• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

SI Projects Hawks as Borderline Playoff Team

AHF

• Moderators

Here is some respect for Atlanta from an article identifying critical players on borderline playoff teams, the Kings, Lakers, Hawks, Sixers and Jazz:

Quote:

Atlanta Hawks

What? Atlanta a playoff team? It could happen. Because anyone on the Hawks by definition qualifies as off the radar, I could cheat a little and offer up Joe Johnson, but my guess is that Johnson, currently third in the league in scoring behind Allen Iverson and LeBron James, will make his first All-Star team (as a roster addition).

The real unknown key here is Zaza Pachulia, a 6-11 center with formidable skills (though a mild case of turnover-itis). He is getting 18.3 points and 6.8 rebounds per game, and, if the Hawks have truly found chemistry and an identity, Zaza will soon be identified as one of the top big men in the East rather than a guy whose name suggests someone working the pole at one of those, uh, dance clubs so cherished by NBA players.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ....players/1.html

Quote:

Here is some respect for Atlanta from an article identifying critical players on borderline playoff teams, the Kings, Lakers, Hawks, Sixers and Jazz:

Quote:

Atlanta Hawks

What? Atlanta a playoff team? It could happen. Because anyone on the Hawks by definition qualifies as off the radar, I could cheat a little and offer up Joe Johnson, but my guess is that Johnson, currently third in the league in scoring behind Allen Iverson and LeBron James, will make his first All-Star team (as a roster addition).

The real unknown key here is Zaza Pachulia, a 6-11 center with formidable skills (though a mild case of turnover-itis). He is getting 18.3 points and 6.8 rebounds per game, and, if the Hawks have truly found chemistry and an identity, Zaza will soon be identified as one of the top big men in the East rather than a guy whose name suggests someone working the pole at one of those, uh, dance clubs so cherished by NBA players.

That stripper joke is a real reach!

I'd say borderline playoff team is probably about right.

Has anyone seen our schedule? 6-3 from here if Woodson can coach a little and remind the guys of the new emphasis on the basics by the refs. We can win in spite of him. I'm not being dumb. This team has a chance to get on a roll if certain things happen. Here's a quick breakdown.

1. Toronto - We could and should beat them.

2. Seattle - Ditto. Especially at home. I'll be there. I

think there will be a decent turnout to feed from.

3. Milwaukee - Two days to prepare for a weak Bucks team. I'm confident.

4. Miami - Three more days to prepare. A real test.

5. Detroit - Three more days. Another test. Possibly from a Miami loss and time to think about it.

6. Toronto - See above. We're at home as well.

7. Orlando - Dwight Howard or not, I think they're terrible.

8. Washington - Can we contain Arenas? Road pressure.

9. Charlotte - Does anyone really think the Bobcats are better than us?

I think it could be a great month and start a lot of good things.

Quote:

Quote:

Atlanta Hawks

i'll take it. this is leaps and bounds from the lack of respect we were getting nationally just before the season tipped off.