• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

did we get jacked on the Rentzias deal????

flava

Path to Sixers clears for Greek big man

By PHIL JASNER

jasnerp@phillynews.com

This is the fascinating formula that apparently will bring Efthimios Rentzias to the 76ers:

FC Barcelona, Rentzias' team in Spain, decided against picking up an option on his contract yesterday, clearing the way for him to open negotiations with the Sixers.

"They had to notify me in writing by 6 p.m. [yesterday] if they were exercising their option," said Keith Glass, Rentzias' agent. "That didn't happen."

Instead, Barcelona was required to pay Rentzias a buyout fee that will net him nearly $200,000. Had he remained in Spain, his contract for next season would have been worth nearly $1 million.

"I think the people over there think he'll still re-sign with them, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen," Glass said.

The 6-11 Rentzias, taken No. 23 in the first round of the 1996 NBA draft by Denver, will play for his native Greece in the World Championships this summer. For NBA salary-cap purposes, he can be paid within the limits of the pay scale for the No. 23 pick this year. The slotted starting salary is $752,800, which can be negotiated up or down by a maximum of 20 percent; as with any rookie contract, it includes a three-year guarantee.

"I hope things work out," Sixers general manager Billy King said via e-mail. "They look good right now."

Glass described Rentzias, 26, as a power forward for NBA purposes; he was listed as a center on the Barcelona roster. He averaged 9.2 points and 3.5 rebounds in 17.3 minutes in 51 games this season. He spent five seasons with Barcelona and has been a member of the Greek national team since 1994.

His NBA rights were traded to Atlanta in 1997. The Sixers sent second-round draft choices in 2004 and 2006 to the Hawks to acquire those rights Wednesday night. He never has played in the NBA.

"Philly is a terrific spot for him because their coaches teach and he wants to learn," Glass said. "He's not going to come in and change the franchise, and that's not what they expect. But this is a way for him to reach his potential."

-------------------------

just wondering, is this going to be another one of the trades we seriously regret? two second rounders isn't much...

flava

i think Pete knew he could come and play in the nba this year. I guess it was just to free up space since we are already over the limit of players.