• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawk article-Listless Efforts disapointing

[ The Atlanta Journal-Constitution: 12-16-02 ]

Listless efforts disappointing

By MICHAEL LEE

Atlanta Journal-Constitution Staff Writer

After the Hawks soundly beat the Milwaukee Bucks at home 10 days ago, Hawks coach Lon Kruger said with a laugh, "All of a sudden, it looks like we know what we're doing."

Can he say the same now? The Hawks' yo-yo season has hit its lowest point, with the team staggering to its third three-game losing streak after a 102-88 loss Saturday against the Phoenix Suns.

"When it rains, it pours," reserve guard Emanual Davis said. "As a man, you've just got to fight your way through the tough times. Right now, ain't too many people on our side, [but] we can't allow ourselves to feel like we're a bad team."

The ship may not be sinking -- the Hawks (10-13) are tied with the Washington Wizards for eighth in the Eastern Conference -- but it is in need of repair.

General manager Pete Babcock said he is concerned about the Hawks' incongruent play. Sometimes, the Hawks bring it, and sometimes they don't. The only constant has been frustration.

"You just feel like you're not maximizing your potential. When you show you're capable of playing at a certain level and you don't do it every night, it's disappointing," Babcock said. "Your execution might not be great. You might make some mistakes or miscues because of the newness of the group -- that's understandable. But not lack of intensity, not lack of energy."

"We've been up and down in every aspect of the game," Kruger said, echoing Babcock's sentiment. "Execution. Rebounding. Turnovers. Energy level -- yet the energy level is something you can [have] every night."

Theo Ratliff and Ira Newble said the Hawks should be "embarrassed" by their performance against the Suns, when they left the court to the sound of boos. Who's to blame?

"I don't think it's coaching at all," Newble said. "You can't put that on the coach at all. [The players] have got to fight. We've got to scrap. We've got to box out. We've got to get rebounds. We've got to play defense."

The Hawks, in the second quarter of their season, still are "searching," Jason Terry said. "It's a long season. We're going to get back after it, though -- best believe it."

But Kruger warns that time won't be an ally much longer, if it ever was.

"We can't continue to think like that," Kruger said. "We've got to treat each game, each possession, with urgency and not get trapped into thinking, 'Well, it is early.' It's certainly not the way it is."

I told you Chillz there was boo's I knew I wasn;t hearing

things.lol

Lons job is on the line....Read the bold.

Naw I think Kruger is hinting at getting rid of some of the people on the team if they don't improve. Look for Babs to stir things up next month if we are still inconsistent. Another thing is some of the players talking are the main culprits. Jason Terry is one and Emanual Davis is also. I remember on one play where the suns had got the rebound and went on a fastbreak, Newble was at the top of the key and Emanual Davis was on the wing. Newble was the only guy out of the 2 to make it back down court on the other end to challenge the shot. Emanual didn't even run hard to try and disrupt the break he just sort of Jogged down court to the other end.

At this point, if the coaching staff can't figure out how to get the most out of a talented team, then you have to bring in someone who can.

If you look at MEM, they have pulled together a plan and it's beginning to work...If Lon can't fix it, someone else will have to be brought in to do so.

HOWEVER, this will not occur during the season...Only until the season is complete and all the games and chances have expired will this season and Lon be evaluated....

The only caveat is, if the Hawks are so embarassing that change is forced on Pete.

But remember that the threshold for embarassment is higher for the Hawks than it is for the fans.

HOWEVER, this will not occur during the season...Only until the season is complete and all the games and chances have expired will this season and Lon be evaluated...."

We are supposed to blow another lottery pick for

Lon?When does it ever stop?

Lon does not deserve the full season to waste.he's

done nothing to deserve it at all.Being a few mediocre

teams the second half of last year just isn;t good

enough.Whe the schedule we had the second half we

should have atleast been 6 games above .500 for the

second half of the season.

All the wasting time [censored] with a obviousally inferior

coach is pointless.This is a business...Who gives a

[censored] about Lon?He's contributed nothing to the team

in his tenure here.

We can't afford to give up a lottery pick for Big Dog.He

isn't worth it.He screws up as many things as he does

right.For every basket he scores he gives one up on the

other end...for nearly every rebound he gets he turns

the ball over.

