• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ultimate Avengers 2

Diesel

• Premium Member

Just bought this for my son and I took a guilty pleasure in watching this myself. I grew up reading Marvel Comics and to me... The Avengers used to be great. There are too many groups to remember but from the top:

Avengers

Defenders

Xmen

Alpha Flight

Anyway, here's my questions for those who may know.

Wasn't Hulk a "Defender" and not an Avenger?

Where's Vision and Silver Surfer?

Wasn't there a time when Thor lost his powers... How did he get them back?

Tony Stark wasn't the only "war machine"?

Wat up Diesel?

As far as I know and can remember, the Avengers and the Defenders were the strongest of all Marvel Super Hero teams and I haven't seen the movie.

I do know that Hulk was indeed a member of the Defenders along with Namor "Submariner", Iceman, and Dr. Strange.

Also, Vision, was a long-time member of the Avengers and so was War Machine (John Rhodes) who is different from Iron Man.

I tell ya, they don't make Super Heroes like they used. I loved the X-men, Alpha Flight, and the rest. Marvel Rules!!!

• Premium Member

I don't think you can even pick up a comic book unless you're in a hobby shop or something.

I believe Hulk must have been an early early Avenger.

But I remember him as a Defender.

I always considered the Xmen as the strongest group...

But then when you consider Silver Surfer and Vision... I don't know.

However, I do remember seeing Prince Namor take the Avengers behind the woodshed.

The Avengers usually had interchangeable heros, so it wasn't always the same people all the time. I think the current incarnations of the Avengers even include the likes of Spider-Man and Wolverine, two people I personally thought would never be in the Avengers. Captain America and Iron Man, however, seem to be eternally bonded to the group, since (I believe) they've been with the group since forever. So at least there is some semblance of consistency with the group.

I like the Avengers, but I'd easily take the Justice League over them. Easily.

• Premium Member

When I first started reading comics... long ago, there was DC and Marvel. I noticed one thing which made Marvel more interesting. Marvel Superheros were regular people with regular people problems. I'm not talking about superheros in disguise.. I'm talking about people who have super powers.

I watched a little about the ultimates from the dvd. They were talking about how this series arose from the comics. They stated how in the comics, Captain America was in the final fight with some villain and the Villain asked if he wanted to surrender and Captain America's response was " Do you think the A on my helmet stand for France?" That's what I'm talking about. Marvel comics have more personality than just wanting to do good. I think Marvel exploits the personality more.

Quote:

What? You'll pick DC over Marvel??

When it comes to the tussle of superhero groups, oh heck yeah I'm choosing the Justice League over the Avengers. Seriously, I can't imagine anyone from the Avengers doing damage to Superman, Wonder Woman or the Martian Manhunter. Iron Man maybe, but thats it. Batman could probably take down the Avengers by himself, since hes 1.) a genius and 2.) at one point in the JL history, he had figured out the weaknesses of all the JL members and could have taken all of them down if he wanted to.

If Silver Surfer was still with the Avengers, then I'd choose them over the JL in a fight, since the Surfer is pretty much a cosmic god. But since hes not with the group... JL > Avengers.

Plus, DC heros have as much depth to their character and personality as Marvel heros do, imo. Batman, for instance, has so much depth to his character, it's insane. You could literally put him in any kind of story and in any situation and it'll work. Ditto for Superman, The Flash, etc. You should watch the DC cartoons - such as Justice League Unlimited and the Batman cartoon series by Dini and Timm - to get a taste of their rich history and character.

And I am officially a big nerd. frown.gif

• Premium Member

Since I've started comics... some time ago, DC has changed.. DC started adding more personality and their characters (I assume) do things for more than just it being the right thing to do.

However, back to the Avengers vs. JL.

Give me Hulk and Thor and all of the Justice League is over and done. I won't even mention Silver Surfer and Vision.

I remember when Marvel and DC had their crossover special a few years back, they pitted the Hulk against Superman in a test of might and sheer brute strength. If I remember correctly, I believe Superman defeated the Hulk, albiet by the slimmest of margins.

But yeah, if the JL fought the Avengers that included the Hulk, Thor and Iron Man, it would be pretty tough. But then again, if the JL had Captain Marvel and Plastic Man in their ranks for this fight, welllllllll, I wouldn't be too sure of an Avenger's victory. In fact, a DC victory may be inevitable in that case...

• Premium Member

I still read comics. You can only get them at comic book stores now sadly but feel free to pick them up. Its "not for kids" in that the vast majority of regluar comics are aimed at twenty-thirtysomething audience. Its not full of "mature" content (you can get those comics if you want and some of them are quite good) but it has real characters dealing with real issues.

I currently read on my "pull" list (ie the comic book store owner will pull these comics down for me and make sure to order at least 1 for me) Moon Knight, Cable and Deadpool, X-men, Excalibur and Iron Man.