• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

We need to acquire more talent than the Bobcats

Blunt91

Every year when I pick up a NBA preview Magazine, the Hawks and Bobcats are always running neck and neck for the 4th or 5th position in the Southeast division. This year we are still seated in the 5th position by most analysts. So to me for the Hawks to get into the playoffs or be a successful team, we need to distance ourselves record wise and talent wise from the Bobcats. Next summer we need to have another big signing, similar to but maybe not as big as the JJ signing in 2005. IMO this is the only move that would put some distance between us and the Bobcats in our division. I don't know who the player would be(Chris Kaman would help and make us deeper)but I do know next summer will be very important. We may have to lose one of our young guys to get the next piece of the puzzle we need.

I agree we have to keep acquiring talent. I think the Hawks are targeting Dwight Howard. We can do a SnT with Orlando giving up two pieces to get him. Of course this depends on Howard actually wanting to play for the Hawks, but from what I have read, it sounds like its on his mind.

Orlando could find themselves in another Shaq situation. That is, they get the best player in that draft only to loose him to a city that is more attractive.

Provided the Hawks are willing to trade Marvin & Shelden that still leaves Josh Smith and Josh Childress to resign along with picking up the contract of whatever Howard signs for with Orlando. We wouldn't have the money to make this fantasy come true. Howard will resign with Orlando in 2008 and play there another 4 or 5years before any team has a chance to acquire him. Maybe by the time he is 27 the Hawks will have a chance at him. We will have to find another route to make us successful.

Why do you say that? If he wants to come to Atlanta after next year, Orlando has two choices they can either SnT him or they can sign him to a one year contract and then he walks for nothing. This is very similar to the JJ or Curry situation. If the player isn't interested in returning, then he can force the situation. From what I have read, Howard is interested in coming to Atlanta. That may or may not come out, but I would bet the Hawks will make a play for him.

The price of Marivin and Shellhead is a little steep, but I would pay it if Howard continues to develop like he has over the past two seasons.

i'd like nothing more than to see marvin to blow up huge, but i would have to say i'd probably rather see dwight and josh s. in hawks' uniforms than marvin and josh. i wouldn't mind seeing marvin and dwight, either.

if i'm not mistaken, the bobcats will be plenty under the salary cap and able to make a huge offseason aquisition, too. seems like the bobcats and hawks perenially have capspace to sign f.a.s. hopefully the hawks leagal problems will be resolved and they can start spending that cash, and johnson and jordan will continue to just be cheap owners and not sign anyone major.

I vaguely remember something about a life's goals list that Dwight made as a kid. One of them was playing for the Hawks, I think. In the story, it sounded as though Dwight still took this list seriously even after he was the #1 pick in the draft (one of the goals on the list). I can't remember where I saw this list mentioned, so I haven't been able to relocate it.

You still didn't answer my question. If Howard is looking to get a $60million deal then How can we offered that contract along with Joe Johnson's and whatever Josh Smith & J Chill are wanting? It is not a matter of fact whether he wants to come but can we afford to pay him and keep a few of our other young talents.

In regards to where I saw that Howard wants to play in Atlanta- I should have saved the article but I didn't. It was some time over the summer, though.

As for creating cap space for Howard, I don't think that is a problem per se. If the Hawks want Howard, they can create the space to sign him. We'll have eiher Smith or Marvin along side him plus Z playing the middle. JJ will be at the 2 and then from there they can fill out the roster with lower cost players.

The point is, if both sides want it, they will find a way to make it happen. I do agree that if the legal situation is not resolved then chances of this happening are low if not nil.