Unbelieveable that we are going to give up a lotto pick

for a cancer like Big Dog.His lazyness has spread through

out the team.Big Dog is never in shape so you know he

is lazy.

• Premium Member

Right.

It's a waste of time to give Lon more time.

The questioin why Dec. 19th.

Well, I figure that Jan 1, we have a homestand for about 4-5 games. I say we get a new coach in here by the 19th... Then by the 1st, we can gain some momentum before we head into the break. Over the break, the new coach can have basically a minicamp to reinforce what he's been teaching. The second half of the season, we have the talent to win 65% of our games or better.

The Schedule is lighter the second half of the year..

Get a new coach and we can help get things together

for the second half of the season.

I don't understand the loyality to Lon...1/4 of the

way into the season and the coach has already

lost the players.Changes need to be made.No

excuses.

Waste or not, I would be stunned if the Hawks blew Lon out before the season ended.

They are going to give him the full season to get this done, like it or not, and after last season, when they finished strong, I am sure that will further the feeling to not make a radical change mid season.

We are still tied for eighth in the conference, and with a home heavy March, I can see Lon keeping the job.

Now, don't confuse this for MY own feelings on the matter, I am just trying to communicate what I believe the Hawks are thinking and will do...

• Premium Member

You say that it would surprise you... NOT Me.

Basketball wise.

1. We are too talented to be this bad.

We are playing about the same as last yr and we have Theo and Big Dog back. Two allstars added to the roster and we still stink.

2. Allstar game comes to Atlanta.

At this rate, there may be no representitives from Atlanta on the allstar team. Usually it doesn't mean much but this yr, it does because we can't sell the team to potential players who may seek a new home. The City sells itself, but what Allstars would like better is to see how the hometown guys are treated by the crowd.

3. The Deal.

It's not the money. I mean, it's less than 500,000 dollars that the Hawks will be paying back. BUT it's the shame. We made big noise about making the playoffs and if we don't it will look like Babcock's failure.

4. Hawks on the market.

The losing franchise will mean that babcock might not be reconsidered when the new owners take over.

My guess is that Babcock is already talking to guys. Maybe Van Gundy and others. He realizes that Lon was his call. He realizes that this is the team HE built. NO more scapegoats. So before Babs takes the Long walk with Lon, look for Babs to try to right what is wrong.

BTW, this is early enough in the season to make that change and still put together a strong playoff run.

You make valid points, but only one (the All-Star game) addresses an in-season need to switch.

Every other reason you list, I believe the Hawks will wait until the season is officially over before evaluating.

Your points:

1. We are too talented to be this bad.

I agree, three games under .500 is below this team. BUT, we are still tied for 8th in the conference, which qualifies us for the playoffs. Is this enough for the Hawks to run Kruger mid-season? I don't think they would.

2. The all-star game is in Atlanta

Sure the Hawks would like to be a first place team as the NBA's showcase moves in, and yes it would help if the Hawks were winning to get a player in the game, but would the firing of a coach enhance the image of the team before the game comes, or would continuity be more preferable? I think the Hawks would avoid the big change even IF they felt image was that important, and I don't believe they do.

3. The Guarantee

Again, we don't know if the Hawks miss the playoffs for quite a while. Right now, they are in. Maybe in February they aren't. Then in March, maybe they are back in. The guarantee is still a plus, but remember, even if they make it in, they pay out to the ticket holders because the first game is free.

4. Hawks for Sale.

Anybody interested in buying the Hawks would likely put his new crew in place anyway, leaving Babcock, Kasten, et al out in the cold. Arthur Blank is an exception, and remember the Falcons were not a winning team and he STILL kept everyone status quo....

One note about Van Gundy: He is still under contract with the Knicks for this season, so any move for him would require compensation to the Knicks. The Knicks have reportedly asked for a first round pick for Jeff, a high price considering he is a FA coach at the end of the season.

One note about Van Gundy: He is still under contract with the Knicks for this season, so any move for him would require compensation to the Knicks. The Knicks have reportedly asked for a first round pick for Jeff, a high price considering he is a FA coach at the end of the season.

"

Well the Hawks have never really had a problem throwing

first round picks around.