• Raised $390 of $700 target

Mullins says Golden State still want AL

BornandDieHawks

Quote:

Kawakami: Splashy move still occupies Mullin

By Tim Kawakami

Mercury News

AP archives

Warriors executive Chris Mullin could still land forward Al Harrington, right, who could still torpedo a trade to Indiana.

Chris Mullin is still fishing for tall talent, long after I would've dumped bait, packed up the gear and headed for the dark halls of air-conditioned sanity.

He knows things and makes phone calls I don't. But it's getting late in an NBA off-season that has featured the biggest prizes landing everywhere in the solar system except on the Warriors' roster.

It's late. Warriors fans, who have waited 12 years already, are antsy. Mullin's still fishing.

Which makes sense. Could Mullin possibly face the Warriors populace come October if he hasn't performed significant surgery to a roster that has proved it can win no more and no fewer than 34 games a season?

It's August. So far: Derek Fisher traded, Patrick O'Bryant drafted. Nothing else.

``I think something else will come down the pike,'' Mullin said from his office Wednesday afternoon. ``We've got people that generate interest, no question about that.''

Those people being: Troy Murphy, Andris Biedrins and Mickael Pietrus, among others; any of those guys, Mullin implies, could trigger a secondary round of movement.

Does that mean the Warriors are back in the chaotic hunt for Al Harrington, now that Harrington has reportedly fired agent Andy Miller and potentially scotched the pending trade from Atlanta to Indiana that Miller approved?

Mullin isn't sure, because he thought he was inching close to acquiring Harrington a while ago, then was rebuffed. But Mullin knows he has a good relationship with Arn Tellem, Harrington's rumored new agent.

And Mullin is still wondering why Atlanta bypassed his trade offer of Murphy a few weeks ago in favor of Indiana's salary-cap paperwork.

``I'll be on the phone later today for sure,'' Mullin said. ``But really, the factor becomes Atlanta. That's what everybody's missing. If they want to do a basketball deal, they can do a good deal where we can be as big a player as anybody.''

Mullin says he has talked with Murphy about the possibility of a trade, and that every player should understand the realities of the business -- especially for a team that for 12 years has been in the losing business.

``No, it's not a concern,'' Mullin said of Murphy's name hitting the rumor mill. ``He's been put out there by people respecting his game.''

So how disappointed were you when Harrington seemed to slip through the Warriors' fingers a few weeks ago?

``If I was,'' Mullin said, ``I'm not now.''

Despite his continued intrigue in the young slashing forward, it wasn't Harrington-or-bust a few weeks ago, and it's not now, Mullin insists. There are other options.

He didn't mention names of high interest, though forwards Chris Wilcox, Carlos Boozer and Drew Gooden are three that come to my mind. All three, while talented, come with question marks; none is a guaranteed fix for the Warriors' woes.

So the fishing continues.

Though he has had talks about Jamaal Magloire in the past, Mullin said he wasn't considering a deal for Magloire before Milwaukee traded the veteran center to Portland.

When I asked directly, Mullin also said he won't be trading for Allen Iverson, though Mullin conceded he had sketchy talks with the 76ers that led nowhere a few months ago.

Iverson didn't make a ton of sense to me: If there's going to be an abrasive, massively talented, compensated and maddening guard on the Warriors' 2006-07 roster, it's going to be Baron Davis and only Baron Davis.

No matter what else happens this off-season, Mullin said, the Warriors' fate remains tied to Davis and his fragile body.

But Mullin also didn't sound stunned when I mentioned that a series of respected NBA figures have volunteered to me recently that Davis was a franchise blight.

I disagreed with the chatter, slightly. But I listened. Davis hears it, too, Mullin said.

``I think he does realize'' how unpopular he has become in many corners, Mullin said of Davis. ``But I would say how quick that can change and how good it feels when you change it.''

Davis has something to prove this season, Mullin said. But so do the rest of his teammates. So does Coach Mike Montgomery. So does Mullin. Absolutely, Mullin, preferably with an impact trade.

And Mullin predicts that he can make it happen fairly soon.

Soon? When?

``Now,'' Mullin said. ``This afternoon. Tomorrow . . .''

That's a promise or a hope or an expectation. But for frenzied Warriors fans, it's something to keep you going.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...rs/15185950.htm

You would think Mullin was trying to trade kevin Garrett or something to us. I can tell you why we bypassed your offer. "We do not want Murphy." You need to come with a better deal and not one to rid yourself of that crazy contract you initiated.

Just curious..

As a basketball player Murphy is at least ALs equal..He doesn't score quite as much but is a MUCH better rebounder..Defensively, I think both players have shortcomings..In a pure basketball sense, Murphy and a 1st is not a bad deal for AL.

My question. is it simply Murphy's contract that everyone hates or is it based on other factors?

if Mullin dosen't understand why we don't want murphy, then he not a good gm.

1.We can't take back players with 5years or more let on thier contract.((Murphy has 5years 50 mil left))

2.We don't need another pf....if we did we would just keep Al

3.No one would be dumb enough to waste 10 million of capspace on T.M

Quote:

Just curious..

As a basketball player Murphy is at least ALs equal..He doesn't score quite as much but is a MUCH better rebounder..Defensively, I think both players have shortcomings..In a pure basketball sense, Murphy and a 1st is not a bad deal for AL.

My question. is it simply Murphy's contract that everyone hates or is it based on other factors?

The thing about Murphy is, where are you going to play him?

Would you start him over Josh Smith or Marvin.I Dont see us paying him 10 mil a year to be a backup.

So if your gonna start Troy over the young guys....then what the is reason for not ressigning Al. Rebounding??

Murphy is 6'11 and 245..I see him as a 4/5 that can log alot of minutes at the center spot in the east..I agree completely on the money part, but I was wondering why everyone here seemed to think he was a bum..He is a quality player, a double doouble machine, who is unfortunately overpaid..

In my mind he alot like AL in the sense he is a good but not great player on a lousy team and probably takes alot more heat than he should..

• Admin

He is a terrible defender and is completely a perimeter player. He doesn't go into the post AT ALL. He can rebound yes but his contract is WAY too much. If he was so easy to trade then GS would have done it already. We should not handcuff our cap with Murphy and his contract.

Guest Walter

We can't take back his 5 year remaining contract according to the court decision.

We're not taking on Dunleavy's, Foyle's contracts either.

Only a 3 team trade could make this work unless Mullins just started giving away young talent along with Murphy.

W