• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Critical Evaluation of Assistant Coaches .

HAWKEYE

I know Woody will get all the heat but what do you think of the job our assistants are doing. They are responsible for much of the one on one workouts, player development, practice, in game adjustments and head coach suggestions.

Larry Drew -- Herb Brown -- Bob Bender -- Greg Ballard-- David Fizdale -- Pete Radulovic . Some very successful teams have former NBA coaches with lots of experience. Herb Brown, Larry Brown's older brother, has the most experience. Do some "seem" to be little more than clip board carriers.

• 1 month later...

Quote:

I know Woody will get all the heat but what do you think of the job our assistants are doing. They are responsible for much of the one on one workouts, player development, practice, in game adjustments and head coach suggestions.

Larry Drew -- Herb Brown -- Bob Bender -- Greg Ballard-- David Fizdale -- Pete Radulovic . Some very successful teams have former NBA coaches with lots of experience. Herb Brown, Larry Brown's older brother, has the most experience. Do some "seem" to be little more than clip board carriers.

Our you satisfied with player development under these assistants? Could a tweaking in the staff over the off season have helped?

Quote:

Quote:

Our you satisfied with player development under these assistants? Could a tweaking in the staff over the off season have helped?

Hawkeye with all due respect, How are we to know with any certainty the assistants performance?

Hawkeye with all due respect, How are we to know with any

certainty the assistants performance?

I look how Josh's handles have not improved. Last year he was dribbling off his foot or losing his dribble by dribbling too high because of not being able to see both where he was going and maintaining his dribble. I believe his coaching at the high school level and the one on one that the assistants at the NBA level should have helped him show some measurable improvement. He can not depend on as we all can agree on super athletism and not work on fundamentals. His turnovers are still high and will continue into the season. I think that is why he can be found hanging at the perimeter for the kickouts because his his handles will hurt him in the post or taking it to the basket to at least get to the foul line. Sometimes his finishing is hurt resulting in his losing the ball at the rim. We are aware that he has smaller than ususal hands for his size but a Kevin Willis with even smaller hands that he could not even palm the ball for a man his size made a long and productive career. Josh should have been project #1. If Josh had been instructed to work on his handles with the same amount of time he put in the weight room maybe he would be further along the line.

Our interior defense last year w/Zaza included should have improved. I know we had personnel problems (Edwards- Esteban,etc.), but the cake walk by opposing offenses I see adjustments even made at high school games than what we showed. We could have at least Este execute some hard fouls each game and every game ,if necessary, to get some respect in the middle. I could go on and on but I don't think all of this can be laid at the feet of Woody. Where do the assistants have some responsibility and accountablility for this. They should be spending the bulk of the time with the players and should be at the top of their profession or at least NBA caliber.

I think he's talking about the assistants as a whole.

I'm not a sophisticated enough fan to evaluate our assistant's job. Usually when the head coach goes most of the assistants get the axe as well. So I usually only judge coaching without distinguishing how well the head coach is and separately how well the assistant coaches are doing.

I'll say this. Larry Drew scares me as a professional coach. Only because I heard some audio of him from his playing days talking about how he would relax a little on defense so he could focus on offense. Also because of his alleged drug addictions from his playing days. To me it's like having Shawn Kemp or Vin Baker as one of our assistants.

Quote:

I think he's talking about the assistants as a whole.

I'm not a sophisticated enough fan to evaluate our assistant's job. Usually when the head coach goes most of the assistants get the axe as well. So I usually only judge coaching without distinguishing how well the head coach is and separately how well the assistant coaches are doing.

I'll say this. Larry Drew scares me as a professional coach. Only because I heard some audio of him from his playing days talking about how he would relax a little on defense so he could focus on offense. Also because of his alleged drug addictions from his playing days. To me it's like having Shawn Kemp or Vin Baker as one of our assistants.

Larry Drew played in a time when defenses were not as intense as now.

Perhaps you are confusing Larry Drew with John Drew. Get it straight. Even so many have beaten an addiction.