball Handling/Perimeter/Durability might be high and his Reb/Blk will be low.

Be Patient. There are 8 cycles a day ( every 3hrs ). Use your money wisely b/c if you overspend you'll have nothing at the end and will end up with walkons. Its hard to be patient and I learned it during my 1st recruiting season. Just make sure you have $$ at the end.

SimAI teams can easily be beat for a recruit. Stay on top of your guys vs the SimAI teams and you'll win out.

Ask any other questions you have & I'll help out anyway I can. Goodluck & have fun!

Quote:

Ok, I always do a couple phone calls but always do a scouting trip whether its an asst or head coach and pay attention to what the report is. If the guy has no potential then he most likely wont be worth it. If my AC says unlimited potential then I am all over him.

So you're saying it's not too early and I should start doing more visits now correct?

Quote:

there will be sharks out there who'll steal guys at the end. If your in a battle with a better team, it'll be a hard fight.

I guess that's why I was being patient, I'd rather be a shark than lose to one

Quote:

Pay attention to the CORE RATINGS instead of the overall.

Yeah I've got that down. I developed my own rating system grin.gif

Quote:

Be Patient. There are 8 cycles a day ( every 3hrs ). Use your money wisely b/c if you overspend you'll have nothing at the end and will end up with walkons.

I guess that's my question, is what does that mean? How much is normal? If you were me, would you start doing visits with my top 2-3 candidates? Or wait until tommorrow? I have money for 6 scholarships, and need to fill 2 starting spots IMO.

Sounds to me like you're saying I should go ahead and spend on my top guys, and wait on the others.

I budget myself for 6 cycles a day. I dont do the 2:30am/5:30am cycles only b/c I am sleeping. With 6 scholarships thats $18,000, which comes out to $3,000 a recruit. So by my standards, take the 18K and divide it by days, then take that amount and divide it by the cycles and thats how much I'll spend per cycle. Now in the first few cycles, you'll spend more then what you allow yourself but after the scouting reports ( which are obviously more expensive then a phone call ) it'll balance out. I normally wont offer a scholarship until a player is considering me. If it gets close though, then offer one. Also dont guarentee someone a starting spot as a freshman/sophmore unless you really mean it. His WE will go down and he might even transfer.

In football as well, you can add recruits to your list for free so load up if you can. If it started then its $10 to add it your list ( asst coach call ) so scout & lock & load if its not too late!

Las... There's no right or wrong way, according to the forums anyways. Some people cherrypick (it's rude, but valid.) Some people go hard after recruits early to scare off competition. I am going hard after 2 people, and it's backfiring terribly.

Also, one thing I found with my team in Rupp is that I had people I hadn't scouted start considering me, due to desperation or whatever. They're probably better than walkons?

holy crap am I glad that I did this as a sort of practice before the Rupp world. I have spent about half my budget (for 6 scholarships) and have 1 guy considering me... although in all fairness I just spent a boatload on 3 guys I hope to sign and the results won't show til the next round. I just made 2 scholarship offers and will probably make another one tommorrow.

I am pretty sure that this team is already 100% completely screwed, but it should be fun to see how this plays out.

At least I'll have a better idea come next time, because even having read a good bit of the forums, I was still pretty clueless.

Last place HERE I COME!

one more question. Let's say I spend my whole recruiting budget on 3 players, and have 3 walk ons. The next year, when my next 3 seniors graduate, if I let the 3 walk ons go, do I get a full recruiting budget for 6 sholarships? If so it isn't so bad

Yeah you can cut a player and gain a scholarship. I am waiting for a guy to be late for practice on my team so I can cut him to make room for another scholly. So far only my stars have shown up late so I couldnt cut them. Made them run some laps but I am just waiting for one of my bench players to show up late. I am gonna light him up!!!

HELP!!

I have 3 guys I'm going after hard to try to secure. Tell me what you recommend in each scenario:

-Target 1: The guy I want the most. I've already spent $3,800 on him (I know I know)

Over night I made a scholarship offer over night. I got the following emails:

"Coach, the weekend was a blast. Everyone was cool and showed me a great time. Salisbury looks like a perfect spot for me although I still have a few visits to take."

"Coach, you've sold me on Salisbury! Unless something changes between now and the signing period, you can count on me playing for you next season."

Then after 2 cycles of me doing nothing:

"Coach, I'm really struggling right now - you have a nice program (from what I know of it) and the school is okay, but it's such a big decision. I'm leaning towards no, but I need more time."

It appears I'm in a bidding war with another human. He is also a new coach, and his team won 2 games last year while I won 11. I think I can win, but how should I approach it? Spend another boatload now? Wait until closer to signing time? Help!!

-Target # 2: I've spent $1300 on him. I'm listed as one of his targets as well as 4 SimAI teams, which I know you should be able to beat. He says:

"Coach, thanks for the scholarship offer - I wish I could sign right now!"

"Coach, I just wanted to say thanks for having me this weekend. The guys were great and I want Salisbury to be home next year. These last couple of visits to other schools should just be a formality."

-Target #3: I've spent $2,000, hadn't made an offer but I'm about to. He says:

"Coach, the weekend was a blast. Everyone was cool and showed me a great time. Salisbury looks like a perfect spot for me although I still have a few visits to take."

He is listed as only considering us.

Any advice on what you would do in each case?

I only have $8,065 and really haven't approached anyone for the other 3 scholarships (backups)

Man, I thought I knew was I was doing after Rupp, but I am sucking in Tark. I have only spent money on 2 guys, neither of which seem too interested (but I might be surprised - they are 'considering us among others') and I only have $202 left. That lets me do 2 last-ditch scholarship offers to people who haven't signed right before the signing period ends.

Target #1: I have no real experience competing w/ humans in Rupp (my targets in Tark are each interested in one human coach besides me). I really have no idea. You might get snaked.

Target #2: I'd probably place one phone call each cycle or so, but if he's only interested in SimAI besides you, and you're getting the "if I could sign now, I would" message, you're fine w/ him.

Target #3: Same as #2.

I'm no expert though!

Do you have AIM or Gtalk? Trying to talk about this minutiae on the forums can be difficult.

Quote:

HELP!!

I have 3 guys I'm going after hard to try to secure. Tell me what you recommend in each scenario:

-Target 1: The guy I want the most. I've already spent $3,800 on him (I know I know)

Over night I made a scholarship offer over night. I got the following emails:

"Coach, you've sold me on Salisbury! Unless something changes between now and the signing period, you can count on me playing for you next season."

Then after 2 cycles of me doing nothing:

"Coach, I'm really struggling right now - you have a nice program (from what I know of it) and the school is okay, but it's such a big decision. I'm leaning towards no, but I need more time."

It appears I'm in a bidding war with another human. He is also a new coach, and his team won 2 games last year while I won 11. I think I can win, but how should I approach it? Spend another boatload now? Wait until closer to signing time? Help!!

Since you already made visits/scouted him, every cycle I would do multiple phone calls/letters.

of the three I really want, I got one, one seems almost certain to come, and I'm in a war for the third even though I know I shouldn't.

Now I'm looking at recruiting my next 3 with a limited budget. This has been a good learning experience though.