• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Recruiting Tool for WIS

Guest Riv

I dont know how you guys keep track of your stuff but I keep all of my data in Excel ( team/player stats, player progress, etc ) anyways I joined my 2nd world in GridIron and began recruiting. Well as I search for recruits I look for their core attributes obviously ( exp: QB = Game Instinct/Strength/Technique ). I like to find players who rank in the Top 25 in all 3 targeted core catagories. As I struggled to write everything down, it dawned on me to do what I do for stats and thats to run a web query. Its made a world of difference for me. Run a query on your search for each core attribute and then match up the names in your spreadsheet. Saves alot of time and its very effective. Try it out next time you recruit, it'll definately help.

1) Go to your team's Office page.

2) Click on the "more stats..." link to bring up your team's pop-up page.

3) Click on the "Player Ratings" link at the top of the pop-up.

4) Right click anywhere in the grid of player ratings.

5) Select "Properties..." from the pop-up menu that appears.

6) Copy the "Address (URL)" by Ctrl-C.

7) Cancel the "Properties..." window.

8) Close your team's pop-up page by clicking on the red X in the top-right.

9) Open a new worksheet (or existing worksheet) in Microsoft Excel.

10) Make sure the cursor is in the cell of the sheet that you want the data to start. For most applications, I'd say cell A1 would be appropriate.

11) From the "Tools" menu, select "Import External Data > New web query..."

12) Remove the contents of the "Address" box in the pop-up that appears.

13) Put the cursor in the empty box you just cleared and hit Ctrl-V to paste the Team Ratings URL in.

14) Click on the "Go" button to the right of the "Address" box.

15) Within the pop-up window, you'll now see the ratings for your team. Adjacent to that, you'll see a yellow box with an arrow facing right. Click on that and it will turn into a green box with a check mark. (This should be the inner-most yellow box that you just clicked)

16) Click on the "Options..." button in the top-right of the pop-up. This will bring another pop-up to the front.

17) Choose:

a) If you only want plain text of your team's name, position, year and attributes, make sure "None" is selected in the Formatting section.

b) If you want the full HTML formatting (colors, hyperlinks - which won't work, and so on), select "Full HTML formatting" in the Formatting section.

18) Click "OK" and the second pop-up will disappear.

19) Click "Import" and the original pop-up will disappear.

20) A new pop-up will appear.

21) Click "OK" and this pop-up will disappear.

22) Excel will access the web and your team ratings will be imported into the page where you started.

To update the ratings each day (or whenever), go to the page where you've imported the ratings. You'll see a new group of buttons up in your toolbars. Find the exclamation point button (Refresh Page) and click that. Excel will access your ratings page and put the new data in place of the old.