• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Descent

Yubs

If you haven't seen this movie yet, check it out asap. This movie needs to be seen, especially if you appreciate horror movies. Really intense, edge-of-your-seat kind of stuff. Oh, and many of the scenes were shot in the dark, in really cramped and enclosed spaces. So if you're claustrophobic, be prepared...

I love watching (good) horror movies in the theatre, especially with a crowded audience. Not only do you have the privelege of watching a movie on a huge screen with awesome surround sound, but audience reactions add to the experience imo. Especially when something bloody, gorey or scary happens, and the entire audience yelps/gasps/cries out "oh my god!!" almost simultaenously. Awesome.

that part is cool when everyone gets scared together but the other hour & 15 minutes of punk kids talking and wanna be adult movie critics who critique every scene are enough to keep me out. Whatever happened to movie manners?

**SPOILER ALERT!!**

Highlight text to see changes between US and UK ending...

Nothing actually changed between the US and UK ending, except for the fact that the US ending didn't have the "waking up" sequence right after she screams in the car. The US version ends after she screams.

• Admin

That's a pretty big change though!! At least I think it would be. I'll have to see it to judge for myself. But just hearing it, it seems that the US version wants to end with a jump while the UK version ended with you feeling.... I dunno, sad? When you realise where she is in her head and that she's not going to get out, it changes the entire mood of the ending.

It just shows how US movie houses have no faith in the audiences ability to figure anything out for themselves.

Highlight los spoilers:

I actually enjoyed both endings. Screw the noise about the US ending being more happy. They're both equally sad.

The UK ending gave it a sense of closure, with the lady hallucinating about her daughter one last time before she meets her end. The U.S. ending was a bit more grim imo, since she now has to live with the guilt and anguish of murdering not only a bunch of f'ed up, weird creatures, but ending the life of one friend and leaving another (albiet former) friend behind.

But I agree, it does change everything around, since both endings are vastly different, despite the US version only subtracting the last scene out. The US ending prolly opens the movie up for a potential sequel.

• Admin

so the US version... HIGHLIGHT

So just as in the UK version, she made it up the hole, got into the car, drove a bit, stopped, saw her friend in the passenger seat and then woke up back in the cave again?

Just wanted to make sure i'm seeing it right in my head.

Hightlight:

Almost. In the U.S. version, the movie ends right after she sees her friend in the car. She escapes, but it doesn't show her waking up, back in the cave. Her waking up from her dream, only to find herself still in the cave and seeing her daughter are omitted from the U.S. ending. None of that happens in the US version. Just the escape part.

This movie was badass by the way. First time I've seen a horror flick in the theaters (never been into them that much), but this was awesome. Really didn't scare me that much to my surprise, maybe it's because I'm not that claustrophobic. I would recommend this for anyone looking to enjoy some gore. Knowing the ending really didn't ruin it either.

I like the UK ending better by the sound of it too. Much more sinister.

Yeah, I've seen few horror movies at the theatre, but every horror/scary movie I've seen was thoroughly enjoyable. I saw the Ring, Silent Hill, and now The Descent at the movie theatre, and they all ruled. Consequently, every horror movie I rent and watch at home blows and weren't scary at all.

I think the overall atmosphere in a movie theater contributes to how good a horror movie is. Big picture, loud noises, people in the crowd screaming = a better horror movie experience.